Ohio-Columbus

Need Help/Advice

Hoping someone has some words of wisdom/creative ideas on my situation

I have to start out by saying that the most important thing to me is not how I want to look on my wedding day, it my fiancé's reaction when he sees me. The wedding planning is fun, but it's more about the two of us and I have been so excited about that moment, until now!

I bought my Mori Lee 1862 lace mermaid dress from Henri's back in March. It wasn't my typical style really but I thought it fit my venue at the time (venue has changed slightly) and it was romantic and pretty. Since then (and he hasn't been trying to be unkind, he didn't know I had it when this started) anytime he sees a mermaid style dress (ones that look just like mine) he comments on how he doesn't like them. Literally every other style he says is ok... even the crazy ones, he just doesn't like mermaid styles. I had been stressing (because it's EVERY time) and brought up that I was concerned he wouldn't like it. I swear to you he said "I'll love it. You know the only thing I wouldn't like is a mermaid style so you wouldn't have got one. I don't know what you're worried about"

What do I do???? My mom paid for most of the dress and even though she isn't sentimental about it, I know it wasn't easy for her to give me that much money. If I try to pay her back (which would take awhile) I know she wouldn't take it. I've listed it on Preowned dresses, but I don't know if people really shop for dresses that way, maybe if it was a super expensive dress and that was the only way they could afford it, but mine was reasonable (not cheap but not $10k) Can you alter a mermaid into anything else??? would it ruin the dress? Should I just let my mom be mad at me for the rest of my life and buy a new one???

Re: Need Help/Advice

• I would tell him i got a mermaid and ask him what he suggests. I believe he will think you look amazing in anything. My first husband was adamant he did not like straps and would only like me in strapless. In the end i told him it's my dress and he loved how i looked despite the straps. So i think you should wear the dress you love, he'll see how happy you are and think you are gorgeous in it...or in a paper bag!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thanks. I told him there were details about my dress that he has mentioned he didn't like, he told me it didn't matter if I wore a burlap sack, he would love it. I just want him to be excited, I keep picturing him frowning as I walk down the aisle. I'm being dramatic, but I just want him to love it.
  • I'm sure he will be wowed by whatever style of dress you wear. He may not think he likes mermaids but like many brides feel when shopping, it's entirely different on you. You go in looking for one thing and fall in love with something else. He probably won't even notice what you have on at first, he will just see how gorgeous you look.
  • When I started looking for dresses, my fiance said he didn't like lace.  That was the only thing he could tell me he wouldn't be into if it were on my dress---well i LOVE lace lol  and the idea of a lace gown really fit our venue.

I went shopping last weekend and I told the associate I didn't want anything with lace bc my fiance doesn't like it.  After trying on 15 dresses and having no luck, the associate brought back a different dress--and it had a lot of lace!  She said, don't judge this too much--just put it on!

I put it on and fell in love, it was definitely the one!  Then she told me that she has a TON of brides who come in and say they don't want lace bc their fiance hates lace---but in reality, the guys just picture their grandmother's doilies (spelling?) and assume that's what it looks like.

Once they see it on the bride they love it!

Maybe your having the same thing?  I actually don't like mermaid style dresses when I see them on models and in magazines, but I have had two friends select that style of gown and i LOVE it on them!  

I think men have no idea what they like/don't like until they see it in person--and I am sure you will WOW your fiance and he will definitely NOT be frowning as you walk down the aisle!

I do think that if you feel like it will bother you that much, you might think about selling the dress and finding something else. This is your one wedding day, and you want it to be perfect--so if that's not the dress you HAVE to get married in--it might be worth a second look!
  • Thanks all! I think I've made  up my mind to buy a reception dress that is tea length and a little poofy, that way he can see me in both styles (and it will be easier to move around in)

This dress stuff is stressful!!

• Thanks all! I think I've made  up my mind to buy a reception dress that is tea length and a little poofy, that way he can see me in both styles (and it will be easier to move around in)

This dress stuff is stressful!!

Good...just don't spend an arm and a leg in case he thinks you look amazing (which I think he will) and you decide not to change. ;)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards