Wedding Party
Options

Involving twelve year old sister

Hi knotties!

I read a post that made me wonder about how to involve my twelve year old sister. This is what we've thought of:

- She's wearing a special dress of her choosing. The dress will not be the same colour as the bridesmaids because she doesn't think that charcoal grey is "pretty" lol, but I'm not sure what colour it will be. Basically, I'm making a big deal about her dress (sending her pictures of dresses I like, shopping with her when it's time, etc) because she's really excited but she can essentially choose to wear anything her parents are fine with [it's an unusual family situation, no point in getting into it now]

- Her father will hold the rings until we're all at the ceremony venue, she's holding on to them during the ceremony and bringing them to us when it's time. Surprisingly, she's very excited about having this responsibility. She asks me all types of questions about what kind of box they'll be in, how she'll know when to bring them, etc… It's adorable.

- She will be getting ready with us on the day of the wedding and I'll buy her a gift.

- She may walk down the aisle before the other bridesmaids (but she's not sure she'll want to because people could think she is a flower girl lol, we're waiting until closer to the wedding so she can decide what she wants to do).

This seems like a pretty good way to involve her, but perhaps someone has another idea for us! She's such a sweet little girl and I absolutely adore her. 

Re: Involving twelve year old sister

• Options
    I think all this is great! I don't think you need to do anything more except invite her to you rehearsal and RD (if having) and maybe get her a token thank you gift for being part of the wedding.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    You're already involving her. I'm not sure what else you're looking to have her do.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Hi knotties!

I read a post that made me wonder about how to involve my twelve year old sister. This is what we've thought of:

- She's wearing a special dress of her choosing. The dress will not be the same colour as the bridesmaids because she doesn't think that charcoal grey is "pretty" lol, but I'm not sure what colour it will be. Basically, I'm making a big deal about her dress (sending her pictures of dresses I like, shopping with her when it's time, etc) because she's really excited but she can essentially choose to wear anything her parents are fine with [it's an unusual family situation, no point in getting into it now]

- Her father will hold the rings until we're all at the ceremony venue, she's holding on to them during the ceremony and bringing them to us when it's time. Surprisingly, she's very excited about having this responsibility. She asks me all types of questions about what kind of box they'll be in, how she'll know when to bring them, etc… It's adorable.

- She will be getting ready with us on the day of the wedding and I'll buy her a gift.

- She may walk down the aisle before the other bridesmaids (but she's not sure she'll want to because people could think she is a flower girl lol, we're waiting until closer to the wedding so she can decide what she wants to do).

This seems like a pretty good way to involve her, but perhaps someone has another idea for us! She's such a sweet little girl and I absolutely adore her. 

The flower girl walks after the other bridesmaids and before the bride so if she goes first she would not be mistaken for a flower girl.  To me it sounds like she is a bridesmaid.  She's enthusiastic about what you have come up with for her to do so just leave it at that.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You could always have your sister walk in during the parents procession, so she isn't confused with the FG.
  • Options
    Is all this something she wants to do?
  • Options
    She actually sounds like a Junior Bridesmaid to me with an added responsibility for the rings.  It all sounds so loving and thoughtful to me.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Perhaps surprisingly, yes! At first she asked me about what she should wear (I guess she's seen some wedding shows) and it sort of went from there. We've been taking her lead - we asked her to hold the rings because she asked if she could have a job. 
  • Options
    She actually sounds like a Junior Bridesmaid to me with an added responsibility for the rings.  It all sounds so loving and thoughtful to me.
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Perhaps surprisingly, yes! At first she asked me about what she should wear (I guess she's seen some wedding shows) and it sort of went from there. We've been taking her lead - we asked her to hold the rings because she asked if she could have a job. 
    Cool!  Best wishes.  I hope she enjoys her role in the wedding.
  • Options

I would not call her a Junior Bridesmaid. Just bridesmaid will do fine. I don't know any twelve-year-olds that would ever want to be 'junior' anything. Or to be called 'adorable' per OP. I hope you didn't tell her she's adorable to her face. I'm sure she will be over the moon to be included with the adult women.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards