Registry and Gift Forum

Can you believe the gall of peple asking for donations

An old friend of mine was just in a very serious accident (he was literally shot to protect a woman he never met before!) and his family set up an online donation page to help with his medical expenses- I am 100% in favor of this and immediately donated $50.

But while I was on the website, I started perusing to see other's stories...and was shocked to find a whole section dedicated to weddings and honeymoons!! So many people just straight out asking for money- and they don't even have a sad story about job loss or anything! Most of them have professional engagement photos as their profile so they can't exactly be kicking rocks poor!! I am appalled by this, as I'm planning my own wedding right now and would never dream of "begging" for contributions! One girl even went as far as to say "this website takes 5%, so please add 5% to your amount"

Re: Can you believe the gall of peple asking for donations

• It's not because you have a page like that, that people will give money to you. If they do, oh well..!

To the PP, I'm not sure how telling an stranger she's a asshole could possibly be considered less rude than having a page on this website.

• It never hurts to ask right?
    Really?

Of course it can.  Something like this can change the way people think of you and maybe even have them reconsider their friendship with you.  I would certainly think that "hurts"
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Rebl90Rebl90 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    How terrible for your friend, I hope everything works out for him.

A friend of mine created a donation page because her dog got sick and needed to have surgery, despite the fact that no one in her family had enough money to pay for it.  She posted it all over FB with photos of the dog and the story (he ate something he shouldn't have, which could have been avoided), and explained that she ONLY needs $3,000.....

Thankfully only one person has donated $10, and it's been quite a few months now.  I removed her from my "news feed" on FB after all the begging, and honestly I think so much less of her for expecting her friends and family to help her out. 

Edited: Poor grammar, I need more coffee
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Seriously!! 
    It's not even like an after-the-fact gift giving thing, like oh we threw a great wedding, you can give us a gift at this website. (that would be RUDE enough in itself) But these people are asking for money to initially pay FOR the wedding!! That is so beyond me!! 
  • It's not because you have a page like that, that people will give money to you. If they do, oh well..!

To the PP, I'm not sure how telling an stranger she's a asshole could possibly be considered less rude than having a page on this website.

Seriously?  You can't see how stating the obvious is less rude than this disgusting cash grab?  Really?  
  • What website is this? I haven't heard of anything like that before. I'd be interested to see how many people do actually donate to other people's weddings
  • go fund me.com

There are tons of funds on there that are really legitimate for illness, injuries, charities, but the weddings ones I just thought were nuts!

I hope you're being sarcastic. Someone from college posted one of these for a wedding on my Facebook and I unfriended her.
  • xmobergx said:

go fund me.com

There are tons of funds on there that are really legitimate for illness, injuries, charities, but the weddings ones I just thought were nuts!

There's a whole section for weddings and honeymoons on the front page.  Like nails down a chalkboard!

If I knew someone that was very sick and needed lots of medical treatment, or someone that was working to do charity/missions work, etc - I wouldn't hesitate to give something.  Why do people think that their big party is the responsibility of others (complete strangers, even!) to finance? 

Save until you can afford it, or host what you can afford now.  Why is that so hard?!
  • vt&dt said:
    xmobergx said:

go fund me.com

There's a whole section for weddings and honeymoons on the front page.  Like nails down a chalkboard!

If I knew someone that was very sick and needed lots of medical treatment, or someone that was working to do charity/missions work, etc - I wouldn't hesitate to give something.  Why do people think that their big party is the responsibility of others (complete strangers, even!) to finance? 

Save until you can afford it, or host what you can afford now.  Why is that so hard?!

Couldn't agree more!! But my generation (30 and under) is all gimme gimme gimme! We cut our guest list to 55 because that's what we could afford. My fiance suggested waiting an additional year to afford more people and we decided no because those extra people don't see us or talk to us often at all so it's not worth it. I'm also getting a lot of centerpieces and stuff from friends for cheaper than retail, and I talked down the DJ and Photographer because I never believe in paying full price for anything :)

• Theres a girl on my FB who has one for her hobby that costs 2K a year in dues and I just want to tell her how rude and tacky it is.
    Anniversary
  • Rebl90 said:

A friend of mine created a donation page because her dog got sick and needed to have surgery, despite the fact that no one in her family had enough money to pay for it.  She posted it all over FB with photos of the dog and the story (he ate something he shouldn't have, which could have been avoided), and explained that she ONLY needs $3,000.....

Thankfully only one person has donated $10, and it's been quite a few months now.  I removed her from my "news feed" on FB after all the begging, and honestly I think so much less of her for expecting her friends and family to help her out. 

Do we have the same friend of a friend??? My friend shared one of her page, her friend's dog needed surgery and if we didn't help the dog would die. It was posted like it was literally going to be on our conscience if we didn't pay to save the dog. Sad, but it's a dog. Tell me about your kid needing a life saving surgery and I'll be moved, but not for your dog - sorry :-\
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Unfortunately, they have now come over to the knot to beg for money. Seriously tacky.

• Rebl90 said:

Do we have the same friend of a friend??? My friend shared one of her page, her friend's dog needed surgery and if we didn't help the dog would die. It was posted like it was literally going to be on our conscience if we didn't pay to save the dog. Sad, but it's a dog. Tell me about your kid needing a life saving surgery and I'll be moved, but not for your dog - sorry :-\
    I wouldn't be surprised, it was definitely written to give people a guilt trip!

I'm all for a good cause, but don't get a pet if you don't have the money to take care of it properly (and in an emergency!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Oh it would be totally rude.  But would you rather have one anonymous person tell you that you are an asshole or everyone who knows you thinking it behind your back?

It costs about 50 bucks to get married.  NO ONE'S wedding is a worthy charitable cause.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • OnceUponSnowOnceUponSnow member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    It's not because you have a page like that, that people will give money to you. If they do, oh well..!

Oh it would be totally rude.  But would you rather have one anonymous person tell you that you are an asshole or everyone who knows you thinking it behind your back?

It costs about 50 bucks to get married.  NO ONE'S wedding is a worthy charitable cause.

I'm sorry, but you missed the point. You don't have to be rude and say nasty things, period. You think it's a bad idea ? You feel charitable and want to help this poor girl out ? You tell her it's a bad idea alright, but you do so tactfully. If not, I would assume you're only being mean and insulting, and you shouldn't be giving ''lessons'' about politeness. 
  • OnceUponSnowOnceUponSnow member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    It's not because you have a page like that, that people will give money to you. If they do, oh well..!

Seriously?  You can't see how stating the obvious is less rude than this disgusting cash grab?  Really?  
    You're giving me the ''it's not an insult, it's the truth, and I'm not being rude, I'm being honest'' argument, really ? 

There are polite ways of ''stating the obvious'', and you're just making yourself look bad by being rude to someone (calling her an a$$hole) in an attempt to teach her politeness and good taste. 

I'm sure you can see the irony, as it is obvious as well.

You're giving me the ''it's not an insult, it's the truth, and I'm not being rude, I'm being honest'' argument, really ? 

There are polite ways of ''stating the obvious'', and you're just making yourself look bad by being rude to someone (calling her an a$$hole) in an attempt to teach her politeness and good taste. 

I'm sure you can see the irony, as it is obvious as well.
    No one is calling her an asshole an an attempt to teach her politeness.  If she would go this far, it's obvious that she's a lost cause.

That doesn't change the fact that she is an asshole, and that her actions are disgusting.  I'm honestly surprised that "asshole" is the worst descriptor that came out in response to this.  It may not have been the most polite term, but use of it pales in comparison to the shameless cash grab.   
  • omg I went on the site to see for myself lol. One couple asked "If you are 100% coming to our wedding we ask that you help pay for the food and drinks." I can't!!!!! 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• The couple that mentioned including an extra 5% to cover fees also has the most charming updates

"Thanks to all those who have donated! And for the rest- we still have time!"
    "If you haven't donated, please do so!"
    "Last chance to get in on this! Please make your donations before Thursday (5/31)!!"

And all the updates are "said" by a very angry looking wolf profile pic, I almost donated because I was scared!
  • You know what really cracks me up are that these idiots put such a high price on it. If you are going to beg for money put a low amount so you at least get it! I was dying at the people who had a goal of $10,000…good luck getting that! And when they don't meet the goal they get nothing ---which is what they deserve asking for money! Sooooooo sad!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• There are some people on there who's MOH put it up there for them!  I would be livid if someone did that to me!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There are some people on there who's MOH put it up there for them!  I would be livid if someone did that to me!!
    I wonder how many of them are actually the MOH and how many are the B&G pretending to be the MOH so it looks like they're not being greedy and asking for themselves.
  • There was something about this on the E-boards (i think) a few months ago...a FB friend of the OP had started a go fund me account for her daughter's college education.  One of the poster's friends left a comment offering a part-time job to the daughter to help her earn the money for her education, and the poster said "thanks, but we don't think (daughter) should have to work, we want her to concentrate on school."

Are.  You.  Serious.  If you have a kid, you should plan to either pay for their education yourself, or teach them how to support themselves so that they can pay for it on their own.  If you have a pet, you are responsible for its medical care.  Why are people so insane these days?  My cat just needed bladder stones removed.  It cost us $1200.  We are also paying for our wedding/honeymoon which is happening in 6 months.  Guess what.  We paid for the surgery too.  And if we didn't have the cash laying around for the surgery (which fortunately we did) we would have taken stuff out of the wedding budget to pay for it.  At no time did we even consider asking anyone else for any money.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards