Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Music options for small event - help!

I am at a complete loss when it comes to music or how to decide this! I thought maybe you guys could provide some input or make suggestions that I haven't thought of. 

Our wedding: 9/20/14, at a historic B&B, theme: country chic. It is a small event, with about 45 of our closest friends and family (2nd marriage for both of us). We are not having a traditional 'bridal party' - my oldest son is walking me down the aisle, my 11 yo twins are best man/MOH, and his neice/nephew are flower girl/ring bearer. So, we don't need a lot of time to walk down the aisle, though I'd like to choose one song for the processional. (One song should be sufficient, right?)

So far, I have considered live music for guests arriving/ceremony/cocktail hour, then possibly switch to the ipod playlist idea. OR, I could do a DJ for the entire event. Being a small event and knowing my guests, I bet that most of them won't even dance, but I still want music and would like to have our first dance, etc.  Budget is also in mind, which is why I am not sure I can do both live music and a DJ.

Thoughts?

Re: Music options for small event - help!

• Personally, I would probably do a DJ for the whole thing. Especially if most won't dance, then the DJ will at least be there for the dances you want and can read the crowd and determine what they're wanting to hear and what they ARE dancing to. 
  • I would do a DJ for the whole thing. Otherwise, by doing live music then switching to an ipod, you're going to need to make sure you've got speakers, a power supply, etc, set up and ready to go as soon as the ceremony ends. Also, if you spend hours laboring over a playlist,you're not going to be able to change it on the fly based on the mood of the crowd like a DJ can. 
  • Thanks guys, I agree with both of you.  FI would really like something live during the ceremony, so now we are back to look at both.  This is turning out to be more complicated than picking the venue!  Lol  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards