Chit Chat

Thanksgiving retail shopping.

2»

Re: Thanksgiving retail shopping.

• I don't like stores being open on Thanksgiving, but I think it's sort of funny that people are so up in arms about it this year. I worked retail 6 or 7 years ago and had to go in at 6:30 am on Thanksgiving. The store opened at 7 with crazy sales and people were lined up before I got there at 6:30. People are so mad and vocal about it this year, but it's been going on for awhile.
  • I am a manager in a major retail company. We are opening at 8pm in thanksgiving. It sucks big time. I dont care how much the store would make, its a holifay and should remain a holiday. I think the store would make the same amount if we open at 6am on friday like stores used to.
    However, I took the job knowing that there was a possibility I would have to work on thanksgiving. I can deal with it. I feel bad for my younger employees that are upset that they have to work instead of being with there families.
    I saw on the news that there was a pizza hut manager that was fired because he was refusing to open on thanksgiving. I am glad he took a stand but I am sorry that he is jobless.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • See, I love Black Friday. I've done it since I was a kid with my mom and then with my SIL and now with FI. I have worked Black Friday at Lowe's for 3 years. I actually LOVED working black friday. Everything is high paced and everyone is happy. I'd go shop and then go to work for 6-7 am. I'd be all done buying what I wanted and just enjoying the people enjoying black friday.

I will be out shopping on Thanksgiving this year mainly because it is just me and FI. It's something him and I both enjoy so might as well have fun on what would be another Thursday to us. We're only going to walmart on Thanksgiving though. The rest we'll prob go out around midnight
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • For my extended family, we always Adopt-A-Family rather than purchasing each othe gifts. So, it has become a tradition to go out shopping on Black Friday, not for all the electronics and such, but more because you can get pillows, towels, and games for the family for cheap.  Then the whole family meets up and has breakfast together.  Every year, it gets tougher and tougher to justify dealing with the craziness!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going to spend the weekend being thankful for what I already have, not fighting people for more junk that I don't need.

I also have to work Black Friday, but I'm in the medical field and that doesn't stop for any holiday. Falls under the term 'necessary evil'.

• However, I do remember parents punching each other for the last Cabbage Patch dolls like right before Christmas :-P 

My mom had me in June, by Christmas that year, I looked like a Cabbage Patch doll. My mom and sister were out shopping and some lady tried taking me out of the stroller.

I don't mind stores being open. For me, I gave up holidays because I needed to sleep before working Black Friday or I worked at a hotel. Many a holiday was spent at a hotel working a double. My sister works at a hospital lab, and in the past she worked many holidays. My family and my FILs are use to changing the day of celebrating holidays to work around work schedules or people celebrating with the other side if their families.

You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • I've been finding it funny that all I seem to hear is that people are not partaking in the Thursday start times (not only here, but FB, TV news, etc), yet go to any retailer's opening shift and there's a HUGE line. Personally, I'm a cyber Black Friday junkie, esp. since many retailers are offering the same deals online this year.

That being said, I should be heading to bed so I can rest up for my 4am - 10 am Black Friday shift at one of my local stores. I work for a major retailer at the corporate office, but they ask us to work a Black Friday shift to support our stores.
  • http://cheezburger.com/133637 I actually did go out to buy something today (in Canada) because it was basically half price and it was busy out there, but nothing like the malls and Walmarts of 'Murica.
  • Malls in my area on BF were not that bad during the day (maybe insane shoppers are like vampires?) However, I've heard that on Thanksgiving night/Friday morning, there was a stabbing, an officer got shoved to the ground (shover was arrested) and several fistfights broke out. People be all kinds of craziness.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards