Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Crazy Stepfather

2»

Re: Crazy Stepfather

• Jen4948 said:
    I'd think it was hilarious.
    But many others wouldn't.

You're not entitled to expect other people to have the same sense of humor as you-particularly about something they put a lot of time, energy, and resources into setting up and executing, only to have some jerk make an ass of himself at their expense.  They don't have to find it "hilarious" because you do-and many won't.
    The younger crowd or guests who are jokers might find this hilarious but say the Mother and Father of the Groom don't and they helped pay for some of the wedding. Like Jen4948 said, the ones who put their time, effort and money into the event probably wouldn't find it funny. They didn't do this to put on a comedy show at the expense of the bride and groom. The couple invited guests to be part of their day & yes as hosts they have etiquette they need to follow but guests have their own etiquette that they need to follow.

I just think those, whether it's family members, guests, bridal party; if they're going to do some kind of joke or make a crack at the couple/parents, whatever, they better know the kind of crowd that they are speaking to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948 said:

You're not entitled to expect other people to have the same sense of humor as you-particularly about something they put a lot of time, energy, and resources into setting up and executing, only to have some jerk make an ass of himself at their expense.  They don't have to find it "hilarious" because you do-and many won't.
    And you're not entitled to expect other people to be as horrified as you are. They don't have to be outraged by it because you are - and many won't.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    WonderRed said:
    Jen4948 said:

And you're not entitled to expect other people to be as horrified as you are. They don't have to be outraged by it because you are - and many won't.
    I never said I expected other people to be "horrified."  I do think it's disrespectful to the couple to keep bringing up a joke at their expense at their wedding, especially if you make clear that you found it "hilarious."  That indicates that you are seeing them as a laughingstock, and outside of clowns and comedians, most people don't appreciate that.  It's not for you to decide that they should.

• Jen4948 said:
    WonderRed said:
    Jen4948 said:

I never said I expected other people to be "horrified."  I do think it's disrespectful to the couple to keep bringing up a joke at their expense at their wedding, especially if you make clear that you found it "hilarious."  That indicates that you are seeing them as a laughingstock, and outside of clowns and comedians, most people don't appreciate that.  It's not for you to decide that they should.
    But apparently it is for you to decide that they should agree with you?
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    WonderRed said:

Jen4948 said:
    WonderRed said:
    Jen4948 said:

What you're not getting, is that it is not for you to decide how anyone should feel about being made a laughingstock either.  That you would find it "hilarious" to be made a big joke on your special day?  You do not get to decide that everyone else should feel the same as you.  It's not up to you to decide how anyone should feel about anything.
  • I believe Jen4948 is speaking as if you were in the bride's place. If your guests kept talking about how someone made you and your new husband the butt of some joke & you didn't like it (as the bride) then the guests should take that into consideration.

If the bride and groom don't say anything and are alright with it, then the guests can go right ahead and keep talking about it. If the couple DID make it known that they did not appreciate the joke/crack at their expense then it's not right for the guests to keep talking about it.

Kudos to the couples who can laugh at it and find enjoyment, for some couples it's a really important moment and it can be hurtful when the people who are nearest and dearest to them at are laughing at their expense. It doesn't happen all the time but for those it has happened or for those who do have family members like this, it sucks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Jen4948 said:
    WonderRed said:

Jen4948 said:
    WonderRed said:
    Jen4948 said:

What you're not getting, is that it is not for you to decide how anyone should feel about being made a laughingstock either.  That you would find it "hilarious" to be made a big joke on your special day?  You do not get to decide that everyone else should feel the same as you.  It's not up to you to decide how anyone should feel about anything.
    Hey @Jen4948 ...OP asked for opinions. This means there will be people who agree and disagree. Not every post that disagrees with you needs to be scolded and told they are wrong. They are expressing how they would decide to handle the issue. I think you are being way overbearing about this and other people's opinions.
  • aefitz29 said:

Jen4948 said:
    WonderRed said:

Jen4948 said:
    WonderRed said:
    Jen4948 said:

Hey @Jen4948 ...OP asked for opinions. This means there will be people who agree and disagree. Not every post that disagrees with you needs to be scolded and told they are wrong. They are expressing how they would decide to handle the issue. I think you are being way overbearing about this and other people's opinions.
    Hey, you don't get to scold me either.  Practice what you preach.
  • I would be very upset if this happened, and this is part of the reason why I am walking by myself down the aisle. I can't trust my dad not to say something stupid/rude/"funny" to my fiance or I, and I just don't want him to talk at all during the ceremony.

• I think it is funny, so I wouldn't have been bothered about it. For me it is the little things like that can make a wedding special. IMO a wedding is a celebration so I wouldn't want something solemn and serious, but that is just me. I think you would have to know the couple to know if that was appropriate or not.
  • jdluvr06 said:
    I think it is funny, so I wouldn't have been bothered about it. For me it is the little things like that can make a wedding special. IMO a wedding is a celebration so I wouldn't want something solemn and serious, but that is just me. I think you would have to know the couple to know if that was appropriate or not.
    You might not have been bothered by it, but for people who are, especially when that's the only thing remembered about their wedding, it really becomes annoying and it turns all the effort they made to make their wedding special and beautiful into a waste of time and money.
  • Jen4948 said:
    jdluvr06 said:
    I think it is funny, so I wouldn't have been bothered about it. For me it is the little things like that can make a wedding special. IMO a wedding is a celebration so I wouldn't want something solemn and serious, but that is just me. I think you would have to know the couple to know if that was appropriate or not.
    You might not have been bothered by it, but for people who are, especially when that's the only thing remembered about their wedding, it really becomes annoying and it turns all the effort they made to make their wedding special and beautiful into a waste of time and money.

The OP asked for opinions on if we would find it funny or not. I gave my opinion. I'm not trying to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't feel over that situation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
  • jdluvr06 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    jdluvr06 said:

The OP asked for opinions on if we would find it funny or not. I gave my opinion. I'm not trying to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't feel over that situation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Did I accuse you of trying to tell anyone what their opinion should be?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards