Not Engaged Yet

Our sick, sad world (Not a Daria reference, sadly)

I received this video(http://www.kisscleveland.com/pages/java.html?article=11815092) in my email this morning, along with a warning to let administration know if we witness anything of this nature in or outside of school. I am so appalled by this! I should NEVER have to worry about leaving alone or being knocked out as I go about my day. And I am NOT fearful of youth, they should BE FEARFUL of ME. How did our society get to this point?

Re: Our sick, sad world (Not a Daria reference, sadly)

• This makes me angry! Just wow.
  • Sick, senseless and sad.  I'd like to see someone try this while I'm walking our dog.  I might end up on the ground but he/she would end up with a few new holes. 

• minskat30 said:

Sick, senseless and sad.  I'd like to see someone try this while I'm walking our dog.  I might end up on the ground but he/she would end up with a few new holes. 

My mom's lab recently went into attack mode. She use to be so friendly! But now, if she doesn't know you and we don't say "leave it" or "it's okay" she snarls! We didn't even train her. She started doing it right after my mom's new security system went in!
  • What a bunch of assholes. Seriously wtf is wrong with kids?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @minskat30 and @psychbabe314  I think another thing worth thinking about is the possibility of impressionable kids taking part in "Knock-out" and not being successful and having someone hurt them in defense. What happens then?

• 500days said:
    @minskat30 and @psychbabe314  I think another thing worth thinking about is the possibility of impressionable kids taking part in "Knock-out" and not being successful and having someone hurt them in defense. What happens then?
    That is true. I guess it is one of those things that turns into a learning experience. You go to touch a hot stove and it hurts, then you don't do it again.
  • The whole thing is BAD. If an adult counterattacks a group of teens it can get really fucking hairy if it ever gets reported. 

• 500days said:
    The whole thing is BAD. If an adult counterattacks a group of teens it can get really fucking hairy if it ever gets reported. 
    Even if it is self-defense? Honestly, I can't see getting an unbiased jury in on this. How many people are going to look at it and go "Kids will be kids?"

I can see how it could get hairy. Jeez... I'm glad I am not in law because I wouldn't want to touch a case like that with a 10 foot pole!
  • This is insane. Teenagers are so messed up these days. The worst part is, I don't think they realize how bad this is but decide to do in anyway - I get the feeling that they don't empathize AT ALL with their victims. Neither do most of the teens that are being interviewed about what "knockout" is. It's effed up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I can't believe this. I'm amazed at the lack of empathy and common decency this whole thing shows. How anybody could consider this "fun" is beyond me.
  • Fucked up.
    This sorta stuff gets me so upset.
  • In an urban environment I could see how lots of surveillance cameras could easily pick up what happened. Case closed. But what about suburban areas? It's super startling to see how this could easily spread due to the nature of social media.
  • minskat30 said:

Sick, senseless and sad.  I'd like to see someone try this while I'm walking our dog.  I might end up on the ground but he/she would end up with a few new holes. 

My mom's lab recently went into attack mode. She use to be so friendly! But now, if she doesn't know you and we don't say "leave it" or "it's okay" she snarls! We didn't even train her. She started doing it right after my mom's new security system went in!

How old is your mom's lab?  I'd be a little worried about a complete 180 in personality change to strangers.  Did anything happen to her? 

Our dog is a sweetie and has only gone into attack mode once (when I was about to be attacked late at night by a group of 6 "men").  I've never seen him like that before and hope I never have to see him like that again but boy was he effective in protecting me.  I still get the chills thinking about what could have happened that night to me and how our giant beast wouldn't let it happen on his watch. 

• 500days said:
    The whole thing is BAD. If an adult counterattacks a group of teens it can get really fucking hairy if it ever gets reported. 

I know.  This would be a bad case legally speaking if there was a counterattack.  You'd have a hard time claiming self defense if it was one hit to a person that knocked them out, the attacker was fleeing and others used force (deadly vs non-deadly would matter too) to stop him from fleeing.  Sounds like a good question for the Bar exam actually.
  • That is disgusting.  They should show the faces of these punks that think this is so cool.  As bad as it sounds, it really doesn't surprise me.  These kids have no empathy or respect for others because they were never taught it.  I can almost guarantee that when one of them gets their ass shot and killed over something like this, the family that should have taught them will be all over the news proclaiming they were good boys and didn't never deserve to be killed like that. 

• minskat30 said:
    minskat30 said:

How old is your mom's lab?  I'd be a little worried about a complete 180 in personality change to strangers.  Did anything happen to her? 

Our dog is a sweetie and has only gone into attack mode once (when I was about to be attacked late at night by a group of 6 "men").  I've never seen him like that before and hope I never have to see him like that again but boy was he effective in protecting me.  I still get the chills thinking about what could have happened that night to me and how our giant beast wouldn't let it happen on his watch. 

She is going to be 4 this year. But, as far as I know, absolutely nothing. My mom was joking that maybe the security system makes her feel inadequate! But, she is a super big sweetie otherwise and I can still get her to play and be friendly around people. Even on walks she is great! Just a big puppy! It is just in the house where she gets like that. It could be a dominance thing. But, she has had the house to herself for over a year so I didn't think that was it.
  • minskat30 said:
    minskat30 said:

She is going to be 4 this year. But, as far as I know, absolutely nothing. My mom was joking that maybe the security system makes her feel inadequate! But, she is a super big sweetie otherwise and I can still get her to play and be friendly around people. Even on walks she is great! Just a big puppy! It is just in the house where she gets like that. It could be a dominance thing. But, she has had the house to herself for over a year so I didn't think that was it.
    Hmmm, odd to go through a shift at 4.  Has she been to the vet lately?  I might get her checked just to be on the safe side.  Don't mean to scare you or anything but usually big personality shifts come through either something happening to the dog or the dog's owner or medical issues that make them feel like they have to over compensate. I'm sure she's fine but it seems odd to display the behavior a year after she's had the run of the house and at her age (2 I would get, as that is when they go through a fun little "stage").  She could just be a late bloomer too.
  • minskat30 said:
    minskat30 said:
    minskat30 said:

Hmmm, odd to go through a shift at 4.  Has she been to the vet lately?  I might get her checked just to be on the safe side.  Don't mean to scare you or anything but usually big personality shifts come through either something happening to the dog or the dog's owner or medical issues that make them feel like they have to over compensate. I'm sure she's fine but it seems odd to display the behavior a year after she's had the run of the house and at her age (2 I would get, as that is when they go through a fun little "stage").  She could just be a late bloomer too.
    Ya, she needs her rabies shot soon and we can ask then. Another reason could just be having my dad out of the house again. Maybe it upset her for some reason or another. I don't think it is medical because she is much better when I am home. She relaxes a lot around me. It might be because I am so dominant with her. Maybe she is just lacking that "direction"?
  • minskat30 said:
    minskat30 said:
    minskat30 said:

Ya, she needs her rabies shot soon and we can ask then. Another reason could just be having my dad out of the house again. Maybe it upset her for some reason or another. I don't think it is medical because she is much better when I am home. She relaxes a lot around me. It might be because I am so dominant with her. Maybe she is just lacking that "direction"?
    That could be it for sure.  Most dogs are looking for a pack leader (I say "most" because some are bred over the generations to be independent work-alone dogs). 
  • minskat30 said:
    minskat30 said:
    minskat30 said:
    minskat30 said:

That could be it for sure.  Most dogs are looking for a pack leader (I say "most" because some are bred over the generations to be independent work-alone dogs). 
    Ya, I might have to work with my sister on being more dominant with her so that she feels more at ease
  • psychbabe314 - My family had a lab for a long time, and he was very protective about strangers. He would go into barking fits if a stranger was in our yard or came to the door. He would have never harmed them if we let him out or something (unless they were threatening I assume), but would just look and sound like he would from behind the windows and door. He was growling, barking, had hair standing up on end. However, when my dad was home, he was essentially "off duty" and it was not nearly as bad as when it was Dad wasn't home. He was barking more as an alarm, like "Hey, there's a person here if you want to know." And wouldn't go as full out as when my dad wasn't home. He saw Dad as the pack leader, and assumed that he would protect everyone should something happen. 

I'm not saying that that is what is going on exactly in your situation, as our dog did that from basically day one, but it may be something like this, especially since you say that it's better when you (the dominate one) are home. This is just anecdotal evidence to what you and @minskat30 were saying.

• Thanks @FoxandBunny, I was kind of leaning towards that explanation
  • I know I"m digging up an old thread, but I just wanted to tell you guys this morning I got an e-mail form our head of security at our company about Knockout. Apparently someone that works with the University we're affiliated with was a victim a few days ago.

Wonderful...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Riss2893Riss2893 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    500days said:
    @minskat30 and @psychbabe314  I think another thing worth thinking about is the possibility of impressionable kids taking part in "Knock-out" and not being successful and having someone hurt them in defense. What happens then?
    About that...

This is where I currently live. 
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/21/Teen-Playing-Knockout-Game-Gets-Shot-Twice

ETA: The original article from my local news station. LINK
  • 500days said:
    About that...

This is where I currently live. 
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/21/Teen-Playing-Knockout-Game-Gets-Shot-Twice

ETA: The original article from my local news station. LINK
    did the victim have any charges against him?
  • @buddysmom80 and @riss2893 that's insane! I just cannot believe that this is a real fucking thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards