Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Father of the Bride as Officiant?

Hey all,

So my dad is a ordained minister and has been or over 30 years. He was the officiant at both of my brothers weddings and I would like him to do that for my wedding too. I also want him to be able to fill the traditional roles of the father of the bride (walking me down the isle, giving me away, etc.) because I know that it's important to him (he also really wants to officiate the wedding). I'm wondering how he can do both without it being weird. I think it would be strange or him to give me away (which is a pretty powerful and symbolic gesture even if it is a little old-fashioned) and then to come back and be go-between for my fiance and I and God. Giving the bride away signifies the father stepping out of the daughter's life (as a caretaker and protector) I think it would be odd for him to do that but then step back in. So I have three ideas

1. Both of my parents walk me down the isle. My mom gives me away saying "Her Father and I" when asked who is giving the bride away. Pros: My dad still gets to walk me down the isle and officiate (plus my mom gets to be a part of the ceremony). Cons: He doesn't get to voice the giving me away part.
2. My dad walks me down the isle, gives me away, and still officates.
3. My dad walks me down the isle, gives me away, and we have someone else step in to officiate (not my favorite option, since we don't know many minsters who have a connection to both of us).

What do you all think? Any other ideas?

Re: Father of the Bride as Officiant?

• I like number 1.  It's a reasonable compromise.
  • "Giving away" the bride has really fallen out of favor. Your parents aren't "giving" you to your FI like the days of old. You should be an adult making your own choice. I know you seem to like the concept, but it's nowhere near a requirement and no one will notice that your dad didn't say it.

Btw aisle not isle.
  • I think either 1 or 2.  If you went with option 2, I think he could walk you down the aisle, kiss you on the cheek or something, then join you and the groom's hands together, then officiate.
  • What do your parents think? Have you asked them?
  • doeydo said:
    I think either 1 or 2.  If you went with option 2, I think he could walk you down the aisle, kiss you on the cheek or something, then join you and the groom's hands together, then officiate.
    I like this.  My ex-h will be officiating at our DD's wedding next Summer.  We haven't talked about it yet, but I am sure it will go something like what doeydo describes above.
  • When we got married it was by my dad in my dads church. He walked me down and then turned around and did the ceremony. I LOVED it! LOVED it LOVED it! (can you tell i loved it? lol)

It was a tad weird for him to turn around but it wasnt a problem and it went smoothly. 
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• I have the same issue. My dad is doing both. Another minister is going to lead the ceremony until my dad gives me away and then my dad will take over from there. 
  • @leahschroder it is your day I think you can decide what fits both for you and your family. 
  • I am loving this! My sister was my MOH and our officiant. She came down the aisle just before me and Mom did, turned and picked up her iPad for the script. Everyone was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed the ceremony.
  • My cousin had this happen (Her dad was an Anglican priest) and her brother walked her down the aisle, It was both well received and really sweet.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards