Catholic Weddings
Options

XP: Bagpipes for a Catholic Wedding

I am working with a couple whose ancestry on both sides in predominately Celtic (mostly Irish, some Scottish).  Both share a strong affinity to their heritage and have spent time in ireland -- she studied in Dublin, he worked in Cork and Waterford -- as well as in Scotland

The bride would like to have an Irish bagpiper "pipe" (lead) the wedding party in for the processional and have the piper lead the recessional. She added that she might have the piper play one or more of the hymns for the Mass.

Has anyone every attended a Catholic wedding that included a bagpiper? I have been to Catholic funerals and to baccalaureate Masses for Catholic high schools in which bagpipe was included, but never at a wedding. Since a lot of you are more knowledgable than me, I thought I would ask (Yes I know we will have to check with the pastor and the parish music director, but one thing at a time)

Any thought or comments would be appreciated. Thanking everyone in advance ...

Re: XP: Bagpipes for a Catholic Wedding

• Options
    All I worry about is that bagpipes can be LOUD, especially in an enclosed place, ESPECIALLY in some churches that are basically big echo chambers.  Otherwise, I think that would be really cool.  I really wanted my husband to wear a kilt at our wedding, but it just didn't work out.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I've seen it before in my parish growing up. We had a bagpiper in our parish that would play sometimes on Sunday for the processional/recessional.
  • Options
    the only thing is the leading a hymn at mass...can't really sing along with that.
  • Options

late to this one

Yes, we had a bagpiper for the wedding.  He stayed outside of the church and played as people arrived as well as leaving.  Most people said they loved the special touch

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards