Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Disney Princess Wedding, Could really use so Help?

We finally set a date and  Now He wants me to start planning. My only problem Is I have no Idea Which Disney princess theme I want to use I mean its between Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. I have asked for my fiancee's help many times the only thing he says is that he wants the color red to be in it which is fine because red is my favorite color. The only issue is How would I make this work between the two and how do I pick between these two beautiful love stories.

I am doing allot of this on my own so I asked him to interview a few wedding planners, so I can get some kind of help and When I do ask for his help all he says is we are only doing this once. ugh how do I get him involved?

Re: Disney Princess Wedding, Could really use so Help?

• We finally set a date and  Now He wants me to start planning. My only problem Is I have no Idea Which Disney princess theme I want to use I mean its between Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. I have asked for my fiancee's help many times the only thing he says is that he wants the color red to be in it which is fine because red is my favorite color. The only issue is How would I make this work between the two and how do I pick between these two beautiful love stories.

I am doing allot of this on my own so I asked him to interview a few wedding planners, so I can get some kind of help and When I do ask for his help all he says is we are only doing this once. ugh how do I get him involved?
    First of all, you don't need a theme. The theme of your wedding is, well, a wedding. If you make it too much like a theme party, it's going to seem over the top and you're going to cause yourself more worry than it's worth.

If FI wants red in it, then go with a red and gold color scheme and tie in some Baroque style decor/accents.

In regard to getting FI involved, I have no advice as I'm very confused by what you mean.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We finally set a date and  Now He wants me to start planning. My only problem Is I have no Idea Which Disney princess theme I want to use I mean its between Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. I have asked for my fiancee's help many times the only thing he says is that he wants the color red to be in it which is fine because red is my favorite color. The only issue is How would I make this work between the two and how do I pick between these two beautiful love stories.

First of all, you don't need a theme. The theme of your wedding is, well, a wedding. If you make it too much like a theme party, it's going to seem over the top and you're going to cause yourself more worry than it's worth.

If FI wants red in it, then go with a red and gold color scheme and tie in some Baroque style decor/accents.

In regard to getting FI involved, I have no advice as I'm very confused by what you mean.
  • You don't need a theme. Themes are for kids birthday parties. Go with colors that you like. You already have red - that's a good start. 
    Why are you asking him to contact wedding planners? Why can't you do that yourself? 
  • I think Beauty and the Beast would work great with red. You could use a lot if red roses and incorporate the gold of her ball gown, perhaps recreate the rose under the bell jar? You could also incorporate books, clocks, candlesticks, teapots...it could be fun without being too "theme-y."

As for getting your FH involved, maybe give him a specific task like researching caterers or DJs?
  • Cinderella would be easier to do, IMO, because there is plenty of weddings who have a Cinderella theme and therefore vendors have Cinderella themed stuff, ie. invitations.  
    Also, I always feel bad for the groom in weddings that have a Beauty & the Beast theme or Frog Prince/Kiss the Frog theme.
  • Are you certain that you/ H will still think a Disney themed wedding is cool/ fun/ creative in 20 years? Because if you arent positive, I would avoid it.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well I think you right about the theme i just want to incorporate Cinderella in the wedding I don't want to make it like a party at all. I just want to feel like a princess
  • I would not do a disney theme. I haven't gone to a disney themed event since I was a kid and birthday parties were disney princesses or whatever. 

To answer your question about colors, I think red fits with B&theB because of the rose symbolism. To do this, I would have your flowers be red roses and have your colors be red, gold and ivory. Stay away from themey stuff or you risk taking the focus away from the wedding and having it come off as childish. In other words.....

This:
    Not that:
    I personally see nothing wrong with the "Not that" examples. 

But I also went to school for animation. So my tastes skew different from the board.

OP, Red probably goes better with Beauty and the Best, but do what you want. If you want Cinderella but with red, go for it.  Search on pinterest, take one or two ideas that you really like (hell, let your FI see them too and see what you both like, it's his wedding too) . Just don't go balls to teh wall with the theme and you'll be fine.

Anniversary
  • chibiyui said:
    I would not do a disney theme. I haven't gone to a disney themed event since I was a kid and birthday parties were disney princesses or whatever. 

To answer your question about colors, I think red fits with B&theB because of the rose symbolism. To do this, I would have your flowers be red roses and have your colors be red, gold and ivory. Stay away from themey stuff or you risk taking the focus away from the wedding and having it come off as childish. In other words.....

This:
    Not that:
    I personally see nothing wrong with the "Not that" examples. 

But I also went to school for animation. So my tastes skew different from the board.

OP, Red probably goes better with Beauty and the Best, but do what you want. If you want Cinderella but with red, go for it.  Search on pinterest, take one or two ideas that you really like (hell, let your FI see them too and see what you both like, it's his wedding too) . Just don't go balls to teh wall with the theme and you'll be fine.
    But see, you have a degree in Art- on the whole it's best to shy away from a theme that you can only do half-way (Which, my gut tells me, the majority of people don't have the creative capability to do the "not" photos properly).
  • I also like the "not that" pictures. Just not the tea pot one. Anything Disney can be awesome as long as you do it tastefully and not cheesy. A rule of thumb, if you rely on your decorations coming directly from the Disney store then you are going way to literal and it will look cheap. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If a guest were to come to your wedding not ever knowing Beauty and the Beast or Cinderella, would it still look nice? If yes, awesome. If not, you are probably going overboard.

David Tutera did an episode on his wedding show about a bride who wanted to do Wizard of Oz. He made it a lot less cheesy.

Beauty and the Beast would be easier than Cinderella if you want red. I like the roses, books, and candelabras ideas. If you get married in a church, it could have stained glass. Your first dance could be the song from the movie. I think Alfred Angelo has a disney inspired line of dress.

• leelabear said:

I also like the "not that" pictures. Just not the tea pot one. Anything Disney can be awesome as long as you do it tastefully and not cheesy. A rule of thumb, if you rely on your decorations coming directly from the Disney store then you are going way to literal and it will look cheap.

If a guest were to come to your wedding not ever knowing Beauty and the Beast or Cinderella, would it still look nice? If yes, awesome. If not, you are probably going overboard.

David Tutera did an episode on his wedding show about a bride who wanted to do Wizard of Oz. He made it a lot less cheesy.

Beauty and the Beast would be easier than Cinderella if you want red. I like the roses, books, and candelabras ideas. If you get married in a church, it could have stained glass. Your first dance could be the song from the movie. I think Alfred Angelo has a disney inspired line of dress.

The bolded-- yes.  As long as you use inspiration from the love stories and movies, but don't literally do the bell jar or put teapots on your tables, this can be sweet.

If you want to feel like a princess... you don't need a Disney theme to do that!  Any formal wedding will make you feel like a princess, if that's your personality.

It seems like you could do a fantastic wedding with a French Baroque style.  You could put in little nods to the movie, like maybe using pages out of books in some of your decor, red roses, or a first dance from the movie.  I'm tempted to say you could work in a gray food somewhere so you can say, "Try the gray stuff!  It's delicious!"  BUT: choose inspiration that could be just anything, not too literal.  Think red roses or silver M&Ms, not a red rose in a bell jar and gray Jell-O.

Full disclosure: I am fairly anti-Disney kitsch, although I do love Beauty and the Beast in particular.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I agree with PPs that you don't need a theme.

HOWEVER, if you are dead set on a Disney themed wedding and want red to be your main color, I really don't think Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast work.  I'd go with Snow White or Alice in Wonderland.
  • I like both of the "this" and "not this" photos.

Friends of ours had a beauty and the beast theme for their shower- it actually looked really nice. They put rose heads inside upside down wine glasses that held a tea light on top (you can find zillions of photos on pinterest of this idea), and use candelabras for the table decoration. On other tables in the room they used items such as an old clock and fancy tea pot for decor. It was all beauty and the beast elements but nothing that said DISNEY. 

I think if you use the colour scheme you want and bring in ideas that you like from either movie it will look less Disney, more you. I think Beauty and the Beast has more specific elements you could use that fit a dinner event, but Cinderella is generally princess-y so you could do that in anyway (just please don't have glass slippers everywhere). 
  • You don't need a theme. Themes are for kids birthday parties. Go with colors that you like. You already have red - that's a good start. 
    Why are you asking him to contact wedding planners? Why can't you do that yourself? 
    Really? And here I was thinking they were for frat parties...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

•       Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie, so I'd go with that personally. The red theme would go nice with the rose from beauty and the beast. Whatever you choose I hope you post pictures!

I get you on wanting a Disney princess themed wedding, we are strongly leaning towards having our wedding at Disneyland, although It won't be princess themed , per se, I'll be the princess ;-p

Actually, we are probably going to go with more of a classic Disney character theme or a Tron theme. It probably sounds awful to most people on this board, but if you knew us well enough to be invited, you would get it.

Both my Fi and I are Disney freaks. We got engaged at Disney world. The majority of our friends and family also love Disney and go several times a year to the parks, so while it might not work for everyone, it works for us. 
  • I think it is cute you want to do a Princess themed wedding. Instead of picking one particular story though why don't you just go with a general princess theme?
  • Gosh, so many judgemental people here. o_O

I'm also having a Disney-inspired wedding (Chronicles of Narnia, we are having a winter wedding). I think the Disney Princess theme is fun, as long as you make it more mature and that the references are subtle. I agree with a few previous posters : the rose in Beauty and the Beast makes it easier to incorporate red here and there. You could also use books as part of your centerpieces (as Belle loves to read) and chandeliers. 

I actually prefer the ''not that'' pictures posted previously. Once you know the theme, it's obvious which movie it is. But if you don't, it still looks pretty and not too girly. And it doesn't mean you can't use red roses here and there. Your FH could also have discreet, red accessories (such as cufflinks, tie pin, or even socks). 

I'm sure it will look amazing ! 
  • I agree that it's not a great idea to have a theme for a wedding. You want your wedding to be a timeless, grown-up event. If you really want a Disney theme, could you incorporate it into an engagement party or maybe one of your showers?
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I agree that it's not a great idea to have a theme for a wedding. You want your wedding to be a timeless, grown-up event. If you really want a Disney theme, could you incorporate it into an engagement party or maybe one of your showers?
    SIB****** This is a semi dead thread. It has not been active in months. When responding to a thread, check the date under the avatar of the last responder. That will indicate whether the post is recent or dead.
  • MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    Oops... This post was an accident.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards