Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Have you heard of this superstition?

So, a friend is getting engaged and has asked me to hold the ring to make it a surprise (so his girlfriend doesn't find it). My husband says that we can't look at the ring because it's bad luck for anyone besides the proposer to see the ring before they propose. Has anyone heard of this before? I have seriously never heard this superstition so now we're wondering if it's just one of those funny regional differences or he made it up. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Have you heard of this superstition?

• I have never heard that one.  What I have heard of is many guys grabbing the brides sister or best friend to help them shop.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He has no idea where he heard it. It's definitely not a regional thing because his sister hasn't heard of it either. I really think he might have combined the dress thing with this. I pointed out that many rings are heirlooms too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've never heard of this as a superstition. However, if someone gave me a ring to hold onto I wouldn't look at it out of courtesy for the future fiancee and because it's none of my business. I guess I'd just feel that if it was my good friend, she'd want to be the one to show it to me. Not because my curiosity asked me to open the box and take a peek. But that's just me personally.
    *********************************************************************************

• I have never heard of that before.
  • I've never heard of that before. 
  • Never heard of that one before.  My ring was heirloom ring (his grandmothers) so I know a lot of people (like all of his family) saw it before I did... and I said yes.

• Uh...what about everyone who works at the jewelry store, the jeweler who set the stone, etc?  Makes no sense.
  • I have never heard of it, and it doesn't make sense to me, because the ring has to be made and sold.
  • I have not heard of it either.

maybe it's something associated with a specific heritage background?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've never heard of it. And I guess I'm totally having bad luck because my FI recruited my best friend to ring shop with him. She tried on my ring before I did. 
  • Maybe the superstition is really supposed to be if the girlfriend sees it. That would make more sense.
  • I have heard of if someone tries the ring on before the bride, it's bad luck. 
  • My husband showed all my close friends and got their approval before proposing, I don't think our relationship or marrige has been jinxed! (Knock on wood...)
  • I sure hope not!  My understanding is that my FI was so excited before he proposed that he showed practically half the airmen on base after he picked up the ring on his lunch break!
  • I picked out my ring cause my fiance cant keep secrets, so I really hope not.
  • I've heard not to wear anyone's ring because it would bring bad luck (not that I believe it, and why would I try on someone else's ring anyway ? LOL). But not to look at it ? This is not something I had heard before. 
  • I worked in jewelry for years but never heard that one!
  • Never heard that one. H showed the ring to my parents when he was asking for their blessing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When my now fiancé's parents even held and brought the ring to our vacation where he proposed. And his mother is super superstitious
  • Never heard of it. I have heard the one about someone else trying it on before or the one about using a ring from a broken marriage / marriage with cheating spouses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards