Favors

Family portraits as a favor?

My photographer mentioned that they do two types of photobooths for weddings, one is the typical booth with funny props and the three pictures, and the other is a family portrait booth.  The thought is that everyone is already dressed up, so it's a great time to get a nice picture taken.  I am still a little hazy on the details (it was a phone conversation, and I don't do the best on the phone as I'm a visual person), but this is what I believe she said: everyone who used it would get a 4x6 family photo right then, and the proofs would go up on a website where they could order larger ones or use the proof to make something (christmas card or whatever...).  These would also be free to the guests as we covered the cost of it all in the initial booth rental fee.  It would be set up with a nice backdrop, and it operated by a second photographer rather than a traditional automatic photobooth.

The photographer said that some people in the past would use this as a favor for the guests.  My question is, do you think this would ok?  I'm kinda torn on whether or not it would be a great idea or completely side-eyed.  I think it would be nice because it would definitely last longer than the "meant to be" mints or gum, but I am just not sure how it will be received.  This is all assuming again that it is completely free to the guests.  Obviously if they had to pay for something later I wouldn't do it.

Re: Family portraits as a favor?

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2013
    My cousin did this at her wedding...in 1989. No joke!

The unedited proof is free...not the edited prints or rights to the high-res jpegs. Guests have to pay for those. Seems like a shady sales tactic.
  • itzMS said:
    My cousin did this at her wedding...in 1989. No joke! The unedited proof is free...not the edited prints or rights to the high-res jpegs. Guests have to pay for those. Seems like a shady sales tactic.
    I'm checking to clarify about the edited prints and jpegs.  Thanks for the heads up.  If that's true then I might just go with the regular booth with photo strips and silly props.
  • Personally, I would prefer edible favours than photos.
  • I think this would only go over well with guests who are family members.  Those who are not would not appreciate them.
  • Just like Jen4948 said, for family members it will be great, for friends it might be weird. I do like the idea though. I made copies of my photos for family members that turned out nice, and sent them to them. Because how many times when couples get dressed up and you get a nice photo.

Since my bridal party had their families with them I had my professional photographer do family shots of them and then I printed them & framed them & gave them as gifts. I also gave them an extra 5x7 to share with their parents.

• Yeah, I don't understand this as a favor.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 said:
    Yeah, I don't understand this as a favor.
    I don't think it's a photo of the bride and groom.  I think they mean that Susie from college and her husband can go to the photo booth and have their picture taken and then order prints of that picture.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the photo strips better. You can have your normal photographer to family photos and you can send them along later. I'm into the photo strips though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards