Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Signature Drinks & Shots

So in an effort to keep our bar-on-consumption cost a little lower, we would love some suggestions on the best signature drinks! Either ones from your own wedding or weddings you've been to. I like fruity girly drinks... fiancé isn't terribly picky, but we would like two!

We are having cases of our favorite wine and kegs of his favorite beer also brought in for the reception, so our guests will have more than two choices. We just think signature drinks are a cute touch and could help keep cost low :)

On a related note - policies on guests taking shots?? We don't want shots on our tab, we plan to have chalkboard menus on the bar so would it be okay to have one that said "shots cash only" or something along those lines??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Signature Drinks & Shots

• Your guests shouldn't have to pay for anything at your reception.  Don't pay for certain things and allow for extra things if guests are willing to pay themselves.  That said, I think it's fine to have a no shots rule, although I think your not wanting to pay for shots sounds kind of arbitrary.  Many venues have a no shots policy, so your venue may not even allow shots, and even if they do, I think it's ok to ask the bartender not to serve shots.  Don't put up a sign, though, just have the bartender inform people that order shots that they aren't being served.  

As for your sig cocktails, what kinds of alcohol do you like?  We had sweet tea vodka and lemonade as ours, since we got married in the summer.  What season is your wedding?
  • In regards to shots, does your venue even allow them?  I know our venue said that ordering shots was not allowed.

I agree with Jessica.  If you do not want shots served then just instruct your bartender to not serve shots if they are ordered.

• So in an effort to keep our bar-on-consumption cost a little lower, we would love some suggestions on the best signature drinks! Either ones from your own wedding or weddings you've been to. I like fruity girly drinks... fiancé isn't terribly picky, but we would like two! We are having cases of our favorite wine and kegs of his favorite beer also brought in for the reception, so our guests will have more than two choices. We just think signature drinks are a cute touch and could help keep cost low :) On a related note - policies on guests taking shots?? We don't want shots on our tab, we plan to have chalkboard menus on the bar so would it be okay to have one that said "shots cash only" or something along those lines??

No.  Nothing should be offered at the reception that will cost them.  Just don't offer shots.
  • Second to not even offering shots. 

What time of year is your wedding - it would totally affect my answer on what signature drinks would be good. Can you tell more about it? Outdoor/indoor? Formal/casual? Etc...?
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks for the input on shots - we will simply tell our bartender not to serve them! :)

Our wedding is 3/28/2015 so right on the edge of Spring. Indoor, formal, kind of a rustic theme, and we are both just very laid back.

I like Malibu coconut rum, vodka, really anything fruity. Sex on the beach (orange juice, cranberry, vodka) is a favorite, but obviously we would try and come up with a better name for it haha malibu with pineapple juice is my go-to anytime we are out. Fiance is super simple - he's a cranberry/red bull or screwdriver kind of guy if he's doing hard alcohol. 

I'm a teacher, he's a race car driver, so we are thinking we will try to come up with names that kind of go along with our professions... if we can be that creative!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a big fan of the John Daly (alcoholic Arnold Palmer). It's a crowd pleaser and cuts down on extra ingredients because they can serve the plain old AP or just lemonade, or just iced tea. If you like fruity stuff, would you do a strawberry margarita, daiquiri, pina colada or mai tai? 

If you're from an area where March can be really cold, you could consider hot alcoholic drinks like spike cider, hot toddy, or irish coffee. 

I would recommend picking out two or three alcohol types (e.g. vodka, whiskey, gin) and then start looking at a signature drink for each. I'd go with commonly known drinks. If you try to concoct your own, make it simple. Otherwise the line at the bar will be really long because the bartender will be explaining over and over again drinks no one has ever heard of and they can't figure out what they want.
    *********************************************************************************

• Good call on keeping it simple to avoid the lines!!

My fiance might be interested in the John Daly, he is a big fan of Arnold Palmers. We don't necessarily want to concoct our own, just looking for suggestions of ones people have seen or intend to do themselves. Thanks for the tips!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • how about blue hawaiians? Malibu, blue caracao, pineapple juice, and a little sprite. Definitely my go to drink when I'm out!
  • When we were looking at venues, one was set up for a wedding and they had a sign explaining their signature drink. So if you come up with a creative name, you can explain it, and either way you can list the ingredients to reduce the line issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards