Registry and Gift Forum

Good everyday dishware?

I'm a little different from most brides on this one--I obtained an amazing vintage china collection years ago. What we actually need is everyday dishware, as I'm busily breaking my way through a set of plain white BBB plates.

I liked these http://m.crateandbarrel.com/marin-blue-16-piece-dinnerware-set/s470922, but we don't have a local C&B so I'm not sure how well they hold up. We also have a Macy's registry. Looking for something fairly classic, durable, and not super-girly in neutral or earth tones. Thoughts?

Re: Good everyday dishware?

• Durable - Correlle FTW! I love my everyday Correlle dishes. Practically indestructible, microwave & dishwasher safe. They have a ton of designs. But they aren't your chunky standard type everyone gets lately. Personally, I like that they are thinner and lighter. You can register for them at Target, not sure where else.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We use Pfaltzgraff. With some Fiestaware serving pieces.
  • My mom loves Corelle as well, but these are the ones we decided on from macy's: http://www1.macys.com/shop/wedding-registry/product/martha-stewart-collection-dinnerware-lisbon-grey-square-4-piece-place-setting?ID=697137&CategoryID=53629

We saw them in person this weekend and I love them. They have both round and square design. I like that it's a neutral color so no matter what table cloth or serving bowls or plate mats we use it will go along with it great
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We have Fiesta for every-day dishes. It's held up so far with nothing chipping or breaking. It's quite inexpensive and the brand has been around forever, so I'm not worried about replacing things if I ever need to. We haven't had it for a very long time though, so I don't know about longevity...
    *********************************************************************************

• My family has a set of Corelle dishes we have had for quite awhile. I think we've only broke one or two items. They stand up to lots of use.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I registered for and absolutely love the Gordan Ramsay line from Royal Doulton. There are basic sets, and a bunch of matching pieces (roasters, serving bowls, etc). There are a few colors. I actually got both a light blue and a plain white. I love the colored look, but I realized it's easier to dress up a table all year long using white plates and then sticking with whatever's in season with table cloths, etc.

That is the yuppiest sounding thing I've ever said/thought/wrote/pixelated.
  • Corelle dishes are quality everyday dishware. I have had a set that was my parents, then my brothers, and then mine and in between there they were camping dishes. They stand up really well and in the case that you do happen to break one they are easy and cheap to replace.
  • Macy's has Corelle and Fiesta. Both are durable and can go oven or microwave to table and are dishwasher safe.
  • OK I don't want to offend people, but I can't do Corelle.  Sure it's durable, but it's a very strange material/texture.  It's always felt really cheap to me.

I would second Fiesta - good quality, 1,000 different shaped pieces in every color imaginable, and you have to really really try to break it.  This is what we got because I couldn't make up my mind on colors, and H and I couldn't agree on how the cereal bowls should be shaped.  Sounds stupid, but it gave us multiple options for different bowls - so he has his, and I have mine.

Crate & Barrel's dinnerware is also pretty high quality, on average.  Check the reviews and see if there are consistent issues that people report.  You might want to just do that set since you like it.  My experience is that about 90% of our gifts were ordered online and dinnerware was the fastest thing to go.  It's the traditional wedding gift, so I wouldn't worry so much about not getting it just because you don't have a C&B near you.  Bonus: C&B has $5 flat rate shipping, which is incredibly appealing for a lot of folks.

Also, you might want to check out Denby.  Macy's sells it  It's earth-toned and more rustic-looking than fiesta, which only features solid colors:

Lenox has also come out with a blue version of their Tin Can Alley line.  This is very high quality.  It's actually bone china, though it has no metal rims so it should be dishwasher and microwave safe:

Also check out Noritake Colorwave - comes in a variety of colors but it's a bit more modern than the others:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will say that C&B discontinues their dinnerware at a faster rate than most brands.  If you stick to a national brand like Lenox, Wedgwood, Noritake, etc. your dinnerware isn't likely to be discontinued very quickly.  They typically (though not always) give their patterns a few years at minimum before discontinuing.  The popular ones never get discontinued.  Example: Old Country Roses by Royal Albert has been around since the 60's.  It's the single most popular china pattern in the history of china patterns - though Lenox's Opal Innocence has had higher sales the last 10 years and will eventually overtake it.

Point is, if you pick a popular one you will never have problems replacing it.  Likewise, if you pick one that's been around 5-10 years or more, they will have made enough of it that finding it on replacements.com or ebay will never be a problem.  My mother's formal pattern was discontinued years ago (Colorado by Wedgwood), and yet my dad still buys her pieces from these sellers.  The used/antique market is literally flooded with them.

On the other hand, if enough pieces break you can always use that as a reason to buy a new pattern.  I've decided that's going to be my model because I love dinnerware and would get bored with the same thing for the next 30 years. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI and I decided on basic stoneware that is lower cost than most of the "good" everyday dishware.

We have a similar set now that is just starting to have pieces break after about 5 years of everyday use.  They don't last forever but the price reflects it and we just registered for an extra set (4 settings) so we can keep one in the closet for when that starts to happen.  We went this route because we couldn't find any patterns FI liked, he hates white plates and didn't like Fiesta, if he'd been open to white we probably would have gone with something from Lenox or Noritake.
  • elBecko said:
    hoffse said:

I would second Fiesta - good quality, 1,000 different shaped pieces in every color imaginable, and you have to really really try to break it.  This is what we got because I couldn't make up my mind on colors, and H and I couldn't agree on how the cereal bowls should be shaped.  Sounds stupid, but it gave us multiple options for different bowls - so he has his, and I have mine.

Hahaha, I'm glad we're not the only ones. The whole day of registering, and the one thing FI was fixated on is that the bowls in the Fiesta set were "the wrong shape". So he went through every single bowl until he found a shape he liked. *Rolls eyes*. But I'm glad we went with Fiesta because he might have had a meltdown if the set I wanted didn't have adequate bowl options!
    Sometimes I open the kitchen cabinet and just shake my head.... because we literally have two complete sets of bowls so that each of us are happy and can eat cereal the way we want to eat it.  I don't know what we're going to do if we ever decide to switch patterns.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • elBecko said:
    hoffse said:
    Hahaha, I'm glad we're not the only ones. The whole day of registering, and the one thing FI was fixated on is that the bowls in the Fiesta set were "the wrong shape". So he went through every single bowl until he found a shape he liked. *Rolls eyes*. But I'm glad we went with Fiesta because he might have had a meltdown if the set I wanted didn't have adequate bowl options!
    DH and I had the exact same debate about our Fiesta stuff! That's too funny! He wanted the 24oz bowls and I wanted the smaller ones. He won because I just wanted to get the hell out of Macy's, but even now when I use them a normal portion looks like a tiny speck in the bottom of the giant bowl.
    *********************************************************************************

• elBecko said:
    Yes, the 24 oz "gusto" bowls!! I really doubt that he needs to eat that much cereal (or ice cream) in one sitting, but...since my options were registering for the damn bowls or dealing with him sulking all day, they are now on our registry. 
    Exactly! And he eats like a bird anyway so I don't get it. He also never gains weight. I have no self-control and will fill that sucker up with cinnamon toast crunch all day long. Damn him!

Just watch your portions once you get them. It's REALLY easy to fill them up. :)

• elBecko said:
    Yes, the 24 oz "gusto" bowls!! I really doubt that he needs to eat that much cereal (or ice cream) in one sitting, but...since my options were registering for the damn bowls or dealing with him sulking all day, they are now on our registry. 
    Exactly! And he eats like a bird anyway so I don't get it. He also never gains weight. I have no self-control and will fill that sucker up with cinnamon toast crunch all day long. Damn him!

Just watch your portions once you get them. It's REALLY easy to fill them up. :)
    And adding that to the grocery list.  Thanks a lot @southernbelle0915 ;)
  • I've noticed Fiesta seems to be a love it or hate it type of dinnerware.  I hate it.  I especially can't stand the keyhole mugs.  How the heck are you supposed to hold a hot mug??  

I opted for the complete opposite and went with soft white dinnerware.  We bring in color for the seasons with linens and centerpieces.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I've noticed Fiesta seems to be a love it or hate it type of dinnerware.  I hate it.  I especially can't stand the keyhole mugs.  How the heck are you supposed to hold a hot mug??  

I opted for the complete opposite and went with soft white dinnerware.  We bring in color for the seasons with linens and centerpieces.
    You get the java mugs instead.  Those are shaped normally.

I mostly like it because basically everything else in my life is beige.  There's only so much beige I can take before I start to go crazy.

I do think our next set will be white - but only if we're living in a place that has some color other than beige.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hoffse said:
    JoanE2012 said:
    I've noticed Fiesta seems to be a love it or hate it type of dinnerware.  I hate it.  I especially can't stand the keyhole mugs.  How the heck are you supposed to hold a hot mug??  

You get the java mugs instead.  Those are shaped normally.

I mostly like it because basically everything else in my life is beige.  There's only so much beige I can take before I start to go crazy.

I do think our next set will be white - but only if we're living in a place that has some color other than beige.
    Ha, I didn't even know there were other mugs!  Still probably wouldn't make a difference though.....I really fell in love with white and like changing tablecloths or placemats depending on the holiday or season.
  • I love World Market's everyday dishes. They have a great selection ranging from plain and simple to ornate patterns. It seems to be pretty durable as well - my aunt and uncle have had a set for years and it's survived our clumsy family. Sadly, World Market doesn't have a registry :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Look for stoneware in any brand, though there are still some dishware brands that are better than others, stoneware will stand up better than porcelain, ceramic, etc. 

Corelle is always nice, but when we went to register, BBB only had one corelle set, seems like they are phasing it out.

We went with Colorwave by Noritake (stoneware). 
  • I love my Correlle.  My family's always used it for everyday dishwear and has only replaced it due to a very outdated color choice (70's gold anyone?).  I have a plain white set which I feel is also nice enough for formal dinners as well and it's easy to match if I want to expand the set down the road (the pattern name is Frost White and it seems like it's been around forever). It's lightweight, durable, and in solid white it's pretty classic so I'm a big fan.
  • We registered for The Cellar Dinnerware and love it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards