Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Timing

I tried to search for this, as I am sure it has been discussed before, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Our wedding is just over 1 month away, getting into the smaller details now.

I read on another post that good flow of the reception was appreciated. Wondering when is a good time to have the father/daughter and mother/son dances?  Same with the garter/ bouquet toss. As well, our cake cutting occurs as part of the late night buffet offered by the venue, as they provide the cake cutter and would serve the cake (but we have cupcakes). For this, we need to pick a time and let the venue know (it becomes part of our contract) so they are prepared. I'm thinking of moving this up to a bit earlier in the evening so that if some guests wish to leave earlier they can without feeling like they are missing out. 

At other weddings I've been to, the bouquet and garter toss were later at night. Parent dances varied, and cake cut also later at night a few hours after dinner. 

I don't want to do everything all together, or everything right after dinner, but I don't want the flow to be choppy. 

Ideas? What did or didn't work for you?

Re: Reception Timing

• The way I like reception flows is that once the dancing gets going, it doesn't stop for events.  I like when they get everything done before and during dinner.
  • I prefer when the bride and groom dance after dinner, then the parent dances or whatever other ones, then let the guests dance.  Then, later in the night, you can do the bouquet and garter toss.  As for cake, if it is your only dessert (which is fine) I would cut and serve it right after dinner so the guests can eat it right away.  But, if you are serving something else as the actual dessert, then I would cut the cake later at night as more of a late-night snack.
  • Thanks!

We have a dessert course as part of dinner, then cupcakes for our "wedding cake".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards