Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Dessert Reception

Im just looking for feedback on my menu for the desserts. I feel like it might be too much or maybe not enough, im not sure? 

Background:
Renewal at 2pm, Reception around 3pm. Around 50 people

Menu:
Cake/Cupcakes *this is set in stone as the order for the baker has been set
Pies (pumpkin, apple, peach and cherry?)
Cookies (chocolate chip) *this is set in stone as my husbands work is providing these
Brownies
Ice Cream (neopolitan?)
Fruit

Lemonade
Tea * husbands work providing
Coffee
Water

Im unsure about the amount of pies and if i should have the fruit or ice cream. Should I take things out? Add something? The invites have been sent and i had Dessert Reception so i cant change it completely. 

Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

Re: Dessert Reception

• Can you add some savory food for people who don't like sugar (or don't want to overload)?  Pita and hummus, crackers and cheese, veggies and dip.  
  • I threw a dessert reception for my in-law's 50th wedding anniversary. Ice cream is  pain in the butt, so I would cut that out. What flavor are the cakes / cupcakes?  If they're chocolate, I would skip the brownies, and go with something like lemon bars instead.  You could also consier adding something nutty to the mix, like mini pecan pies / tarts.  Have you looked into mini single serving desserts, or are you cutting large pies?  We found people liked a mix of miniature desserts over full size servings of one dessert.  Cutting apple and cherry pies into pieces smaller than 1/8th of a pie would be difficult too.
  • Meh, what you have is okay. I wouldn't want much dessert at 3pm. I'd have a cup of coffee and some cake.

My DH probably wouldn't have anything.

Definitely skip the ice cream unless you're hiring someone to dish it up.
  • If you have ice cream, you need to make sure it can be kept cold so it doesn't melt.

I'd leave the fruit in so that people like diabetics who need to avoid sugar can eat something.
  • ddhb2007 said:
    I threw a dessert reception for my in-law's 50th wedding anniversary. Ice cream is  pain in the butt, so I would cut that out. What flavor are the cakes / cupcakes?  If they're chocolate, I would skip the brownies, and go with something like lemon bars instead.  You could also consier adding something nutty to the mix, like mini pecan pies / tarts.  Have you looked into mini single serving desserts, or are you cutting large pies?  We found people liked a mix of miniature desserts over full size servings of one dessert.  Cutting apple and cherry pies into pieces smaller than 1/8th of a pie would be difficult too.

I agree with this.  Lemon bars sound nice instead of brownies. And/or rice krispie treats.  Possibly add some cookies to the chocolate chip like peanut butter and oatmeal raisin.  Maybe an apple strudel or tart instead of pie so it can be cut into smaller portions.

What you have sounds nice, it just depends on how much flavor variety you want.  I also agree with PP that guests may like some savory options too.

• Ok so ill take out the ice cream. My husbands work is now doing the fruit. Ill cancel the brownies and I like the idea of rice krispies or some other type of bar. I could do something savory, ill think on that. 

Thanks and I feel better having asked. :) 

Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• I love desserts, so I would be in heaven.  However, some people might have diabetes or be on a diet or something.  So, I would keep the fruit and maybe even offer a sugar-free option with a sign or something to let people know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards