South Carolina-Charleston

Vendor Recommendations or reviews?

Hello! I've looked at this board before and I don't know how many active participants there are, but I'm hoping for at least a few. I'm planning my wedding for April 2014 in Charleston and am just now starting the planning since I just got engaged.  There is so much going on in the Charleston wedding scene, it's almost overwhelming. And a lot of the vendors I contact for more information never get back to me - and email is my best option as I work in an office where cell phones aren't allowed and we have two phones for the whole office that are always being used for work. That being said, I've talked to two caterers (via email), one coordinator/design/floral company in person and meeting with my preferred ceremony musicians tomorrow. (We don't live in Charleston either, so all my in-person meetings will be done on short weekend trips about once a month - not the most ideal situation, but it's about all I can do.)

So I'm looking for recommendations for vendors - florists, day of coordinators, photographers (especially photographers, I haven't gotten anything from any that I've contacted). We have our location reserved and we are doing a small, intimate wedding with a dinner reception (no dancing) after the ceremony at the same location. We're trying to keep the budget tight and small, but don't want the wedding to look or feel cheap.

Who did you talk to that you liked and why? Or who did you just not get that good vibe from? If you already got married - what vendors did you use and how were they? Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time! :-)

Re: Vendor Recommendations or reviews?

• Could you tell me who you HAVE spoken to, maybe via PM if you're not comfortable? I did research for about a year before we hired our planner - but you may want to get a DOC or planner onboard ASAP if you can only be there sporadically...it has helped me SO MUCH.

Let me know! :)
  • I talked to OOH Events for florals and possible day of assistance and am waiting on a proposal from them. For catering, I'm waiting on proposals from B.Gourmet and Royal Grand Events. And for music I've talked to Palmetto Strings. Sor far those are the only vendors that have responded to my requests - and thankfully they all were highly recommended by the event director at my venue. I had a few coordinators say they only do one wedding a week and since I'm so late in the game, they are booked. Off the top of my head, I don't remember who those were.
  • Ooh Events is great, but they are on the upper end of pricing - if that's not an issue, I wouldn't hesitate to go with them. 
    I've heard great things about Michael Winship as well. We met with Southern Chic before deciding to go with Blue Planet Green Events. They all do Day-Of or Week-Of, we really liked Amanda with Southern Chic, she has a great reputation and is very reasonably priced.
    Blue Planet Green Events is going to do our florals too, but I also spoke with Sara York Grimshaw...on a recommendation from someone on here I think, and she was really responsive.

I think that there are definitely ladies on here who can say good things about both of those caterers. We tasted with Hamby and Three Little Birds before we decided on Mosaic. I would say any of those would be good, Mosaic ended up providing what we thought was the best value. They do 2 events per day and said that next October was booking up quickly, but you never know! A few of the catering companies will also help coordinate, so you may want to talk to them about that too.

As far as music goes, maybe try Other Brother Entertainment. They have a lot of different musicians and can probably find you someone, if you decide against Palmetto Strings or think you might need more options.

Hopefully that helps!!
  • 1. Ooh Events is Great! I have heard alot of great things about them.

2. For your flowers you should go with Pretty Petals, they did the flowers for my cousins wedding and they were beautiful! I am using them as well.

3. Photographer- Selador Images (My cousin used Hannah and her pictures were awesome! I think that she has good prices too.)

4. Hair and Makeup- I just had a consultation with a girl named Tiffany. Her email is: BabyFacesSC@roketmail.com. She did a really good job!  Airbrush makeup is the way to go. It covered everything. I didnt have to touch it up at all. I had a few scars and that makeup covered them right up. She is very affordable.

• Wildflowers, INC is who I used for my flowers and I loved them.  Beth is great! 

My photographer was Priscilla Thomas Photography and I loved her.  We will be featured on The Wedding Row December 30th!

Lashes and Lace is who did my makeup and hair and all of my bridesmaids.  Love love love Kacie Faulling!  She is amazing!!! 
  • I'm also getting married in April. I can tell you who I chose for vendors.

Photographer:  Jenna Marie Weddings. I did some digging to find her. She's amazing. I felt at ease with her the moment I met here. Her photos are amazing and her prices are very good. We just got our engagement pictures back and were thrilled with the results.

Flowers:  I'm also using Pretty Petals. She is also a great person to work with, who is very flexible with budgets. She works out of her home in Summerville which keeps costs down. She has a really good eye and her father is even going to build a chuppah (arch) for us to rent for our wedding.

Hair and makeup:  I'm going with Paper Dolls. Carrie McLeod is the owner. She comes to you. She did my hair and makeup for our engagement pictures. I felt great, and got tons of compliments.

Day of Coordinator:  This was another that I had to do some digging. We went with Kristina Diedrick of Shine. I got a really great first impression from her and her prices are very reasonable.

Cake:   DeClare Cakes. She works out of her home on DI. We were going to have our venue make the cake but their baker is on maternity leave during our wedding. They recommended her. This lady knows her cakes. Her cakes taste fabulous and I showed her a cake I found on pinterest and she said she could make it!

We're getting married at Daniel Island club so they are doing the catering. I've lived in Charleston for about 8 years so I didn't need a planner. If you have any other questions feel free to private message me.

-Katrina

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you ladies! You've given me some names I haven't found yet and I've started contacting them. Keep the suggestions coming, if there are any more out there. :-)
  • I am from Charleston, and have seen many, many brides get ripped off money-wise for what they actually received... We got married at The Sanctuary Hall and Gardens. Our florist was Lisa Ferguson (she does AMAZING sweet grass wreaths and other decor besides amazing flowers). Hans at the Crazy Dutchman did the catering and I had guests in the service industry say they hadn't ever had shrimp and grits as good as theirs. My photographer was an amazing man named David Francher. He was there for the rehearsal thru to when we left. Fantastic shots of our day. Lastly, Kristen at Paper Dolls is such a life-saver! My dress had a corseted back and my girls were having a hard time, but she swooped right in and made it look perfect... We didn't have a wedding planner, so all of this research was done by us. And if you are lucky enough to get married at a venue like The Sanctuary, you really don't need one. The event coordinator, Jessica Kirby is present and helpful in a priceless way from day one until you leave the venue. She was amazing with thinking about the littlest details and pulling them off with sheer perfection. It was a PERFECT wedding. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards