November 2014 Weddings

Is having a wedding on Thanksgiving bad?

My Fiance and I are postponing our wedding which was supposed to be March 2014 to Novemeberish 2014. I was thinking we should have it on Thanksgiving because all his family well the important members go and meet up at his church and share a dinner. I was thinking since everyone will be in town and in a church we could have two celebrations. We really don't plan to have a lavish wedding with a ton of people which is why I like this idea since it will be the most important members and it will be small and meaningful, but I do not know if it is rude or not to have it on that day or the day after.

Re: Is having a wedding on Thanksgiving bad?

• I don't understand. Are you planning to make your wedding on Thanksgiving and ask these family members to do something different from their usual church dinner or are you trying to take a church dinner that other people plan and pay for and high jack it to make it your wedding?

• I personally want to take advantage of Thanksgiving and have my wedding that week, because his family can come in town. I do not want to have it ON Thanksgiving though. If it is just family there may not be a problem, it just may be tricky with friends/not so close family members. I personally love to have time like Thanksgiving to be with my family and would probably not go to a friend's wedding that day unless we were extremely close. It's not "bad" though, it's your wedding and y'all can choose whatever day :)
  • I don't understand. Are you planning to make your wedding on Thanksgiving and ask these family members to do something different from their usual church dinner or are you trying to take a church dinner that other people plan and pay for and high jack it to make it your wedding?

This. Are you planning on footing the bill for the dinner(reception) or just hijacking on someone else's dinner? For me, Thanksgiving is time spent with my in laws, and watching football, especially when The Packers are playing The Lions. It would have to be an awesomely hosted wedding for me to give up dinner with my in laws and football. If I found out that the couple was hijacking someone's Thanksgiving dinner for their reception, which you have to have as a thank you to your guests for coming, I would decline and reconsider my friendship/relationship with them.

I say this as someone who attended an awesomely hosted wedding on July 4th. It had amazing food, gourmet cheeses, mini brats, tirmasu, cheesecake, an open bar and it was on a boat with 4 different firework shows. Holidays are usually reserved for family, unless it is close friends, local and I know I will be properly hosted.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • I don't like the idea of taking an "everyone" event and making it an "us" event. Thanksgiving is a holiday about family, don't hijack it and make it a day about you. 

If people are from out of town and always travel to your home town for Thanksgiving anyway, AND you are not planning on inviting any other guests who are not likely in your hometown for Thanksgiving, then I think it would be fine to have your wedding on that Saturday after Thanksgiving. 

If travel is not an issue, I would do it a few weeks before or after, or at a different time of year. 
  • I'm actually having my wedding the Saturday after Thanksgiving. This way, I figure, is the best of both worlds - it's close enough to the holiday that out of town guests can stay a couple days later or guests traveling to family will have time to come back (or not come if its too far away), but it still leaves the actual holiday and day after free for guests to enjoy the time with their family.

It also helps my bridal party on black friday because most have off of work and don't have to worry about taking off early to travel down for the rehearsal.

• I'm doing the same. While Saturday is the most popular wedding day I actually got a discount because this weekend is in such low demand. Saved $1000! Plus, like you, family will already be in town and they can still enjoy thanksgiving and black Friday and most of them have the day off.
  • We're planning on getting married the Sat after Thanksgiving because my sister (the only immediate family member who lives out of area) will be coming here. Since my other sister is married and has 3 houses to split the 3 holdiays between (his dad's Jewish), having it on a weekend works well, and for those extended members who might be traveling can leave on Sunday. Luckily FI's family is all single and lives in the area. I also have a court order to work around and Thanksgiving is my holiday this year.
  • We're the Saturday before Thanksgiving. We wanted to keep the holiday weekend open so people can visit their other family not at the wedding. Although family will be together anyway, we didn't want to force everyone to get together that weekend if it's a tradition to be with other family members then.
  • We are the Friday after Thanksgiving.  We figured family would already be in town and most of our guests are teachers, as am I, and we already have the 4 day weekend.  My immediate family that is flying in from Mississippi is staying at the hotel near the venue and we are going to have Thanksgiving there at their nice restaurant that way my mom doesn't have to cook the day before I get married.  Talk about stress on her!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards