November 2013 Weddings

And a wedding vent of my own

Our wedding night.  So pissed off about it.  We booked a room at the Brown Palace, which is supposed to be THE premier hotel in Denver. This is the place were all the presidents and dignitaries stay when visiting.  We paid almost $400 for a very basic room.   We checked in at about 8:45 and DH handed the last $5 in cash we had to the bellman who brought up our bags.   Then we discovered there was no bath tub, like we were told we'd have.  OK.  Irritated, but whatever.  We were just happy to be at our hotel together finally.   Then we tried to turn on the hot water to take a shower.   It ran and ran and ran and never heated up.   No hot water at all.  None.  DH went back down to the desk and asked them to give us a different room.  They told him no, with attitude. She said she'd just send maintenance up.  He explained it was our wedding night and we didn't want maintenance people going in and out of our room and we wanted to be alone. He asked if the hotel was full and was told no.  So he asked again for a different room and they told him "I'm sorry. That's not happening."  WTF?!!?   Half an hour after he came back up we're starting to finally unwind and there is a knock on the door.   Three maintenance guys came in and spent an hour in our room with us while we sat there in our bathrobes glaring at them, and they were still unable to get us any hot water.  DH was furious at this point and went back down to complain again.  They still didn't do anything. 

Then half an hour after that there is a knock on the door.  (YAY!  More people!) They had sent someone up with a bottle of champagne as a peace offering.   We were both out of cash and couldn't tip the girl and DH apologized to her and explained that the ATM in the lobby was broken (he'd tried to get more earlier) and he was out of cash for the night and hadn't been expecting to need any more.  She then told him, "well there's a bank across the street you can go to."  Um, it was 11 pm at that point and he was in a bath robe.   He told her he was sorry, he'd have to get it to her the next day.  Well the next morning we get the bill from the hotel and, because he didn't tip her, they charged us $15 gratuity on the bottle... that we never asked for and that was supposed to be sent in apology for making us stay in a room with no hot water when there were other rooms available. By the time we both calmed down from the whole hoopla, it was almost midnight and we just went right to sleep. Happy wedding night to us.

When we checked out the next morning DH asked for the manager and tore her a new one for the service, the lack of hot water, and the way we were treated.  They ultimately ended up giving us half off the room, which was better than nothing but still absurd.  IMO we shouldn't have had to pay a dime for that crap. 

Re: And a wedding vent of my own

• All I can say is.... WOW!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's bullshit. I agree - you should have been TOTALLY comped. 

Sounds like it's time to do the following: 
    1. post a review on various travel sites (trip advisor and anywhere else you can think of)
    2. Post this story on their facebook page (chances are they might offer you another night free at a later date)
    3. Write a letter to the highest level management you can find contact information for. 
  • That's bullshit. I agree - you should have been TOTALLY comped. 

Sounds like it's time to do the following: 
    1. post a review on various travel sites (trip advisor and anywhere else you can think of)
    2. Post this story on their facebook page (chances are they might offer you another night free at a later date)
    3. Write a letter to the highest level management you can find contact information for. 
    Oh we're going to complain again now that we're back and all the hoopla is behind us. Rest assured.  But, frankly, I don't want another night there. I don't see me staying there again, for any reason, ever.  Which sucks because we would have liked to have made an anniversary tradition out of staying there for a night. 
  • You could always write an editorial and send it to the local newspaper or even report it to the Better Business Bureay (BBB).
  • That is awful!  So sorry your wedding night was such a fiasco!
  • In addition to the PP's advice about writing the editorial or reporting to the BBB, you could also post a review on Trip Advisor. Hotels seem to read those reviews and managers have commented back to guests who've received poor service to request the guest contact them. Sorry your wedding night was ruined. That sucks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ohhh Shit. My mouth was hanging open while reading this post. That is AWFUL, I am furious for you! I hope you take them down with a terrible review. To be honest, I've never known BBB being much help but I'm sure posting a review will at least get their attention!
  • That is absolutely absurd! I would definitely write reviews and make complaints. I'm so sorry you wedding night was ruined! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • WonderRed - I am so sorry that happened to you on your wedding night! I agree with the OPs about complaining - even if you wouldn't take a comped night there, it may deter others from staying there and give management a little impetus to clean up their act. I know that's little comfort to you now, but online reviews are powerful - start with Tripadvisor and Yelp.

I know you're just on the other side of this disappointing experience and I don't want to minimize that at all, but reading your description, I think this might be a funny story once a little time has passed. The image of you and your DH in your bathrobes glaring while maintenance clanked away at the plumbing in the bathroom ... it's infuriating now, but it does make a great story. 

{{{Hugs}}}
  • WonderRed - I am so sorry that happened to you on your wedding night! I agree with the OPs about complaining - even if you wouldn't take a comped night there, it may deter others from staying there and give management a little impetus to clean up their act. I know that's little comfort to you now, but online reviews are powerful - start with Tripadvisor and Yelp.

I know you're just on the other side of this disappointing experience and I don't want to minimize that at all, but reading your description, I think this might be a funny story once a little time has passed. The image of you and your DH in your bathrobes glaring while maintenance clanked away at the plumbing in the bathroom ... it's infuriating now, but it does make a great story. 

{{{Hugs}}}
    I do completely agree with this.  Reality is, it's one night out of thousands to come and pretty minor in the grand scheme of life.  But I still want the other $196 dollars back.  I'd like to use it on the high end coffee maker we didn't get off our registry.  I bet that will produce hot water.  LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards