Attire & Accessories Forum

Tradesy - Price negotiating or not?

There's a particular dress I've liked for a long time, and it's no longer in production.  I found someone on Tradesy selling it in my size for $700 (12% off retail).  My budget is $500.  It says purchased 2011.  I'm not really sure if she's had it listed for 2 years or not.  She doesn't have any photos of it posted, but I am familiar with the style # and it is described as "new with tags."  Would it be terribly bad of me to message the seller and ask if she would consider a sale at $500? 

I'm not really that familiar with the website, or the etiquette thereof, so please inform me if that would be a terribly gauche thing to do.

Re: Tradesy - Price negotiating or not?

• msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2013
    I'd ask for pictures with a newspaper (so you know they are recent) and offer $500. Tell her it's your max budget. What's the worst that could happen? She says no?
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I'd ask for pictures with a newspaper (so you know they are recent) and offer $500. Tell her it's your max budget. What's the worst that could happen? She says no?
     Ditto! Best case scenario, she goes for it, and worse case, she says no. If this was the route I was going to go, as far as going second hand to get what I wanted, I'd go for it! 

Good luck!

*J
  • If it's an individual seller, they might be open to negotiation.  But, a lot of bridal stores also sell their samples on Tradesy, and will be less likely to negotiate. Also, be careful.  There are some of the chinese knockoff sellers on Tradesy.
  • Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was a real breach of etiquette (I mean, it's not Craigslist).  I'm not just trying to negotiate for the sake of it, I just don't have more than $500 to spend.  If she says no, I'll keep looking.
  • Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was a real breach of etiquette (I mean, it's not Craigslist).  I'm not just trying to negotiate for the sake of it, I just don't have more than $500 to spend.  If she says no, I'll keep looking.
    Eh, it's basically bridal craiglist.  All they can do is say no.  :)   I sold a $950.00 unaltered and unworn dress for $325.00 on Tradesy.  Give it a shot.
  • If it's an individual seller, they might be open to negotiation.  But, a lot of bridal stores also sell their samples on Tradesy, and will be less likely to negotiate. Also, be careful.  There are some of the chinese knockoff sellers on Tradesy.
    Thanks for the tips.  I clicked the seller's name and it only showed the one thing for sale, so I'm thinking it's not a store.  It does say Tradsey authenticity guaranteed, is that something I should trust or not?
  • First, certainly negotiate a price if you want to.

Secondly, I recently sold my wedding dress on OnceWed.com and they recommend using a site called escrow.com (instead of using Paypal or whatever). Essentially it protects both buyer and seller by holding the money until both buyer and seller are satisfied with the transaction. It is a little more expensive than Paypal but worth it for peace of mind if you are at all worried about the quality of the dress or the sketchiness of the person selling the dress.
  • I'm hoping to buy my dream dress on Tradesy or a similar site as well.  From what I have found most people are willing to negotiate a bit!  You just have to ask
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards