Snarky Brides

The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

• Kerigirl9 said:

The naughty bridesmaids pics? What on earth is the point? It's neither funny nor Interesting. What's it supposed to say? Good god, what an unbelievable waste of 5 minutes to pose that shot. A I missing something here? To me this looks unbearably tacky.

What the heck is a naughty BM pic? This makes me scared to stand up in another wedding...
    *********************************************************************************

• I don't mind the style of the wedding or even themes too much.

I really don't like:
    - Not engaged yet (or even not dating at the moment) with dozens of pinterest pics or saved pics of the wedding.  Sure, you may have seen something once that you thought was cool and saved it but if you have ideas of a bunch of stuff, that means that you have all these ideas for your wedding not our wedding.

-Rules about proposals.  My H broke every single one.  Picture of it? No.  Done nails?  We'd just gotten back from a full day of 10 miles of hiking and flying around in a tiny plane in the hottest day that town had all summer.  I was gross and my nails certainly weren't done.  Didn't even shower that morning because I knew I'd get gross.  Total surprise?  A little bit.  It wasn't a complete surprise.  I knew it would happen sometime in the two days when I was able to visit.  Down on one knee?  He forgot.  Asked my dad?  He wanted me to know first.  He talked to my dad afterward.

-Cake toppers with the groom (or the bride, they have those too!) being reluctant.  I see those and I think, "Well this marriage is certainly going to be a long and happy one since one of them doesn't want it!"

-Cakes with fondant.  I have never had good fondant.  Not having it was a requirement at our wedding.

-The pics showing underwear.  I have 0 friends that I would do that for.
  • bunni727 said:
    Oh, and pictures like this ( can't find the one I wanted, where all the BMs are doing it, but I'm sure you've seen it):

If a bride asked me to bare my backside for a picture, I would be completely dumbstruck. I mean, who says, "Hey friend, you know what this picture is missing? Your ass."
    W.T.F??!? O.o when the HELL did this trend start?!?!? This is the FIRST I have ever even heard of this kind of pic being taken. All to you if this is what you and your gals think is funny or if you take it with a private camera, not with the professionals. With the professionals, those will be seen but a lot more people (usually). 

I agree with the others on here, I am shy, I would be completely speechless if my friend/family asked me to do this!!! What the heck have I been missing on Pinterest o.O??? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm 33 and divorced. My FI proposed and after I said yes, he called my dad to ask. To me, it's just a matter of respect. It didn't make me feel like property. I've been on my own for a long time - I moved out of my parents for good when I was just 20 years old. FI and I had only been dating for 5 months. And it really meant a lot to my dad that FI asked. 

I have not seen the naughty bridesmaids pictures before. Do not like. 
  • For those who haven't seen it, this is the most widely circulated pinterested picture. (Left). It's actually pinned to boards titled "wedding ideas" or "fun wedding pics." The mind boggles. And it seems that the trend is growing. (Right) I cannot think of enough ways to say No.
  • One I saw is for ring tattoos, which I think is a bad idea, as if you get a divorce, you have to get that removed.

I agree about fondant, as I've never had any that was good.
  • Themes. I don't freakin get it!

Has anyone seen the pins for superhero themed stuff? No, not for children's birthday parties... Weddings. In one the groom's boutonnière is a action figure. If your husband really wants to walk around with Spider-Man pinned to his suit jacket all day I'm pretty sure you're going to have some issues later on.

The other day I saw a circus wedding where they dressed the ring bearer up as a lion tamer. Why?!?!?
  • To be honest I'm getting a bit annoyed with "The Great Gatsby" themed weddings.  I don't even think half the people pinning these even read the book.  You wanna have a jazz age inspired wedding, fine, just quit calling it Gatsby themed.  Unless your wedding plans involve an extravagant jazz age party ending with two people dead and everyone disillusioned with the jazz age as a whole, it is not a Gatsby party.  Not to mention a good portion of the romance in that book is a doomed affair between a total indecisive air headed bitch and someone trying to buy his way into her pants.  It's a beautifully written book, but it is not something you want to associate with your own love life.  And anyone who has read the book they're basing their wedding off of would realize that.
    Also those pins are EVERYWHERE.  I mean, I get that the 3D movie just came out *Shudders* but can't anyone think of their own ideas?  I get that nothing is perfectly unique and on Pinterest any idea has been used before, but can we not base our weddings solely off of what movies have recently come out?  

STUCK IN BOX: Ugh, I totally agree. It's like having a Romeo and Juliet wedding. Why would you want to base your wedding on a tragedy?
  • Themes. I don't freakin get it! Has anyone seen the pins for superhero themed stuff? No, not for children's birthday parties... Weddings. In one the groom's boutonnière is a action figure. If your husband really wants to walk around with Spider-Man pinned to his suit jacket all day I'm pretty sure you're going to have some issues later on. The other day I saw a circus wedding where they dressed the ring bearer up as a lion tamer. Why?!?!?

I am so with you. Style is fine. Pick a style. Themes have gone too far. Nutcracker theme. Produce theme. Cartoon theme. We love computers theme. Little mermaid theme. (Another love story that ends in death.) My daughter is having a wedding themed wedding. I like that girl.
  • For those who haven't seen it, this is the most widely circulated pinterested picture. (Left). It's actually pinned to boards titled "wedding ideas" or "fun wedding pics." The mind boggles. And it seems that the trend is growing. (Right) I cannot think of enough ways to say No.
    Ummm eww!! WHY would anyone do this? You seriously want everyone to see your underwear? Not only yours but your bridal party and groom's too? Huh?!?!? I don't get it!!!

Theme - I'm a hit or miss with this one. I've seen weddings done with little touches of something that the couple love and I've also seen weddings that were full out themed and awesome, IMO. I've also seen where they are just horribly done. If you're going to do a fully themed wedding, you go all out if you can( and have the money) if not, just do little touches here and there. Don't half ass it. (This is what I mean by all out: http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2013/09/photos-sean-parker-wedding)

Great Gatsby Theme - I'm getting REALLY sick and tired of seeing this. The movie looked awesome but seriously....unless you have the money to pull it off just stop...>.>

Cake toppers showing bride or groom not happy about being married - yeah I don't find it funny either. Marriage should not be treated as a joke. This is a serious commitment. I hate when the bride or groom answers their vows "If I have to.." "Yeah I guess so" or anything along those lines it's like really?

Not engaged yet - I was one of those little girls that thought about my wedding but not to the extent that some of the girls are doing on Pinterest. I mean sure I thought about my colors and whether I wanted to get married in a church or not, what kind of setting I wanted for my venue, but I didn't have every little detail picked out!!

Proposal rules - Ummm this is a new one but I have heard about it. This is kind of ridiculous!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also don't get why a wedding needs a theme. It's so bizarre to me. 

The cake toppers with the groom trying to get away are awful! Why do you want to convey the idea that your man is running away from you??
  • I'm also a person who says my theme is "wedding" or "marriage."

In college the recruitment chair of my sorority wanted everyone to have themed rooms for rush and my roommates and I put our theme down as "cute."

I also somewhat side eye the whole "what are your colors" thing. I always respond "the bridesmaid dresses will be navy and the flowers will be peach, white, and green." Everything else is just going to be a natural color for the object so I suppose we aren't really having "colors." Why should I have navy table linens just because my bridesmaid dresses are navy, when the standard color for table linens is white/ivory?
  • I am totally doing "heart hands" LOL
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I also don't get why a wedding needs a theme. It's so bizarre to me. 

The cake toppers with the groom trying to get away are awful! Why do you want to convey the idea that your man is running away from you??

I personally think those toppers are really tacky.

I admit I get a giggle out of the ones people put of the bride dragging the guy from his video games (I'm a gamer so it's reverse for us). Still could not fathom having that on our cake though.

• MrsAitch said:
    I'm also a person who says my theme is "wedding" or "marriage."

In college the recruitment chair of my sorority wanted everyone to have themed rooms for rush and my roommates and I put our theme down as "cute."

I also somewhat side eye the whole "what are your colors" thing. I always respond "the bridesmaid dresses will be navy and the flowers will be peach, white, and green." Everything else is just going to be a natural color for the object so I suppose we aren't really having "colors." Why should I have navy table linens just because my bridesmaid dresses are navy, when the standard color for table linens is white/ivory?
    Because the colors for everything must match!  If your invitations, bridal party dresses, flowers and linens don't coordinate, you aren't legally married.  That's the law, right?

I agree, this question drives me INSANE.  Also add to the list anything anyone tells me I "have" to have or do (unless related to proper hosting of course).
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
    classy
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• MadHops21MadHops21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2013
    I've been on Pinterest a lot longer that I would like to admit. Really popular picture is to copy the Bridesmaid movie pic. It is everywhere. I don't understand it....

ETA had to laugh when I saw that the bottom picture has the 2nd girl to the left putting her leg up against an imaginary wall. Grass and heels...I'd tip over too fast for the photographer to take a pic! That take skillFun Bridesmaids pic!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Ugh I hate when people try to remake that Bridesmaids picture!
  • Yeah, that picture - FAIL. 
  • How about that picture of the groomsmen in super hero under garments? yuck

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/starcrush.com/files/2013/02/julie-andrews-WTF.gif
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CLI242009 said:
    How about that picture of the groomsmen in super hero under garments? yuck

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/starcrush.com/files/2013/02/julie-andrews-WTF.gif
    Julie Andrews = my spirit animal. Why would you want a picture of anyone's underwear in your wedding album?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I don't mind the "Mumford" look as they called it in the article. But the heart hands are SO cheesy, hate that! And I agree with the guns thing...just why? Goes hand in hand with camo at weddings, yuck!
  • I completely agree with a lot of the posts here. I personally dislike rustic and burlap. I'm also perplexed by the hoards of young girls who have wedding boards with hundreds of luxury weddings, $10,000 dresses, and gigantic engagement rings, thinking those items are the norm. I hope they marry a Rockefeller. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I completely agree with a lot of the posts here. I personally dislike rustic and burlap. I'm also perplexed by the hoards of young girls who have wedding boards with hundreds of luxury weddings, $10,000 dresses, and gigantic engagement rings, thinking those items are the norm. I hope they marry a Rockefeller. 
    I think that's the problem...they're either watching stuff on t.v. - like Kardashians lifestyles thinking it's the norm or other shows like that. It's normal to dream and daydream but the stuff going on pinterest is just, IMO not normal....

@Majelin86 - Heart hands? You mean the symbol that taylor Swift does? >.> I mean it's cute if it's the couple's personality but when you can tell it's NOT in the couple's personality the pictures just come out awkward.

@Inkdancer - My thoughts exactly...I sure as heck wouldn't!!! Again to me it's just one of those things that has to fit the couple's personality. Or hell the bridal party's personality! I love my girls...but I would not show my underwear/ass for a comical staged wedding shot....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't get the pictures with the wedding party all holding guns. I'm from a small redneck town so a lot of people I know have done it with hunting rifles. My FBIL (FSIL's husband) send me a picture of one with assault rifles and said he wouldn't be attending the wedding if we didn't do wedding party picture like that.

Welp. I guess we won't be seeing you at the wedding. 
  • CLI242009 said:
    I completely agree with a lot of the posts here. I personally dislike rustic and burlap. I'm also perplexed by the hoards of young girls who have wedding boards with hundreds of luxury weddings, $10,000 dresses, and gigantic engagement rings, thinking those items are the norm. I hope they marry a Rockefeller. 
    I think that's the problem...they're either watching stuff on t.v. - like Kardashians lifestyles thinking it's the norm or other shows like that. It's normal to dream and daydream but the stuff going on pinterest is just, IMO not normal....

@Majelin86 - Heart hands? You mean the symbol that taylor Swift does? >.> I mean it's cute if it's the couple's personality but when you can tell it's NOT in the couple's personality the pictures just come out awkward.

@Inkdancer - My thoughts exactly...I sure as heck wouldn't!!! Again to me it's just one of those things that has to fit the couple's personality. Or hell the bridal party's personality! I love my girls...but I would not show my underwear/ass for a comical staged wedding shot....
    Absolutely. I definitely agree that it's always normal to dream, but when young girls are watching television shows that feature over the top, luxurious weddings, they often believe that that is normal and perfectly attainable. When I was younger, I never realized how even the simplest thing in a wedding can be pretty pricey!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• CLI242009 said:
    I completely agree with a lot of the posts here. I personally dislike rustic and burlap. I'm also perplexed by the hoards of young girls who have wedding boards with hundreds of luxury weddings, $10,000 dresses, and gigantic engagement rings, thinking those items are the norm. I hope they marry a Rockefeller. 

Absolutely. I definitely agree that it's always normal to dream, but when young girls are watching television shows that feature over the top, luxurious weddings, they often believe that that is normal and perfectly attainable. When I was younger, I never realized how even the simplest thing in a wedding can be pretty pricey!
    Yup. I knew from listening and watching other friends and family when I was younger, that the food would be the most. I just didn't realize how frickin much o.O!! I didn't take into consideration how big my family was and how big my "future" hubby's family would be.

Or hell what about shows Bridezillas (I know that show was fake) but shows like this where the reason WHY these brides got on t.v was because they acted the way they did on t.v. I mean now a days instead of thinking "that was such a wrong and bad idea or that is just stupid" you have kids out there trying to do copy cats thinking it'll make them famous and get them on t.v. *sighs* I know it's been said but man humanity is doomed hahaha

Sorry I know it's old news but I was reading another site and was just informed about the "Knockout" Game that has been in the news lately? So I was kind of venting at the end of my post lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards