Luxury Weddings

Venue Help!!

So I tried posting on my local board [NYC] but received no responses :(, so I figured I would try here. I am torn between 2 venues! My fiance loves them both as well. The 1st is Studio Square and it is located in Queens, NY. I love that it is not a typical banquet hall, and it has the look and feel I want for my wedding - very New York, modern/chick. I love that it is loft space [it even has this really cool huge loft elevator to take everyone to the event spaces]. I love the NYC skyline views, and the bridal suite is pretty huge. The cons: It is at the higher end of our budget. Also, the rooftop deck which I would love to get married in is an additional cost. We have 48 hours prior to the event to decide if we still want it or not. If we decide to still use it and it rains that day, we would get married indoors, but would still incur the cost of it. The second venue is the Central Park Boathouse which is  - you guessed it - located in Central Park, NY. The venue is gorgeous and has a classic New York, rustic/chic feel [IMHO], which I still adore. It is very Sex and the City, which is one of my favorite shows haha. While it is more traditional in the sense, it is still unique, and it is not a typical banquet hall type venue. We would get married indoors with floor to ceiling windows which overlook the lake. There is outdoor space for guests to mingle, and the outdoor space leads directly to the lake. We can also arrange for gondola rides for our guests [with a gondolier!] as well. Also the location cannot be beat, it is in Manhattan. It is in the lower to mid range of our budget. Cons: It is a bit of a hassle to reach the location since it is in the middle of the park. We can only have 5 vehicle permits to enter - but they provide free trolleys to and from the venue for the guests. They can definitely walk to the location if they'd like, it is not a long walk from the subway, or street. Or they can also take a horse and carriage if they wish. Additionally, we thought the coordinator of the venue was a bit weird/creepy LOL. Nothing major, he just gave us those vibes, but he has been doing this for years and obviously knows what he is doing haha. The bridal suite is pretty tiny, but again, not a big deal as I don't intend to spend my night in there! So I will attempt to attach a few pics below but I have been having some issues with that. I will include links to the google images just in case. I would just love to know what you guys think, and any opinions are welcome! Also, if any of you guys have any information or attended a wedding at either of these venues, I would love some insight! I know this is the international board, but I figure there may be some fellow New Yorkers, or our of town wedding guests or brides on this board. Thanks for listening :)

Links:

Pics:
Studio Square
imageimageimage

Central Park Boathouse
imageimageimage

Anniversary
imageimageimage

Re: Venue Help!!

• What's the parking situation at the place in Queens?
    And what month?
  • They have really different feels. I've been to the boathouse and it's classic and elegant, really uptown. I havent been to studio square, but you're description sounds modern, hip and downtown. So what kind of wedding are you envisioning?

Also, have you inquired about what you'd have to bring in to the loft space? If you'll need a lot of rentals the cost could skyrocket and the coordination will be a major effort. Whereas the boathouse will definitely be more all-inclusive. That would be really important to me (not having to coordinate 10 different vendors).
  • I think they're both lovely but I loved the boat house. I'm pretty into the classic though. I also loved all the photos couples were able to take in the park because they were in the park lol 

I'd agree about checking on rentals though. My venue for instance, I have to bring everything in. Every last thing. And I've had to hire an actual company to help design and coordinate that. It's pricey. 
  • I actually forgot to include some info. Although studio square is loft space, it is actually all inclusive. They include everything (tables, chairs,linens, catering, open bar, even the cake). So the price they charge is per head, like other venues. What makes it pricier is that the nicer larger space requires a 150 count, and renting the rooftop is an additional $15 per person. In terms of parking there, it would be street parking unless we opt for valet for an additional $750. We are looking at a mid May wedding. I also love all the park pictures! I think ultimately I want a New York wedding with modern touches. I like minimal trendy decor, I don't like anything that necessarily screams wedding ( such as chair covers, overly lavish details, etc). I do love the classic though. Maybe classic with a modern twist is right up my alley. Did I mention I am very indecisive? Lol
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I love the boathouse and the idea of being able to take pictures in Central Park, but that's just my personal opinion. The other space is lovely as well. I guess it just depends on what you want for your wedding. 
  • tammym1001 I really love the Boathouse, and pictures in Central Park would be so classic and timeless! The venue itself I think is timeless. I think whenever I think of getting married it is now starting to look like the Boathouse but then Studio Square tugs at me lol. Another thing worth mentioning about Studio Square is that it is a HUGE beer garden. The Event space is separate from it [separate entrance and everything], so it is definitely a different kind of venue, and it would make for a great after party! Although, I say that now [after having my morning coffee, and being all perky on a friday]. The day of the wedding who knows if we will be in the mood for after partying LOL.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2013
    I think Studio Square is a more unique venue and I would go with that.  The Boathouse is nice but kind of cookie cutter. But I also am eschewing all overly classic wedding details for my wedding and doing a modern urban vibe.

You could always do engagement pics in central park or see about doing your rehearsal dinner at the boat house.
  • CrazyCatLady3, yes that is what I love the most about Studio Square, that it is def more unique. I know what you mean about the Boathouse. It is unique in its own way but it is more cookie cutter, especially compared to Studio Square. That's a great suggestion, if I go with Studio Square we can have the rehearsal dinner at the Boathouse!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Also, not sure if you considered this, but guests will not be able to drive into Central Park to park at the Boat House.  They will need to park somewhere else in the city and get a bus or walk into the heart of the park to get there (not sure if cabs are allowed on the drive next to it?)  It's not a huge deal but something to consider if you have a lot of elderly guests.
  • NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Also, not sure if you considered this, but guests will not be able to drive into Central Park to park at the Boat House.  They will need to park somewhere else in the city and get a bus or walk into the heart of the park to get there (not sure if cabs are allowed on the drive next to it?)  It's not a huge deal but something to consider if you have a lot of elderly guests.
    To answer this, I believe taxis can get pretty close to the Boat House.  Also, the Boat House has a shuttle that will pick you up on 5th avenue around 80th street (wherever the park entrance near there is).  Not sure where the closest parking lot is near there.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • I adore the boathouse -- you get the feel of indoors and out, without any added cost, and it's gorgeous. And if they provide trolleys, etc for guests, that could be fun for them, especially if any of them are from out of town! It's a little traditional, but also warm and elegant and can easily reflect your style.

• Yup, there will be trolley's for guests so that is fun and different. I believe we were told the closest parking was around 70th street or so, I forgot what avenue. I think my fiance now is leaning towards the boathouse. Although it is more traditional I think it is still unique and can be customizeable. Hopefully we reach this decision soon!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards