40-Plus Brides

First wedding at 40... anyone else?

Re: First wedding at 40... anyone else?

• I was 2 1/2 months shy of 40 when I got married (first time). I think it was more magical because I was more mature and knew more what I did or didn't want from a partner. I had gone through enough frogs to appreciate my prince
  • first time for me, not for him, we'll both be 46. November, 2013. I'm so excited. I'm wearing the white dress too. I decided to accept my arms, they're mine, they're healthy and if I don't care no one else should either!  AND I love SATWEST,"Also there will not be the usual removal of the garter especially since I have no interest in harassing my thighs by wearing one."  I'm with you on that one.

We are looking at Sams / Costco for flowers, but might just go to Safeway since they'll do more of the arranging, a skill I don't have.  I have been working with my lovely mom making things for the reception, but it's not going t be super expensive. it's going to be a great party with my family and friends celebrating our love, our family. The rest is just dressing, and I don't need to spend a fortune on that. I'm not competing with anyone. We have fairly simple tastes, and it'll show.

I'm happy to know I'm not the only 40+ first time bride. I like to think that we didn't make any mistakes by marrying the wrong guy before. I know I was engaged before, and knew in my heart it wouldn't work, and glad now, more than ever that I didn't marry the wrong guy. My honey and I talk often about what if we'd met sooner, but at least we're together  now, and we have the rest of our lives.

Happy wedding planning ladies.

• First time for me too and I'll be 42 the week before I get married! Doesn't matter how old you are as long as it's the right time for you.

By the way, can anyone tell me if there is an option for guests to respond online when you create a website?

Thanks!

• First time for us both, by the date of the wedding, we'll both be 42.  I never expected I'd get married, so it was a complete surprise that I found someone.  
  • think that when we are older we are more mature and know ourselves and what we want, I have seen friends get married in their 20's pop a couple kids and then divorced marry again and try  combining families it falls apart and now in there late 30s alone and failed marriages

good for the first timers that are ready to UNDERSTAND what marriage is and not what the WEDDING is.

• First time for me, second for him - both 40+.   I am actually excited because I get to do everything I want with my wedding.   I decided on a Hollywood themed wedding - but the only way to get buy in from him is if I can get the three stooges in there - ok let's be real some men never grow up ;)

• First time for both: he proposed 5 days ago (2 days shy of my 41st birthday) and he's 53. Sometimes I feel like the only member of the female species who hasn't had her wedding planned to the detail since she was a girl! No clue where to start...but trying to take deep breaths. I expect I'll have fun with the details later on, but getting the logistics set (like when & where...minor details) will help. The biggest concern for me is the dress. I despise shopping for clothes and trying things on, so the dress part should be a laugh riot! :) One day at a time, and keeping ourselves happy and calm. Thank goodness for places like this to find and share ideas and reminders. Congrats to all!
  • jf72 - Start by picking out the venue and then the date -along with everything else- will fall into place! Best wished to you!!!
  • jf72 - Start by picking out the venue and then the date -along with everything else- will fall into place! Best wished to you!!!
  • I am 38 today (August baby) and will be a few months shy of 40 when I say I do (May 2015). I'm loving the process at this age. I was once engaged in my early 20's and started planning that wedding and everything was about "the day"!! I spent wwaayy to much money over nothing things. However this time around even though I'm going all out, things that mattered to me then, don't matter to me now so I'm not wasting money. We have adult to teenage children, so our wedding party is our kids, hence no friends or family members will have hurt feelings about not being in the wedding. And omgoodness I found my wedding dress for $200!!! Best deal ever. It is so me and age appropite. I'm in the process of losing weight (health reasons), but I think I'm going to buy it now anyway and of course have it altered. My 1 and only sister died suddenly 2 years ago and I've decided to share my wedding day with her. We will a memory table for deceased family, but her 3 girls will walk down the aisle in honor of her. Her oldest daughter will carry a bouquet of white flowers down the aisle, they will be placed in vase at the alter. And my mother by hand is embordering her name into the train of my dress. This will be such a wonderful day on so many levels and I can't wait!!! Below is a picture of my $200 wedding dress...yay
  • It left off my picture. But here it is.image
  • I just got engaged at 40 and will be 41 when I marry for the first time.  My honey will be 48 but his second time. I too don't think I will be doing the garder toss or bouquet toss... this causes too much anxitey for the one or two single peopl we know.  We're just going to leave that part out .  I'll keep my bouquet and my husband to be will keep my garder... better in my opinion.

I agree with most.. I'm having so much fun planning our wedding day... no pressure... older means wiser!!   

• I'll be 48 by the time I get married for the first (and only) time next spring. My sweetie is a year younger, and he's never been married before, either. We're a pair of late bloomers! I've never been one of those girls who planned her wedding in childhood. In fact, I'm not at all looking forward to planning this wedding. We have a very limited budget, so we'll try to keep it low key--a church wedding with either a picnic or a punch-and-cake reception.

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Robert Fulghum<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• I'm 43 (or will be in a week lol) and while I was married before this will be my first wedding as the ex and I eloped before the baby bump got to big. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time...wedding is 9/13/14 :)
  • I'll be 43 (almost 44) when I walk down that aisle next October for the first time. I am glad that I waited to find the man of my dreams and like most of you here, have a great idea of what's important to me as far as the wedding itself so I'm saving money in a lot of ways. It helps that I'm an event planner too. Easier to be creative. I tried on a bunch of pretty strapless dresses that looked pretty but just weren't quite right. Then I found THE dress!!! Wasn't even planning to buy anything that day. Just fell in love. Pretty, age appropriate and a little sexy. Good luck to all of us amazing, over 40 brides!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am a 44 yo young, and this will be my first and his second. I do wedding planning and coordinating as a hobby. This will be my first and his second. I want a large wedding and he wants a small one. Both of our families are large and we are very close to them.

Very good on budgeting, since all my vendors are within the family.

How can I make this great for the both.

• I will be 50 and he will be 55 before we get merried. And it is first time for both of us. Realy late bloomers! We are planning it for June. And that is all we did til now. Not realy stressing about planning. Yet. I have my 50th birthday in December, so I have this party on my mind, the wedding comes after. Thinking a bit of the dress, browsing on internet, but don't like anything. So I will probably sew it myself. And it will be in colour! Think of red. And sleves! Obligatory!!!

As many of the other brides said, we are taking it easy and step by step. Actualy, making very small steps!

Congrats to all of you, 40+ brides! And those close to 40!
  • I will be 41 and FI 43 when we get married next year First marriage for both of us
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • thedivavthedivav member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2013
    get a toss bouquet to toss out yo the women I am making a bling bouquet for myself The toss one will be inexpensive and silk flowers
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got my dress at David's - married in 2010 and those people made me crazy. had I not already fallen in love with a dress I had seen online that was a David's exclusive, I would have left there and happily paid twice as much. This would not have been an appropriate way to treat you if you HAD been a MOB pre-shopping.
  • Congrats on your upcoming day. I will be 41 for our wedding in May, first and last for my fiancee and I. We are not throwing the bouquet either. Instead we are doing a dance where we ask all married couples to join the bride and groom in the dance floor. Then the dj asks all those married under 1 yr to leave the dance floor (except the bride nad grrom they stay until the end), then anyone married under 5 yrs, then under 10, then under 20, then under 30, then under 40, then he usualy starts calling out single digits, 41yrs, 42 yrs, 43yrs...etc. The last couple left finishes the dance with the bride and groom dancing next to them, and a bouquet and garter are given to them.
  • I will be 42 when we marry in November this year its a first for both of us and we are the last kids of both families to get married. Like some others finding the long sleeve gowns have been a nightmare, what I have found is that although most gowns are shown sleeveless most boutique or stores will add sleeves to most of the dresses for a fee and during the alteration time. Luckily I have a very talented mother that will be adding mine to my otherwise perfect dress for me. :) And yes I am getting my white dress and as my MH has said "youve earned it" ;)

• I am 40 and find that doing it all is overwhelmingly wonderful!  My parents are thrilled as is the rest of  my family.  I am going for traditional with a slight twist.  No garter, no throwing bouquet, and I still did engagement pictures (my profile pic is one of them!)

The task I find the most challenging is the music playlist.  I love to dance, but want to consider the young crowd and respect the older generations as well.  With ages ranging between 18-85 this should get interesting.

We are getting married June 28, 2014!  Best to you
  • I will be 47 when we get married next May, and FI will be 56 (my first and his second)
  •     I will be 45 when we get married, exactly 45 as my Birthday seems to be the day that works best for everyone and myself and my Fi are cool with it! We are doing an immediate family only wedding at Disneyland Resort in October. I pay them money, hire a photographer and show up in the dress, they take care of everything else, LOL. 
  • If you love the simple elegance of Grace Kelly's wedding dress, you should visit the Rosa Clara website. She designs gowns for us "more mature" brides who know what we want. Simply. Gorgeous.
  • Yep I am getting married next year and I will be 43 by then. First marriage. My fiance and I have been together for 8 years. I don't care about my crow's feet I'm just happy that I found my match and we are ready to "make it official"
  • I got engaged this past October at age 46, and will be 47 when I tie the knot in October 2014. I've never been married before. I'm really excited about it all, as is my 88 year old father (I'm his baby girl, youngest of 4 girls) - he's having fun choosing our D-D-D (Daddy-Daughter-Dance), his latest suggestion being a Charleston! I'm enjoying all the planning (one of my fortes). My biggest issue is the guest list. The venue for our reception can only accommodate 150 people. Family alone we can expect up to 81 guests, so we need to restrict our list of friends & colleagues to 60 guests between the two of us! As an older couple we've met a lot of people and made a lot of friends over the years.Where to draw the line?!  Apart from that, I'm having oodles of fun. My venues are booked, as are the caterer, florist, photographer, officiant ... this week I'm going cake tasting! Yum!
  • So true, my first marriage at 50+. I have a 26 yo daughter but never married.  I met the man of my dreams, after 20 years of looking and now I can do whatever I want to with this wedding, not having to worry about money like I would have had to at 25.    Very freeing.  Very excited about it all.
    We had our dream wedding in Las Vegas - 11.29.2014
  • I will be 41 for my May 2015 wedding and my FI will be 45. First marriage for both of us. I'm the oldest in my family and my FI is the youngest of 4 boys. We are finding the playlist the tricky piece; besides he and I having very different taste in music (his rock/metal to my chicago house/freestyle) we will have a huge age range gap at the reception.

He wants to do the garter toss. I'm not too keen on the bouquet toss, if i do it, i'm going to have loose roses so everybody gets something.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards