Plus-Sized

Unable to try on my wedding gown. Hoping for pictures? Alfred Angelo 2385

Hello fellow brides,

I've hit a wall in my serach for a wedding grown. Being a bigger girl (size 16), I can't fit into the sample sizes of the Alfred Angelo dresses at the stores in my area.  I have my heart set on the Alfred Angelo Style 2385 and and have searching the internet for pictures of real brides in this dress and can't find a single one. The model on the AA site is a farily tiny girl and its hard to get a feel for what the gown would look like on me. 

At the dress shop we put me in a simple strapless wedding gown of similar color and fabric and clipped the AA 2385 to the front to get a feel for what it looks like on.  I love the dress and placed a deposit, but I'm having a really hard time moving forward with the order without being able to try it on or to see another real bride in the gown.  Are there any other brides out there that have gotten married in or at least tried on this gown?

Re: Unable to try on my wedding gown. Hoping for pictures? Alfred Angelo 2385

• I would never buy a wedding dress without trying it on.  Heck, I won't even buy a pair of jeans at the store without trying them on!  

Is there anyway you can find a store, even if you have to travel a bit, that carries it?  You may not get a perfect fit, but if you can get it on and up that would be much better.
  • yeah, I wouldn't order a dress without being able to try it on. Is there a shop in your area that would be able to order a sample in a large size in? Never hurts to ask. Or it might be worth it to travel. I would start calling around to shops that carry alfred angelo, especially shops that specialize in plus size bridal within driving distance.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • Unfortunately it's a no go. :( This particular gown is only at botiques in my area and they are unable to order a larger sample.  I think I'm just going to order one size up from what the sizing chart says I would be then have it altered. I'm just bummed that I can't see it on an actual person. :(
  • I think it's risky, particularly if you are busty and will need to wear a longline or strapless bra. The back on that is pretty low. 
  • Is there a store you can drive to?  maybe call ahead make sure they have it.  I would wait until you try it on. I just got my dress at Alfred and they had tons on dresses in my size when it zipped i said "omg did that just zip?!" I would really try to find out if theres somewhere near.
  • have you tried on any dresses that are similar in style?

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    Unfortunately it's a no go. :( This particular gown is only at botiques in my area and they are unable to order a larger sample.  I think I'm just going to order one size up from what the sizing chart says I would be then have it altered. I'm just bummed that I can't see it on an actual person. :(
    Can you travel outside of your area?  A road trip for a day?  If I loved something that much, I'd do everything possible to try and find a place to try it on.

Otherwise, I'd take it as a sign it wasn't meant to be and find another dress.  I would never leave one of the most important and expensive dresses on one of the most important days of my life to chance and hope.

ETA: Try finding stores that specialize in plus size dresses.  I didn't dare step into a boutique that didn't have more "normal" sizes.....I knew I needed to see it on and a size 8 sample dress (often equal to a size 4 street size) was just not going to cut it.
  • I have not tried mine on. My sales person took my measurements and we chose the size based on the measurements and what I wanted to do with the dress. It is a little nerve racking however if you feel that dress is "the one" I'd go for it. I am surprised they didn't have a sample to fit you. My sister is a size 16 and was able to try on the dresses I couldn't squeeze into myself. Good luck and keep us posted!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • if the dress does not fit me at all i wouldnt go and order it thats just me. its a very important day and you want your dress to be amazing. what if the dress comes in and you try it on for your first fitting and its nothing like you pictured and you now feel it looked better on the display than on you.

if you can take a trip to a AA store or a place that carries lots of plus sizes. 

if you are in the new england area or ny nj or pa area i can give you a list of places that have plenty of plus size gowns. 

i am in ct and got my gown locally and didn't have to travel that far 15 minutes
  • @Hyechica81- where did you find plus sized samples in CT? I'm only a 16 and even davids bridal barely had anything in my size for me to try on!
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited November 2013
    @Llikotdesserd i went to bridal bells in berlin on mill street omg she has so many plus size gowns she carries the juletta line by mori lee as well as jasmine and venus. small salon but she knows what looks good on you http://www.bridalbellsboutique.com/ she has some dresses listed online but she has a whole lot more in the store. shes closed on mondays and sundays and has extended hours on tuesdays and wends 

and they are true plus size gowns sizes 16s 18s 20s 22s 24s 26s 30s and her gowns are not expensive at all the highest priced gown i tried on was 1,200

not sure what part of ct you are in but if you are far from berlin like more than an hour away it would be totally worth the drive. 

for me it was a 15 minute drive as i live very close to berlin 
  • edited November 2013
  • They have a facebook page where they upload photos of real brides in their gowns - you could see if it's there, mine is! :) I wouldn't order without trying on. With the dress you love over a gown that fits you could be hiding some trouble areas that you don't like with the extra gown ... just my thought. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards