Plus-Sized

Opinions wanted (Dress PIP)

So a while back I mentioned that I got this great lace jacket - that was black. I think I've decided to just wear it for the reception (so I don't feel so exposed), but do we think I still need to get something for more coverage during the ceremony? (it's not required for religious reasons or anything, just trying to decide if my arms are OK as is... I think the rest of me is fine (gorgeous even) in my dress, but my upper arms? not so much... 

I could also rock the black jacket for the ceremony if I wanted/needed to.... 

Three photos: Dress from the front w/ veil, dress from the back with the veil, and dress with black lace jacket. 

Re: Opinions wanted (Dress PIP)

• I'm going to be totally honest here, and I hope that's what you wanted. But, that lace jacket doesn't look good with your amazing dress.   It takes away from the structure of the dress and actually makes you look frumpy.  You have a great shape, and the dress hides your shape and the pretty bling on the dress. 

The neckline goes up pretty high, so I'm not sure what coverage you are worried about, but your arms and back look fine.

• I kind of agree with QueerFemme.  The jacket covers up details of the dress and you shape looks best, IMO, in the dress without the jacket covering up the waistline.  I recommend a bolero, wrap, or asking your seamstress if they can add little sleeves. 
  • I like the jacket, but have to agree with PP that it's hides some of the beautiful details of your dress and your small waist. I understand the desire to have something over your arms, what about something more a bolerio style? That way you will have the coverage you want without taking away from a beautifl dress that you look great in.
  • @queerfemme Coverage was a bad word - I meant arm coverage :o) I am with you a bit on the frump, and want to have it altered so it fits a little better. 

The challenge has been finding a plus sized bolero that is attractive, but not hella expensive. The ones at DB don't do it for me, unfortunately (I
    really don't like them). 

But thanks, all, for your feedback. I think I'm just worried about how my arms are going to look in photos. That's super vain of me, but it is what it is. 

• @queerfemme Coverage was a bad word - I meant arm coverage :o) I am with you a bit on the frump, and want to have it altered so it fits a little better. 

The challenge has been finding a plus sized bolero that is attractive, but not hella expensive. The ones at DB don't do it for me, unfortunately (I really don't like them). 

But thanks, all, for your feedback. I think I'm just worried about how my arms are going to look in photos. That's super vain of me, but it is what it is. 

Seriously, your arms look fine. I know it sucks to be insecure about your arms. But, that dress looks 100% better on you with your arms showing than with that sweater.  You would have to have at least 6 inches cut off the bottom of the sweater and have it severely altered to actually have it look like it is flattering with that dress.   With a skirt, a cami or blouse and some tights, yeah, that sweater would look great. But, it isn't doing anything for you or your gorgeous dress. 

Have you tried Etsy for a bolero?  Or talked to your seamstress about just adding some cap sleeves? 

• I agree 100% with everything @queerfemme said.  You look beautiful in your dress by itself.  If you really want to hide your arms a bolero or a pashmina worn as a wrap would look much more flattering with your dress.
  • you need a shorter jacket. i too am totally insecure about my arms as well i am having an additional strap added to my mori lee gown but my church would like you to be a little more covered. still trying to figure out what do do about that. 

your dress is amazing but the jacket hides all of that 
  • I also think the jacket would have to be completely shortened to be close to flattering. It's like putting a hoodie on over your dress! I get how that is more comfortable, especially since I'm in a hoodie always, but i think the jacket hides the dress too much. Plus, it's black. I wouldn't like that for the ceremony, but it's your ceremony and your choice there! I also think you should see if they can't just add sleeves. I've seen them do pretty cheap and awesome sleeve/wrap options!
  • I agree with everyone. Just say no! Cap sleeves, a bolero, even a cardigan with a belt (dear me, how I love brides in cardigans!)

Look how pretty this is!
    imageimage

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • That's super cute!!!
  • I agree with most of the PPs.  The jacket really draws attention, and not in a good way.  The color is distracting and the length and shape are all wrong.

I'd like to add, I think you look FABULOUS in the photos with no jacket.  Honestly, I really hope you skip the cover up.  You don't need it, and all it usually does is draw more attention to the parts you are trying to cover up.
  • I also think you look amazing in your dress and would skip the jacket all together
  • I would skip the jacket. But if you are like my mom and you hate to have your arms showing, you have a couple of options.

1. Get a cute oversized scarf. Drape it over your shoulders and tie it behind your back. Voila, hidden arms without hidden dress.
    2. Shorten the jacket you have, so that it doesn't hide your pretty dress.
    3. Remember that everyone coming to your wedding loves you just the way you are, and you have nothing to hide from them. Go jacketless and have a ton of fun.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I agree with everyone else. Lose the jacket. You dress and arms look beautiful without it. I really dont like that jacket. ugh. If you are concerned- get something like this- 

Married 10/09/11
    Miss Claire born 5/29/13
    Our Happy Little Family
  • debmonn said:
    I agree with everyone. Just say no! Cap sleeves, a bolero, even a cardigan with a belt (dear me, how I love brides in cardigans!)

Look how pretty this is!
    imageimage
    oh my goodness I love that! Its perfect to hide my arms not lacy like gown sleeves. What would you suggest for material for both. This pic the dress looks maybe satin and the sweater just cotton. My colors are purple(s) and silver/gray. I think a purple one would be too much.
  • @coronado11

I think a silvery or thistle-colored (greyishpurpleish) cardi would be super cute.
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:
    @coronado11

I think a silvery or thistle-colored (greyishpurpleish) cardi would be super cute.
    with purple belt? I love how the one you posted is fitted. I dont want it loose around the base. I think im obsessed now! Your genius!

• @coronado11

@Debmonn came up with it, I bow to her superior awesomeness. But yeah, I would totally do a belted cardi, it would be adorable. image
    eyeroll
  • Oh no.....what is with all this cardigan talk??  A cotton cardigan paired with a formal wedding dress??  It looks completely out of place.....much better suited to a pair of jeans.
  • I like the cardigan thing if it's done well (like in the photo above).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards