Wedding Woes

More with people being dicks

Geeze!

Dear Prudence,
I have a question concerning the etiquette of saving seats for people at events with open seating. I grew up in England where we were taught that such practice was rude and just made it more difficult for everyone. Maybe in America the homesteading tradition means it’s OK to stake your claim. I’m a father with a child in high school, and recently I went to see a musical performance of my child’s at school. I arrived in good time but the bleachers were packed. Finally, in the last row, I tried to sit down, but the woman on the aisle said the entire bench was saved. There was nowhere else for me to go, so I sat down anyway. Then she and several friends of hers started lecturing me and saying I had to move. It got heated and someone said he hoped he didn’t have to call the police! Eventually a couple in the row in front graciously offered to make room for me. Shouldn’t there be a moral obligation to make the best of the situation and accommodate everyone, even if that means moving around or sitting apart?

—Seatless

Re: More with people being dicks

• He lives near a bunch of dicks. I've been in situations like that and normally if you just explain that there isn't room, people are okay.
  • Geeze!

Dear Prudence,
    I have a question concerning the etiquette of saving seats for people at events with open seating. I grew up in England where we were taught that such practice was rude and just made it more difficult for everyone. Maybe in America the homesteading tradition means it’s OK to stake your claim. I’m a father with a child in high school, and recently I went to see a musical performance of my child’s at school. I arrived in good time but the bleachers were packed. Finally, in the last row, I tried to sit down, but the woman on the aisle said the entire bench was saved. There was nowhere else for me to go, so I sat down anyway. Then she and several friends of hers started lecturing me and saying I had to move. It got heated and someone said he hoped he didn’t have to call the police! Eventually a couple in the row in front graciously offered to make room for me. Shouldn’t there be a moral obligation to make the best of the situation and accommodate everyone, even if that means moving around or sitting apart?

—Seatless

CALL THE POLICE??!

Really?  What on earth did those people think the police would do? It's open seating; he had every right to sit in an open seat.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Also I can see saving a seat before the event starts, but not an entire row, after the event started and was packed.

No way, Jose!
  • I want to type Team Oface, and that just seems so horribly horribly wrong and right.
  • *fist pump* 

Yeah. 

I did it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards