Wedding Etiquette Forum

Okay another question - ceremony at 8PM is ridiculous?

The only available time slot at the chapel is 8PM ceremony (Labor day weekend Saturday). Does it sound too late? People also have to drive 10miles after the ceremony. (The ceremony should be done in 20 mins though) Needs some ideas! Thanks!

Re: Okay another question - ceremony at 8PM is ridiculous?

• If you're planning to serve a full meal, then yes, 9:00pm is too late to be starting dinner.

If you're planning a dessert reception, your ceremony time is fine.

Just be prepared that older guests and guests with children are less likely to attend a late event.
  • You can do it, but expect low attendance. Between it being Labor Day weekend and very late, lots of people may not be able to make it. Be sure to provide dinner for anyone who will actually be in your wedding, though... if you've got them prepping and taking pictures before the ceremony, they're gonna be hungry!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. 
  • I wouldn't mind a wedding starting at 8, however keep the length of the drive (not just the miles) in mind as well.  And I wouldn't expect dinner so you might want to be very clear on your invites/reception cards so you don't end up with 100 people picking at plates because they already ate.  If I knew dinner was being served, I would have a late lunch and wait to eat.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's late for a full meal, but cocktails and dessert should be okay.
  • The only available time slot at the chapel is 8PM ceremony (Labor day weekend Saturday). Does it sound too late? People also have to drive 10miles after the ceremony. (The ceremony should be done in 20 mins though) Needs some ideas! Thanks!
    Wait, I'm confused.  Your previous post said your ceremony was at 2pm and there was no way to move it.  What's the real deal?  Do you have the ceremony and reception booked?
  • I figured 8pm is an option. I did a soft hold on the ceremony site :)
  • I would enjoy an 8:00 p.m. wedding on a Saturday.  I wouldn't want a full meal though - just appetizers, cocktails, and wedding cake!
  • 8:00pm would be good if you do a appetizers and cake or desserts. I would enjoy something like that.
  • 8pm wouldn't bother me, but that's almost normal for NYC. 
  • 8PM wouldn't bother me either. However, I live in an urban area and it's not unusual for people to eat closer to 8:30 or 9PM.
  • I would enjoy an 8:00 p.m. wedding on a Saturday.  I wouldn't want a full meal though - just appetizers, cocktails, and wedding cake!
    This.
  • I figured 8pm is an option. I did a soft hold on the ceremony site :)
    Are you assuming it is an option or did the ceremony site tell you that 8pm was an option?  Big difference when it comes to planning.

• I am also confused because in your other post you said your ceremony was starting at 2 and would be over around 3:30. Now you're saying your 8pm ceremony the same place would be 20 min? That's a big difference
  • Are you stuck on the Aquarium?? I live in the area and there are plenty of reception sites that would work with your original 2 pm ceremony, but why not find another day that isn't so booked? You haven't officially booked anything, so why would it matter if you changed the date? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's pretty a-typical for where I'm from (the Midwest), but if it's generally accepted in your area, go for it. I would be prepared for people to decline, though (esp. since it's on Labor Day weekend).

Are you sure there isn't another date/another location that would provide a happy medium for you?

• 16maybeless16maybeless member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    I've been to an 8 PM wedding where cocktails, cake, and hors d'oeuvre were served afterward. It ended at 11. Very normal for an urban area, I think? Especially if it's not a full seated dinner.
  • Saturday of Labor Day weekend? Expect a bunch of declines. People have standing plans that weekend. 
  • I wouldn't mind a wedding that started at 8PM.  Just be sure to advertise on the invites/website if it is cocktails/dessert or a full dinner.  Perosnally I wouldn't know what to eat before unless I was told what type fo food was being served.  I would hate to eat light and only get apps, or eat a lot and then waste a four course meal!
  • I am very confused, a couple of days back you said you were booking a golf club as the reception venue, then on your other post it was an aquarium and now the times are completely different too ..... Lost!
  • She also posted that she wants to have a destination wedding. I am also confused.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards