Snarky Brides

The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

• I agree with the above poster that stylistic stuff doesn't bother me that much. What DOES drive me nuts on Pinterest, however is: 

- super young girls who have amassed thousands of ideas for their "future wedding" before they can even legally get married. I guess most of us thought about what we'd like "one day", but Pinterest enables all sorts of unhealthy obsessing.

-  pinning a ton of contrived "must have" pics.  I can't imagine the day of my wedding wanting to stand there for hours while the photographer precisely places one of our rings in the foreground so he can get us in the middle of it kissing in the background. *huge eye roll*

-  4+ carat rings with tags like "so simple and dainty! Some day ... " (generally pinned by the demographic in #1)

- lists of ridiculous bridesmaid duties. ("Have one of your bridesmaids carry a tray of bottled beer to the groomsmen before the ceremony!") Ain't no one got time for that 

-3D wedding "nail art" 

So many things make me ragey on Pinterest, but that's all I've got for now. 

LOVE

• Kelcita21 said:
    I've been on Pinterest a lot longer that I would like to admit. Really popular picture is to copy the Bridesmaid movie pic. It is everywhere. I don't understand it....

ETA had to laugh when I saw that the bottom picture has the 2nd girl to the left putting her leg up against an imaginary wall. Grass and heels...I'd tip over too fast for the photographer to take a pic! That take skillFun Bridesmaids pic!
    That copycat photo looks terrible. Plus I feel really bad for the girl on the left. Can you imagine when they were assigning "roles" for each bridesmaid? Oh you're the biggest girl, so you're the "fat one!"
    That's really a great way to make your friend feel good about themselves.
  • CaliMel11 said:

Kelcita21 said:
    I've been on Pinterest a lot longer that I would like to admit. Really popular picture is to copy the Bridesmaid movie pic. It is everywhere. I don't understand it....

ETA had to laugh when I saw that the bottom picture has the 2nd girl to the left putting her leg up against an imaginary wall. Grass and heels...I'd tip over too fast for the photographer to take a pic! That take skillFun Bridesmaids pic!
    That copycat photo looks terrible. Plus I feel really bad for the girl on the left. Can you imagine when they were assigning "roles" for each bridesmaid? Oh you're the biggest girl, so you're the "fat one!"
    That's really a great way to make your friend feel good about themselves.
    That's pretty much what you're saying .....unless you're really good with words - "Oh your personality is like the character's in the movie, you're her" - Not sure if that would work but that's all I can come up with haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2013
    CLI242009 I completely agree!

Ugh, here's one I actually found on facebook but thought I'd share it here, because I have seen this one on Pinterest dozens of times. I find it so annoying and ridiculous. Some guys aren't outwardly emotional. I highly doubt I will even shed a single tear on my wedding day. That's just not me. If someone truly thinks this, your husband will definitely be crying. But he'll be crying because he can't believed he's marrying someone who actually thinks this is cute or acceptable to think.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Let us not forget the photo that every couple needs to frame in their home 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Kelcita21 said:
    Let us not forget the photo that every couple needs to frame in their home 
    Ugh, that picture is the worst. 
  • Kelcita21 said:
    Agreed!! Why on earth would you want to imply that you aren't thrilled to be marrying each other?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • My pet peeve is definitely the GIGANTIC engagement ring. Thanks for keeping women realistic and setting men up to fail, fake pinterest brides! You are TOTES awesome!
  • I just saw this one and my jaw DROPPED. Um, what? The only thing the bridesmaids are required to do is show up in the dress on the day of the wedding.

• I just saw this one and my jaw DROPPED. Um, what? The only thing the bridesmaids are required to do is show up in the dress on the day of the wedding.

I would maybe give that to my MOH as a joke, because she knows I don't expect that of her. But... yeesh.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I dislike things that take DIY to the extreme like Polaroid wedding cake toppers, I just thing it makes it look like you forgot and pulled a solution out of your butt.
  • Mason Jars are amazing ( I'm from the South, we use them for EVERYTHING!)
    Suspenders and bow ties add a laid back feel to everything
    Burlap and lace can be really nice when done right. Let's make new meanings for burlap, happy ones. 
    Trends come and go, but I'm keepin' my jars. Have a nice day ya'll :) 
  • Some brides are just. . . snoody like that. 
  • I'm using mason jars for my center pieces. I honestly didn't realize it was a trend until someone told me about it after I had decided to use them. They are pretty blue tinted ones that my great grandmother gave me and we are going to put candles in them. Inkdancer has a point though, it really depends on the type of wedding you're having. Our wedding is going to be very casual and outdoors so it works for that. However if I was having a fancy formal wedding I wouldn't be using the mason jars.
  • My pet peeve is definitely the GIGANTIC engagement ring. Thanks for keeping women realistic and setting men up to fail, fake pinterest brides! You are TOTES awesome!
    Oh like this gargantuan thing?  The caption of it read "My dream ring" yeah ok, single 16 year old, have fun hunting down a Rockefeller.  I'm sure there's one at your high school.  Thing looks like an overpriced ring pop.  image
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    jdluvr06 said:
    I'm using mason jars for my center pieces. I honestly didn't realize it was a trend until someone told me about it after I had decided to use them. They are pretty blue tinted ones that my great grandmother gave me and we are going to put candles in them. Inkdancer has a point though, it really depends on the type of wedding you're having. Our wedding is going to be very casual and outdoors so it works for that. However if I was having a fancy formal wedding I wouldn't be using the mason jars.
    I am having blue ones as well but our wedding is more on the casual/simple side. I chose them as I help my mom and grandmother can pickles, jams, jellies, and preservatives. Mason jars have been a household kept item in my family throughout the years. My mom found some pretty silver trim to put around the tops to give a little sparkle as we are going float candles in them. There will be one in the center with simple flowers.

No burlap and lace or barn here though! Just pretty blue glass mason jars. Then we can reuse them instead of having a ton of vases to get rid of which makes it easier. It is more of a huge nod to my grandma and mom. Wish the mason jars hadn't become part of this 'rustic' or 'country chic' trend. I don't even know what 'country chic' means.

• jdluvr06 said:
    I'm using mason jars for my center pieces. I honestly didn't realize it was a trend until someone told me about it after I had decided to use them. They are pretty blue tinted ones that my great grandmother gave me and we are going to put candles in them. Inkdancer has a point though, it really depends on the type of wedding you're having. Our wedding is going to be very casual and outdoors so it works for that. However if I was having a fancy formal wedding I wouldn't be using the mason jars.
    I am having blue ones as well but our wedding is more on the casual/simple side. I chose them as I help my mom and grandmother can pickles, jams, jellies, and preservatives. Mason jars have been a household kept item in my family throughout the years. My mom found some pretty silver trim to put around the tops to give a little sparkle as we are going float candles in them. There will be one in the center with simple flowers.

No burlap and lace or barn here though! Just pretty blue glass mason jars. Then we can reuse them instead of having a ton of vases to get rid of which makes it easier. It is more of a huge nod to my grandma and mom. Wish the mason jars hadn't become part of this 'rustic' or 'country chic' trend. I don't even know what 'country chic' means.

No burlap and lace for me either. Lol. There will be a barn... We are getting married on my uncle's horse farm, but we aren't getting married in it and won't be anywhere near it because we don't want to spook the horses but it will be some where on the property.
  • Inkdancer said:
    Mason Jars are amazing ( I'm from the South, we use them for EVERYTHING!)
    Suspenders and bow ties add a laid back feel to everything
    Burlap and lace can be really nice when done right. Let's make new meanings for burlap, happy ones. 
    Trends come and go, but I'm keepin' my jars. Have a nice day ya'll :) 
    As a Southern girl, I don't have a problem with Mason jars in and of themselves. Heck, I drink out of them pretty much every day.

The real issue is when they become a trend that gets incorporated where it doesn't belong. Why would a bride in a $10,000 gown want to put her $150 bouquets in Mason jars instead of nice vases? Why have your FI rent a very nice tux and then ask him to sit at a table covered in burlap? It just doesn't match, and lots of people are too worried about being trendy to think about whether things actually look nice together.

But if you're having a backyard BBQ for your reception, you go on and drink your sweet tea and moonshine out of mason jars.
    YES. THIS. THANK YOU. It's the bizarre combination where burlap is cool no matter the occasion. I've been to fancy church weddings with burlap tablecloths. It's like, WTF. 

Also annoys me when people who have never been in a barn get married in a barn. Like it's one thing if you actually grew up in a farm, but come on.
  • CLI242009CLI242009 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    CLI242009 I completely agree!

Ugh, here's one I actually found on facebook but thought I'd share it here, because I have seen this one on Pinterest dozens of times. I find it so annoying and ridiculous. Some guys aren't outwardly emotional. I highly doubt I will even shed a single tear on my wedding day. That's just not me. If someone truly thinks this, your husband will definitely be crying. But he'll be crying because he can't believed he's marrying someone who actually thinks this is cute or acceptable to think.

Wow...Just wow....that is completely horrible! I mean emotional doesn't always mean "cry". My FI's brother got married last July. He didn't cry when she was walking down the aisle to him but you could see on his face that he was getting very emotional. *shakes head*

I know that can also be used for sarcasm or as a joke but if you take it seriously, something is wrong with you >.>

HaileyDancingbear - HAHAHA it does. The ring does look like a sparkling, big ring pop xD

CaitlinGriffin - the Polaroid wedding cake toppers? I've never seen this before but I'm guessing it's just a picture of the couple as the cake topper?.....if I'm imagining this correctly yeah it does sound like you just forgot and thought of something quickly. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Inkdancer said:
    Kelcita21 said:
    Agreed!! Why on earth would you want to imply that you aren't thrilled to be marrying each other?
    THIS!!!! I hate all the photo poses, cake toppers, cards, etc. that are basically joking about how you are not happy to be marrying each other. Or for the guys "he's losing his freedom now" kind of things. Hate them all >.<!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MadHops21MadHops21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2013
    How about the camo trend?
    Cute!

ETA pic was URL for some reason
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • CLI242009 I completely agree!

OMG I can't handle this one. I was the opposite! I was so afraid that hubby was going to bawl! He acts like a tough guy but is so emotional - especially when it comes to me. He always cries at weddings and he would always say it was because he was picturing me and our wedding day. So months before the wedding we listened to my bridal processional (that he picked) to help "desensatize" us to the song lol. Jokingly I said "if you have to cry - please just a single tear" and best part - I got the single tear from him!!! He said he did it on purpose but I think he just did a good job holding it together! 

Anniversary
  • Kelcita21 said:
    How about the camo trend?
    Cute!

ETA pic was URL for some reason
    The camo can work for some couples. If they are into hunting and wilderness, etc it can and sometimes does work for them. For me personally I don't see it for my wedding but that is just my opinion.

For it to be a trend though is where I'm kind of confused about. I didn't realize so many people liked hunting and camo! lol

bubblegum1309 - That is so so sweet!!! ^_^
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2013
    CLI242009 said:

CaitlinGriffin - the Polaroid wedding cake toppers? I've never seen this before but I'm guessing it's just a picture of the couple as the cake topper?.....if I'm imagining this correctly yeah it does sound like you just forgot and thought of something quickly. 

that is exactly what it is you pictured rightimage

The girl who pinned this captioned it with "6 RULES. I am dead serious about this. My friends better help him hahaha"  yeah, they better help him run while he can.  Would she look around for a hidden photographer, and start bitching when she didn't find one?  Or give the ring back because there was a chip in her nails?
    Hopefully the guy runs while he still can. I'm so tired of entitled people with crap like this. A photographer? Really? Why does everything have to be some huge production now?
  • CLI242009CLI242009 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    CLI242009 said:

that is exactly what it is you pictured rightimage

>.> oh good god that is just frickin horrible!!! It might look cute on a cake maybe for a more relaxed setting. (you know a reception in the backyard that is more like a bbq) other than that it just looks....well yeah you pulled the idea out of your a$$.

HaileyDancingbearCaliMel11 - i can understand wanting pictures but it doesn't exactly have to be a photographer. it could be a friend or something with their ipad. (I'm the sentimental, scrap booking type and I would of LOVED to get a pic of my FI down on one knee proposing in Times Square but I'm still as happy without it.) We just took a pic together and posted it on facebook, showing the ring in the pic.)

This whole big production thing has become a craze lately and I don't think tv and youtube help. Before it was more like you heard something on the news (locally) about it or in wedding magazines. It was more like reading stories, now because of the internet and shows on tv, it feels like this should be the "norm". Which is just wrong.

I don't think they are rules but the only 2 that I always dreamed would happen when I was proposed to was #2 & #4 but that's just me.

This whole nail rule thing is just STUPID!!!!!!

My FI told me that he didn't ask for anyone's advice or help because the first person to see my ring, the first person to know about us getting engaged would be ME - when it happened. >.> I just....I have a headache from all of this @.@
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards