Chit Chat

Am I the only one...

....who doesn't know the size of their diamond(s)?

I know my ring is beautiful, that my FI picked it out specifically for me, and that in itself makes it the most amazing thing to me.  I know when he proposed he said something along the lines of it's blah-blah-blah carrot and whatever, but I honestly was so happy that I was not listening to him nor did I care. 

Same with my wedding band.  We went to the store, found one that looked great with my e-ring, and was pleasantly surprised when she showed us the price and it was WAY under our budget. 

I guess I was never one who cared about the size of the rock - but when I see lots of girls comparing or naming the size of their ring - I wonder, how much does the size of the ring matter to them?

Re: Am I the only one...

• I only know the size (and various other information about my ring) because I had to have it appraised for insurance and the appraisal lays out everything.  If I hadn't insured it I would have no idea.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • NYCBruin said:
    I only know the size (and various other information about my ring) because I had to have it appraised for insurance and the appraisal lays out everything.  If I hadn't insured it I would have no idea.

Same. I knew the specifics pretty early on in our engagement because of insurance. I dont know exactly how much he paid for it, but I could venture a guess. And I was with fi (now H) when he bought my wedding band so I know what it cost and TCW.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know the size of my diamond only because H told me.  I, however, have no clue what he spent on it and I told him that I never wanted to know.

I know how much my wedding band cost because H and I bought our wedding bands together.

• I only know the size of mine because DH told me some of the specs (not just carat, but color, clarity, etc.) - he had it custom built and was really proud of it. I don't know how much it cost - I don't really want to know... 
    *********************************************************************************

• NYCBruin said:
    I only know the size (and various other information about my ring) because I had to have it appraised for insurance and the appraisal lays out everything.  If I hadn't insured it I would have no idea.
    I'm in the same boat.  I wouldn't dare ask anything about it.  But I took care of getting the ring insured so I had to see the appraisal.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I only know the size of mine because DH told me some of the specs (not just carat, but color, clarity, etc.) - he had it custom built and was really proud of it. I don't know how much it cost - I don't really want to know... 
    I feel the same exact same way.  I have a ballpark idea from the appraisal, but I don't even like knowing that.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • I know for insurance purposes. Also, because DH was so sweetly proud of what he was able to purchase that he may have bragged a bit...
  • I know the size because of insurance purposes. I know that with my center stone, clarity doesn't matter because it was heat treated to appear green in color.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • I know everything about my ring. FI showed me it online when we were researching rings. I insta fell in love with it. I know the price and the size. He actually tricked me, I thought he didn't get me the ring and instead a different ring. TBH, when he proposed I wasn't looking at the ring at all and I had no idea he actually got the one we both loved and not a different one.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I know mine, since it's stamped on the inside of the band with the serial number.  I also know cos DH took me ring shopping the day after he proposed in case I wanted to change the ring, and he also said I could get a 1K diamond if I wanted it.  I kept my ring.  :)

• I know the rough carat weight of my center stone because Fi told me.  My ring is a three-stone setting with little pave diamonds on the band, which Fi had made custom with my friend who works at a jeweler.  We went shopping beforehand and I told him the type of setting I liked, but nothing about size or budget.  I still don't know the TCW or the size of the side stones.  

Fi told me the cost and I wish he hadn't, because it's way more money than I thought he was going to spend and I wish he hadn't spent so much.  We have it insured, so I know the cost for that reason, too.

It's so funny @melbelleup what you said about not looking at the ring-- Fi proposed outside in the dark and I couldn't even have seen the ring if I tried.  I'm sure this is true of most proposals, but I was just so shocked and excited I did not care about the ring at all!  He didn't kneel down with the box open or anything like that.  We were hugging after I said yes and he's like, so do you want your ring now?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I know the rough carat weight of my center stone because Fi told me.  My ring is a three-stone setting with little pave diamonds on the band, which Fi had made custom with my friend who works at a jeweler.  We went shopping beforehand and I told him the type of setting I liked, but nothing about size or budget.  I still don't know the TCW or the size of the side stones.  

Fi told me the cost and I wish he hadn't, because it's way more money than I thought he was going to spend and I wish he hadn't spent so much.  We have it insured, so I know the cost for that reason, too.

It's so funny @melbelleup what you said about not looking at the ring-- Fi proposed outside in the dark and I couldn't even have seen the ring if I tried.  I'm sure this is true of most proposals, but I was just so shocked and excited I did not care about the ring at all!  He didn't kneel down with the box open or anything like that.  We were hugging after I said yes and he's like, so do you want your ring now?
    My Fi did that though haha! He had to like tell me 5 mins after to look at the ring lol
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I only found out when we had it appraised. DH told me when he got down on one knee and asked me, but I was so giddy with excitement I kind of wasn't listening. :)

I know how much our wedding bands were because we bought them together.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • NYCBruin said:
    ditto, and I can't remember the exact number anymore. I take care of our insurance that's why I know. I know what it's appraised for, but I don't think I ever knew what it actually cost.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I had Tiffany write down exactly what I wanted on a business card and that's what he ultimately bought. So yeah, I know everything about it, haha.
  • My center stone is not a diamond. But I do have 60 really tiny diamonds surrounding it. Not sure the total weight of those.

No idea what the ring cost. But I know it was more than the cost of our two wedding bands together. My fiance mentioned that when we bought our bands. I have a plain white gold one and he has a tungsten.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

My proposal was kind of like this too.  DH proposed on the spur of the moment, rather than when he had planned and didn't have the ring with him.  We drove home and while getting the camera, he grabbed the ring too.  It was 2am in the back alley and 1 light.  I opened the box but couldn't see the ring.  He asked if I liked it, but I didn't answer cos I was trying to see it in the 1 light.  He then panicked that I didn't like it and told me I could exchange it.  I told him I needed more light before I could see it.  :)

• I don't know the exact number of carats of mine, either.
  • Mine is an heirloom from his side, so no clue. I need to get it appraised for insurance purposes. Thanks for the reminder.
  • I know all the specs about my ring because FI told me the size of the centre stone (he was really proud) and I found out the rest when we got it appraised for insurance purposes. I also know roughty how much it cost because the appraisal amount is usually about double the cost.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Why is it that rings usually appraise higher than the cost?  Is this a racket or something?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Not a clue.   Mine is a half eternity band so they're all small but there are 13 of them.
  • I don't know at all.  I know the cost because we went shopping for it together.  We picked out 3 rings and he choose from there. (He was terrified of buying one alone!)   And he had it added to our policy before he proposed!
  • I know all the specs of my diamond and the setting for a few reasons.
    First I worked in the jewelry store he bought it in. I picked what I wanted, he came in on my day off. The other employees told him what I liked. Second, the diamond is certified. FI gave me the cert for it which has all the info on it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • I don't know the sizes of the stones in my ring either, and I won't until such time as I have to have it insured. Even then, I'm not sure I'll know. I do know the other specs of my ring though, because it's custom and I co-designed it with the jeweller.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • CommitmentCatCommitmentCat member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    I know mine's pretty...

To be honest, I know nothing about diamonds and jewellery. I suck as a girl. I did draw a picture of what I liked and coloured it in with pencils. I indicated blue for sapphires and grey for diamonds.

With the limited knowledge I have of it, he could've gotten away with getting me silver and calling it white gold and putting blue glass in it and calling it a sapphire. I only know he didn't because he wouldn't insure glass and silver, and the insurance lady accidentally called me before he proposed to confirm the addition of my ring to our insurance.

EDIT: I'm tired, I don't think my words are making sense. Forgotten apostrophes and sentences that make me die of shame. I give up today.
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    Why is it that rings usually appraise higher than the cost?  Is this a racket or something?
    Retail cost of your ring is what the store can actually obtain for the ring.

The appraisal is the ultimate value of the ring as high as it could be.

Think of it in terms of the value of your home during resale. Your home is appraised for a certain amount but often you are not able to sell it for that exact amount. When selling a home you often sell for less than the value of the home.
  • I know the details of my rings and stone because H was really excited that he negotiated the price of the whole thing down quite a bit.  I've also seen the appraisal, which included the certificate from the institute that certified the diamond.  All that said, I didn't have my heart set on any particular carat weight or anything.  I fell in love with my setting, and he took it from there.  He did an amazing job, I get compliments all the time-especially when it's clean.  
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • I had Tiffany write down exactly what I wanted on a business card and that's what he ultimately bought. So yeah, I know everything about it, haha.
    Haha!  Me too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards