Wedding Reception Forum

Food options

Hello all! My fiance and I are on a strict $5k budget for our wedding and while there are some of your basic catering places around here that serve yr average Sunday-dinner type wedding fare, we wanted something with a little more character. We've shot down the (joking) plan to serve pizza and beer as well as Applebee's (our Friday night date), and now we're considering Salsarita's (a fresh mexican food place; tacos, fajitas, etc) or a well-known local grocery store that notoriously has the best subs in the few cities around here. Is it still too casual to serve at an afternoon reception?

TLDR: how do you feel about the bride and groom picking a favorite casual restaraunt to cater?

Re: Food options

• I see nothing wrong with either option. Sandwiches in the afternoon sound excellent. Don't forget, these are your friends and family, they know you and love you. They don't expect you to suddenly develop a caviar and stuffed artichoke budget. (I vote for sandwiches. Easy way to cater to multiple tastes!)
  • Those options sounds fine, as long as your wedding is on the more casual side overall.  
  • I'd rather have delicious sandwiches than mediocre chicken or fish any day of the week, especially at a more casual reception. We hired a caterer that specializes in pig roasts and had pulled pork, BBQ sauce, potato salad, etc. People still rave about it 3 months later. I love the idea of the wedding couple choosing a favorite casual restaurant.
  • I think either is a great idea and it's something that's unique to you guys! I say go for it!
  • emmyg65 said:
    I'd rather have delicious sandwiches than mediocre chicken or fish any day of the week, especially at a more casual reception. We hired a caterer that specializes in pig roasts and had pulled pork, BBQ sauce, potato salad, etc. People still rave about it 3 months later. I love the idea of the wedding couple choosing a favorite casual restaurant.
    Exactly this.

Your plan sounds really nice, OP.
    *********************************************************************************

• no one will care where the food comes from as long as it's delicious and fresh. i'd rather have a great sandwich form a local place than a chain mexican place. i avoid chains like the plague though.

• As long as there is ample food, and you can accommodate any special diets (vegetarians, gluten-free, etc) I don't care who the caterer is. Casual food that is tasty and there is plenty to go around beats fancier stuff where  I leave half-starved. 
  • If you have enough food of good quality and can accommodate any special dietary needs, you're doing fine.  I like your particular suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards