Not Engaged Yet

Another First Post/Intro

Hi ladies, I've been lurking for awhile and have finally decided to start posting around a bit, but since everyone seems pretty close knit and to know each other pretty well I figured I should introduce myself first!

Screen Name: YourDogDontKnowSit
Significant Other's Age: 26
What You Do: I teach second grade and I go to school full-time
What SO Does: He's a PhD candidate 
State of Relationship: Living in sin
How Long You've Been Together: 1.5 years
How You Met: OkCupid
Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): We're not engaged
Real Babies: None
Fur Babies: Two boxers, Bella and Jake (not named after Twilight) who I brought into the relationship, but I'm pretty sure their loyalties are questionable at this point. image and image
Loves: My dogs, working with kids, horses/horseback riding, swimming and being around the water in general, reading and audio books, running, TV shows but not particularly movies, sushi, being disgustingly lazy on weekends, county music, etc.
Hates: Working out/going to the gym other than running, watching movies, the way that it is literally impossible for every piece of laundry to be clean at the same time
Pet Peeves: People that are incredibly loud/draw attention to themselves particularly when they're with me, slow drivers, a long list of things my students do such as making noise when they raise their hand ("ah ah ahh" or "me meme")
Hobbies/Activities: Horseback riding, swimming, running, reading
Favorite Thing About Your SO: We align nearly identically morally, he's just a genuinely good person
Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: He's terrible with time - if he says he'll be an hour, he'll be two. We're always running late and I'm super anxious about being on time (among other things)
Describe Your Personality: People's first impression of me is that I'm very quiet. I don't like to talk just for the heck of it, but when I'm comfortable in a situation/around people I'm much more conversational. I'm a weird mix of awkward/shy/anxious and judgmental (not something I'm necessarily proud of) all the time. I'm constantly worrying or stressing about something, but I chalk that up to the fact that I work 40 hours a week and go to school full time as well. I get along better with animals and kids than I do most grown adults because most grown adults can't appreciate sarcasm like I do.
Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]): Internally an 11, but I generally try to reign it in and operate on a friendly 7 or 8
I've Been On TK Since: Spring 2013
How You Came to Be On TK: I was MOH in my BFF's wedding and helping her plan
How I like my potatoes: Every possible way (just not sweet)
Favorite book/author: The Harry Potter series, but in general I'm a Chick Lit fan
Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: I chose and hated 3 different majors before finally realizing I wanted to teach for the rest of my life, I was already teaching preschool which helped me make the final decision

Re: Another First Post/Intro

• I love your doggies!

What are you going to school for? How's the holiday season treating you? Seen any good movies lately?
  • Welcome! You mentioned you're in school full-time as well as teaching - are you going for your master's?
  • @Youdontknowsit and @Keptinstitches I wondered the same thing.  When I was in school full time, I wouldn't have been certified to teach yet?  But I guess technically I was in school full time in graduate school and if I didn't did research, then I might have time to teach.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @amapola14 Thanks! I think they're the best (but I'm bias). 

The holidays are going well so far, we're doing Secret Santa at work so I've gotten a few early gifts. I'm not a movie watcher, for some reason I just can't get in to them - I prefer TV shows. That said, I did see Catching Fire in theaters and liked it and my BF has been forcing me to watch The Mask of Zorro because I've never seen it and he's a huge movie buff unlike myself. So far we've tried watching it the last 3 nights before I fell asleep!

@keptinstitches I'm actually still working on my Bachelor's, I'm really behind considering all of my major changes, but I'll finish one day. I work at a private school right now that doesn't require a degree to teach. 
  • I love that your relationship status is living in sin. 

Can I ask what state you live in? I also have a teaching degree, even though I'm not in a school. 

Your dogs are adorable! I'm assuming you got them before Twilight became a huge thing?
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • @TwoDimes Oh god I could (and probably should) write whole books on the things they say! Most recently we were in the cafeteria and students take turns washing the tables after lunch. One little boy put the wash rag on his head/over his face (disgusting!!) and I said "Bobby (name subbed) you're fired!", he looked at me with the angriest face and told me "You can't fire me, I quit!" and I told him it was too late to quit, but by that point I was cracking up laughing too much to really say anything.

Oh! And the other day I was "racing" one of the students back to line and another student said "Wow! Mrs. YourDogDontKnowSit, you know how to run? You must have learned back when you were a young girl back in 1961." (I was born in 1990)
  • @audrewuh I'm in NC, probably the worst of the worst states for teaching. At a walk-in for education meeting I learned that 35% of teachers in NC last year left to teach in another state, 35% of NC teachers retired and 13-15% of teachers in NC just quit teaching altogether.

I rescued Bella and she was four so I figured she could keep the name and it was before Twilight was really huge. I named Jake without thinking about it, but it was the only thing that seemed to suit him - he was nameless for a few weeks.
  • Don't worry, Texas is ranked 48th in education, right above Louisiana and Mississippi. You're safe in NC. A lot of Texas teachers are highly sought after in other states because we have some of the toughest teaching standards, but we suck at keeping good teachers in the classroom because the pay is shit and our government fucks over teachers every two years. 

Awww, well they're adorable and seem perfect for each other. :) 

@twodimes, one of my student's little sister is 8. She asked if I had a boyfriend and I told her I was married. Her jaw dropped open and she looked at her mom and said "she can't be married! she's only 17!" We all laughed and I said thank you. 

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • @audrewuh and @twodimes I used to work at a preschool too, so some of my most hilarious stories come from that. Kids really do say the darndest things! And kind of in the same vein as your story, audrewuh, when I was working at the preschool one of the little girls was sitting with me and asked if I had a boyfriend. I said no (this was before my current BF and fairly close to my breakup with my last serious BF before him) and asked if I had a husband and, again, I said no. She gets a sad look on her face, shakes her head totally seriously, and goes, "so you're just going to be alone forever?"
  • Bwahahaha! Kids are sooooo weird! Their concrete thinking gives them so many opportunities to destroy your self confidence. 

• Hi!

Your dogs are so cute! I love the stories you told about your students. I was giggling while reading :)

What were the 3 majors you tried and hated before teaching?
    Do you like cats?
    What are some TV shows you like?

• Yay! Another horseback rider! 

What kind of riding do you do? How long have you been riding? Do you compete or is it more of a hobby?

Also, what Hogwarts house would you be in? What would your patronus be?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @swazzle There are new ones daily, so I'll keep y'all updated! Their comments are the best part of my job.

Originally I started going to school for equine business, but I quickly realized I would rather have horses as something I love rather than something I HAVE to do. Then I switched to straight business for lack of a better idea. The closest I got to finishing was an associate's in nursing, but after clinicals I knew I could never do it so I went back to a four year school (online) for education and its a perfect fit!

Some of my favorite tv shows are HIMYM, Friends, Lost, Dexter, Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy but I have trouble actually watching tv so I'm not done with the last 3. And I'm a dog person, but my BF loves cats (he'd never been around a dog before meeting mine), so our next pet will likely be a cat.

@Foxandbunny I grew up showing hunters, mostly pony hunters because I'm semi short and love the little bastards, but I did some children's as well. I haven't ridden in awhile because of finances, unfortunately, but one day I'll get back into it! What do you ride?

I'd probably be on the edge of Ravenclaw and Slytherin, probably Ravenclaw because I'm more mean than evil and I'm definitely not brave enough for Gryffindor. My patronus would have to be a boxer!
  • @YourDogDontKnowSit - I was a business major and now I'm in finance. Bleh. 

How much of Dexter have you seen? Curious if you've watched my favorite season yet. I'm about to start the 3rd season of Breaking Bad now. I didn't watch it while it was on TV but since everyone was so obsessed with it, I decided to give it a try. It's good but I'm not insanely impressed yet. I'm told that'll change. 

YAY for your BF loving cats! I have two (and a dog as well) but I'd have more if H would let me. 

• @Swazzle I've seen up through season 4 (I think it is), with the trinity killer. Thats been my favorite season so far. I've seen the first season and a half or so of Breaking Bad and enjoyed it, but it was so long ago that I'd have to start from scratch if I wanted to keep watching and I don't know if I have the ambition for that right now...
  • @yourdogdontknowsit I love your dog pictures!!! What's your favorite winter activity? If you say drinking, that's okay, it's my favorite too. Who's your favorite poster? What is your dream vacation spot?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @yourdogdontknowsit I love that username. Welcome!
  • @yourdogdontknowsit - YES! Trinity is my all-time fave. John Lithgow is SO creepy I can hardly stand it. 

• Hi and welcome! The dogs are so cute!!

Anniversary

• I LOVE boxers, so your dogs are AWESOME. 

My sister is a kindergarten teacher (actually, she moved to second grade this year, I just remembered) and she has told me some AMAZING stories. My mom babysits our neighbor's kids, and they are a hoot. 

I went home to visit, and I had pulled a muscle in my back taking out the garbage. A (she's in first grade now) asked me how I hurt it, and when I told her she said "Why doesn't your husband take out the garbage?" I said "Well, I don't have a husband." She sighed, shook her head, and said "You need a husband."

Thanks, kid. I'm doin' the best I can.

Welcome!

*******************************************************************************************

• I love your dogs!! They looks so sweet. 

I have never had much experience with children, no one in my family/friend circle has had children yet and the youngest family member is 15 (hardly a child, even if young). My boyfriend, though, has a plethora of young nieces and nephews so suddenly I am surrounded with 5-10 year old kids! Quite the change for me, but I'm starting to enjoy it :)

Kids do say the funniest things!
  • @buddysmom80 I can't choose a favorite poster, but from lurking I always love reading @brisox81 comments because she can be as snarky as I'd like to be :-P My favorite winter activity is some combination of drinking and hibernating (or at least sleeping all hours that I'm not working) and my ideal vacation includes drinking and hibernating (but on the beach) so my dream vacation spot is somewhere in the Caribbean or something - anywhere that's hot and sunny! I'm not someone who enjoys exploring or sight seeing on vacation. 

tuarceatha and @peaseblossom55 Thank you!

@swazzle HE IS! I'm trying to convince my BF to watch it but he just can't get in to the first season - really I just want him to experience the horror of Arthur because John Lithgow pulls it off SO well.

@brisox81 Thanks, boxers are the best! And I'm dying over that story - children really do have a way of kicking you where it hurts without even knowing it. And Kindergarten is my dream grade to teach.

@mbross3 They look sweet but they can be evil when they want to be! Do you like the older or the younger kids? 5 year olds are so hilarious but 8-10 year olds are just evil to me
  • I want to have a dog so badly! We currently live in a pet-free apartment though. We decided to wait until after I finish law school and we're more settled. 

I think I'm with you! The 5 year old is so cute and enjoys everything! We read books and make cupcakes and watch movies, she has all the energy. The 7-10 (there are 3!) are a mix. The older two are getting to the point of being "too cool" to hang out with us old folk --I thought they'd wait until they were teenagers at least! They've always got their headphones on and it's pretty clear they just want us adults because we feed them. Ahh well! 
  • Love your dogs!!  I've got 2 dogs myself (and 2 cats, and 1 guinea pig, and 2 fish. . . ) - I must say, I love my 4-legged friends more than I like most people.

I'm afraid of kids - so you're much braver than I am!!  I just think I'd be a bad influence or I might hurt them (however kids seem to smell my fear and gravitate to me and I become their best friend, it's quite odd).

Anniversary
  • @yourdogdontknowsit - Stick around, I'll tutor you in my snarky ways :) Also, our dogs should be best friends. 

*******************************************************************************************

• Welcome to the nut house.
  • @YourDogDontKnowSit Hi and welcome! Your dogs are so cute!
  • @Dignity100 you have a whole zoo! I'm jealous. We want to get fish and a cat/cats eventually, but the fish will likely happen first. My older dog doesn't get on with cats so none for us in her lifetime. I used to not like kids either, but I think they sniffed me out and turned me to their side - they're good at that!

@Brisox81 I think I'll make a pretty good student ;-) what kind of dog do you have?

@Loves2shop4shoes and @riss2893 Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards