Wedding Reception Forum

Flip Flops??

Our wedding is in 5 months (getting super close!) and I have my heart set on flip flops for our favors for the guests for our outdoor wedding. I thought that it would be a snap finding flip flops in bulk for a decent price but instead I have really been struggling. Any ideas where I can purchase at least 200 pairs of flip flops before next May? For a decent price and decent quality? I know that flip flops as favors are quite a fad lately so surely some of you must know where to get some! Thanks in advance!

Re: Flip Flops??

• I wouldn't want to receive flip-flops as a favor.  That said, you might try Googling to see if you can order them in bulk online.
  • Have you tried The Dollar Tree online?
  • I dont know how this has become a fad because I, too, would not want to get flip flops. I think formal attire with flip flops looks terrible. Ive also attended lots of functions in heels and danced the night away without needing the flip flops. Just my opinion though.

Ive found that Amazon and Ebay are excellent for bulk wedding items.

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• Dollartree.com.  But I agree with PPs, I don't love the look.
  • While the look may not be formal, I always end up taking my shoes off to dance. Even if it's flats. This may just be a younger age thing to do, because my parents and older siblings don't take off their shoes. 

I would appreciate flip flops, but it's the normal with my group of girl friends to take them off. Not too much my 30-something brothers.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • In a few months craft stores like Michaels & JoAnn's will have them.  I bought several pairs on clearance in August for $.50 each there.  I believe their normal price is $1-2 each.  They are much nicer than the dollar store ones, IMO.

If you are buying them for everyone, you'll need to overbuy somewhat to accommodate the different foot sizes of your guests so that everyone gets a size they need.  Like all favors, not everyone will take them, but some will probably take more than one (or several).  At an outdoor wedding, they will definitely be appreciated by many of your female guests.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to a wedding that had baskets of them around the dance floor. It is not something I would ever do, but it was a cute idea for her, and some guests definitely used them there, and more guests took some home. 

While obviously some women have always taken their shoes off to dance because the heels were uncomfortable, it's definitely become a major trend in the last decade or so. It seems to me that the younger the girls, and the bigger the gaggle of them, the more likely they are to want to take their shoes off and frolic barefoot on the dance floor while making a big deal out of it. To each her own. I love fashion and style, and just would never wear something that I had to take off halfway through the night. Flip-flops are not an attractive look. Not that they have to be, that's not the point. It's just a safer way to go "barefoot" without the threat of stepping on broken glass. 

Anyway, my friend found a good deal at the craft stores, I think. Drug stores, dollar stores, and even end-of-season-sales at big-box stores (walmart, kmart, etc.) had options as well I think. 
  • I personally wouldnt want flip flops as a favor. But I am okay with having a basket of them near the dance floor in case someone's feet start to hurt.

For my wedding, I bought about 50 pairs on sale at Old Navy, when it was fall and they were phasing out sandals.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Try Michael's or Old Navy. You can also try Ebay. Good luck!
  • muenginerdmuenginerd member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2013

I love when people do this as I hate dancing in heels, but the baskets off to the sides are probably better than doing them as favors.

For other friends weddings we have gotten them through Old Navy.

Another outdoor favor that people loved were sunglasses.  I saw a wedding where people has personalized sunglasses and guests loved them!

• KatWAG said:

I personally wouldnt want flip flops as a favor. But I am okay with having a basket of them near the dance floor in case someone's feet start to hurt.

For my wedding, I bought about 50 pairs on sale at Old Navy, when it was fall and they were phasing out sandals.

This.  I would offer them up to your guests to use if their feet start to hurt but I would not give them as favors.

• At this time of year, you might have to purchase online or contact retailers like Old Navy directly. Maybe Amazon? Personally, I think they're a waste. If I know or think there will be dancing, I will choose my footwear with that in mind. If I don't and my feet start hurting, then it's my fault. I would trust my guests to wear appropriate shoes or handle the consequences.
  • At this time of year, you might have to purchase online or contact retailers like Old Navy directly. Maybe Amazon? Personally, I think they're a waste. If I know or think there will be dancing, I will choose my footwear with that in mind. If I don't and my feet start hurting, then it's my fault. I would trust my guests to wear appropriate shoes or handle the consequences.
  • Old Navy typically has 2/$5 deals and those are probably the best quality you can get for the price. In May or June I know they do $1 flip flops sales. Only 5/person though so bring your friends!   Honestly, I think it is a fine favor. Anybody who goes to a wedding looking for the favor isn't someone I would want sharing in my day. However, I would be careful with that as the only favor because that is really only for the ladies - you won't find any of the guys taking their shoes and socks off to wear the flip flops.  You could supplement it with something smaller (maybe candies or chocolates) as favors that would satisfy everyone.   I went to a wedding where there were baskets of flip flops off to the side and I loved it!! It was a summer wedding and my feet were super sweaty in my shoes and it made for a much more comfy night.  
  • Our wedding is in 5 months (getting super close!) and I have my heart set on flip flops for our favors for the guests for our outdoor wedding. I thought that it would be a snap finding flip flops in bulk for a decent price but instead I have really been struggling. Any ideas where I can purchase at least 200 pairs of flip flops before next May? For a decent price and decent quality? I know that flip flops as favors are quite a fad lately so surely some of you must know where to get some! Thanks in advance!
    Flip flops are not a favor.  If you want to have them, fine, but don't call them a favor.

That said, I hate the flip flop fad at weddings.  As a grown woman, I am quite capable of dressing appropriately for a wedding.  If I have new shoes and I think they might bother me, I always keep a backup pair of flats.  I also find cheap flip flops to be uncomfortable.  I'd skip it and put the money elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards