Wedding Reception Forum

Favor: bath/body set or edible?

Which would make a better wedding favor? We are doing destination wedding, so everyone is traveling there.

1) a bath/body set with all natural lotion, lip gloss, sunscreen, soaps. My SIL/MOH owns a store & makes these for a living, so I can get good deal. The items will all be custom made to match our colors & theme.

2) something edible. I'm thinking a combination of chocolate, cookies, crackers, candy and a few other snack items that coordinate with our theme. We are getting married on a ship, so I'm thinking Chips Ahoy cookies, Goldfish crackers, Lifesavers candy, etc.

I want something people will like/use, and not just waste my money. I like the lotions idea, and SIL offered (I actually made her wedding favors) but worry they won't get taken/used. And people can also use some munchies in vacation. Or maybe scale back and do combination of both?

Re: Favor: bath/body set or edible?

• huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2013
    First, favors are not required.  The reception is your thank you to your guests. I would like either of these options, but I think the edible favor would be favored by more people.

ETA: Pun intended!

• Edible. I have extremely sensitive skin so I have to be very careful about what kind of products I use.
  • Edible. Guys probably will leave a bath set.
  • Edible. Scents are personal and you will likely have a lot of those bath sets left behind.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Definitely edible!
  • Another vote for edible. I am one of those people with super-sensitive skin, and I don't use bath products unless I am positive the ingredients are safe. 
  • Edible, for all the reasons mentioned. But really, you can skip the favors.
  • I got a bath set at the last wedding I went to.  It's in the trash.  

Either go with the food or don't worry about it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Another vote for something edible. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Although I personally would take a bath set. I could see A LOT of people leaving it behind. Males, people with sensitive skin, or maybe they don't like the scent. I'm pretty particular with my scents. I see an assortment of edibles being better received. If somebody doesn't like something, they can trade with somebody else.
  • If it's a cruise, are people flying to get there? I wouldn't take a bath set because I'd probably try to do carry-on luggage only, and would have no room left for more liquids!
  • Thank you everyone for your responses.  I guess edible favors it is.  

With the bath sets, it is all natural & organic items and very good for anyone with sensitive skin.  I know that nearly everyone in my family (extended family included) loves it and uses these products on a daily basis. Several of FI family have tried the products also and love them.  So, I figured that about 80-90% of my wedding guests already buy these products regularly anyway, so it may not be a bad idea for favors. I also figured that with a beach vacation, it may not hurt to provide everyone with some extra sunscreen & after-sun lotion, because they will likely be used throughout the week.

Everyone is traveling to get there, with about 1/2 flying and 1/2 driving.  About 2/3 the wedding guests are going on the 7-day cruise after the wedding and coming a few days early, so they probably won't be able to carry on luggage for a 10+ day trip. But we do have a few guests just flying in for the weekend. I hadn't really considered the additional liquids with air travel, but that's a good point.

• nicoann said:
    Thank you everyone for your responses.  I guess edible favors it is.  

With the bath sets, it is all natural & organic items and very good for anyone with sensitive skin.  I know that nearly everyone in my family (extended family included) loves it and uses these products on a daily basis. Several of FI family have tried the products also and love them.  So, I figured that about 80-90% of my wedding guests already buy these products regularly anyway, so it may not be a bad idea for favors. I also figured that with a beach vacation, it may not hurt to provide everyone with some extra sunscreen & after-sun lotion, because they will likely be used throughout the week.

Everyone is traveling to get there, with about 1/2 flying and 1/2 driving.  About 2/3 the wedding guests are going on the 7-day cruise after the wedding and coming a few days early, so they probably won't be able to carry on luggage for a 10+ day trip. But we do have a few guests just flying in for the weekend. I hadn't really considered the additional liquids with air travel, but that's a good point.
    Don't ever make that assumption. Natural/organic does not equal safe and it does not equal hypoallergenic.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2013
    mysticl said:
    nicoann said:

Don't ever make that assumption. Natural/organic does not equal safe and it does not equal hypoallergenic.  
    I normally would say the same thing and don't blindly trust anything that says "natural" or "organic"... and generally even trust things less if they push those labels.  But, since I know the ingredients that go in these products (they even openly publish all ingredients and their sources), I know the person who makes them (who is actually a research doctor), I know the years of research & testing that has gone into these products, and actually helped design their manufacturing facility (these aren't DIY products made in someone's kitchen), I feel that I have enough proof for myself to say that, in my opinion, they are pretty "safe". I know that many of these are made specifically for people with sensitive skin in mind, and being one of those people with highly sensitive skin, my experience has been that they are easily tolerated. I also have extreme sensitivity to scents & fragrances and typically cannot use most items that contain fragrances.  But, I have never had a problem with these products. I know that no product is going to be suitable for everyone, though. And people can have allergies to anything.  But, as products go, I have enough experience and knowledge of these particular products to trust them.  And like I said previously, I know that 80-90% of my guests already purchase and use these products on a daily basis, which is the main reason I was considering them in the first place.

And on the other hand, I don't know if any of my guests have food allergies that would be affected if I provide edible gifts either.  And who's to say that the mass produced cookies, crackers, and junk food is really any less safe?

• nicoann said:
    mysticl said:
    nicoann said:

I normally would say the same thing and don't blindly trust anything that says "natural" or "organic"... and generally even trust things less if they push those labels.  But, since I know the ingredients that go in these products (they even openly publish all ingredients and their sources), I know the person who makes them (who is actually a research doctor), I know the years of research & testing that has gone into these products, and actually helped design their manufacturing facility (these aren't DIY products made in someone's kitchen), I feel that I have enough proof for myself to say that, in my opinion, they are pretty "safe". I know that many of these are made specifically for people with sensitive skin in mind, and being one of those people with highly sensitive skin, my experience has been that they are easily tolerated. I also have extreme sensitivity to scents & fragrances and typically cannot use most items that contain fragrances.  But, I have never had a problem with these products. I know that no product is going to be suitable for everyone, though. And people can have allergies to anything.  But, as products go, I have enough experience and knowledge of these particular products to trust them.  And like I said previously, I know that 80-90% of my guests already purchase and use these products on a daily basis, which is the main reason I was considering them in the first place.

And on the other hand, I don't know if any of my guests have food allergies that would be affected if I provide edible gifts either.  And who's to say that the mass produced cookies, crackers, and junk food is really any less safe?
    And the same goes for several thousands of these types of products on the market.  

You are completely right about food allergy issues too.  One thing about food items is they are easier to get rid of.  A person who is allergic to a food favor could give it to another guest.  Having two packages of cookies is no big deal, but ending up with two packages of bath stuff may be more than they want.  Same for you.  If people don't take the favors, you are stuck with them.  Food you can eat, if it's prepackaged you can donate it to a soup kitchen.  Even though you like/use the products you could end up with more that you could use before they go bad.  

Not having favors is also an option.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @nicoann, are you doing welcome bags for your guests?  I agree with PPs that edible favors is far better.  However, if you really want to give the bath sets as well, you could put them in welcome bags that go in the guest rooms.  I would still make sure they're travel-friendly size for guests to take them home in carry ons if they want--don't assume everyone is checking bags.  I went to a wedding where they had a small bottle of local lotion and a bar of soap in the welcome bags, and I took them home and really enjoyed using them.  Similarly, we got a 3 oz tube of sunscreen in a welcome bag for one summer wedding, and that was just a useful item to take and have for further travels.  
  • @nicoann, are you doing welcome bags for your guests?  I agree with PPs that edible favors is far better.  However, if you really want to give the bath sets as well, you could put them in welcome bags that go in the guest rooms.  I would still make sure they're travel-friendly size for guests to take them home in carry ons if they want--don't assume everyone is checking bags.  I went to a wedding where they had a small bottle of local lotion and a bar of soap in the welcome bags, and I took them home and really enjoyed using them.  Similarly, we got a 3 oz tube of sunscreen in a welcome bag for one summer wedding, and that was just a useful item to take and have for further travels.  

That is actually my alternate option. I am planning on doing OOT bags for people joining us on the cruise. I know that everyone going on the cruise uses these products and would enjoy receiving them, so I was planning on including them there if not for favors for all guests at reception. And I am taking size into consideration, definitely small travel size bottles (2 oz.) and I'm limiting quantity to items useful for Caribbean vacation. Probably just sunscreen & after sun lotion.

• sorry i'd leave the lotions etc. behind. i dont want a lotion with your wedding colors/theme on it. i like my lotion.

as for the edible-dont jsut throw snack bags together. if youre going to do edible give something good-chocolates from your local choclatier, cookies from a local bakery etc...

• Go edible!!!!  Men will leave lotions behind & women depending on the scents may also leave it behind. Not everyone is into bath's so the salts would be wasted too. I personally would enjoy it depending on the scent, but I think you are safer with edible.
  • Definitely edibles. I am very particular about my lotion/bath scents. Even the ones I get for Christmas I don't use. I keep them and re-gift them for mother's day, birthdays, etc.
  • I'd love #1! But #2 would prob be the more popular one.
  • Majelin86 said:
    I'd love #1! But #2 would prob be the more popular one.

i agree
  • Agreed with not putting together a "kiddie bag" of snacks. If you really, really want to do a themed favor...do something grown up. Have gourmet chocolates made to look like seashells, starfish, palm trees.

Don't waste your money on the kiddie snacks.

(My ultimate vote is always to skip favors, though)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards