Attire & Accessories Forum

I think I hate my wedding dress!!!

So this past Saturday I went dress shopping with my two brides maids, my sister, and my grandmother. I tried on a few dress and one caught everyone's eye. My nanny and friends began to cry and said it was the dress. Being the type of person I am, I thought they were right and forgot all about the style I wanted, and we put a $400.00 deposit down. As soon as I got home and started looking a pictures I see everything I hate about this dress and I can not see myself wearing it. I have no idea what to do! Did anyone else have this same regret? What did you do, did you wear it anyways or try to convince the store to allow you to exchange it?

Re: I think I hate my wedding dress!!!

• It sounds like you care a lot about your family, which is great! But it is your wedding, so you have to remember to stay true to what you like. If I were you, I'd probably see if I could exchange it for another dress in the store. If they haven't already ordered it, it might be possible.

Can you show us a photo of the dress, compared with a photo of a dress that is more your style?
  • I agree with Maggie go back to the store alone, try on the dress.  What I did to help me decide on a dress (I was torn between two) is I had the sales lady put me in both put jewelry on me, shoes, the works,  then closed my eyes before I  looked in the mirror and imagine myself on the day of my wedding.

It sounds kind of lame and I felt kind of dumb doing it but it really worked for me.  I was dead set on a type of dress but once I did this I could see that what I thought I wanted wasn't what looked best in. So maybe this will work for you, but just be prepared to lose the money you put down if you change your mind, I don't think I have been to a single store that would let anyone transfer their dress deposit. 

Good luck!
  • The layered one is kind of like the on I put a deposit on, but its even more layered. That is why I am having second thoughts, I don't like all the layers after really look at the picture. The ruffly one is my dream dress and what I wish i would have got.
  • Did you try a version of the ruffly one on? If not the. Go back and give it a whirl.

Try the dress you bought on first.  Then try some different shapes (including one with a ruffled skirt) and see what you are drawn to more.  Don't make any rushed decisions and use your consultant.  They are the experts and will help you figure out what you really want.

• Thank You all so much! I just hope I get the chance to exchange it, the store is only open Thu-Sat and I got it last Sat. So if I call them tomorrow when they open back up hopefully they will understand and realize they didn't lose a sell or anything since they have been closed. Also I am still spending my money with them and even getting a dress that is $50.00 dollars more! So I hope they see it the way I do and allow me to switch dresses because this is one of the biggest days in my life and I would like to wear a dress I love!
  • I think you should be fine about changing your dress. I chose a dress similar to the dress you chose. I came back the next week and was able to move my deposit to a different dress since the first dress wasn't ordered. Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They didn't order mine, it was a dress they already had in my size that they are holding in layaway. Do you think they would still they me choose a different dress since i will still be spending my money with them?
  • the second dress in your photos is the one i choose i was not sold on it on the hanger but once it was on me i didn't want to take it off. all the dresses i thought would look good on me did not do anything for me and i hated them all. we did order a second strap for the dress

i am sure they can work it out with you as you did not tech order the dress custom made  try on both dresses again.

have them jack you up like monty would say on syttd atlanta shoes veil earrings and see what one looks better
  • the second dress in your photos is the one i choose i was not sold on it on the hanger but once it was on me i didn't want to take it off. all the dresses i thought would look good on me did not do anything for me and i hated them all. we did order a second strap for the dress

i am sure they can work it out with you as you did not tech order the dress custom made  try on both dresses again.

have them jack you up like monty would say on syttd atlanta shoes veil earrings and see what one looks better
    That is not the same dress I have, mine is not Online that one is just similar. Mine has more layers and not straight ones, the layers on mine are choppy and go everywhere and I just don't know if i like the layered look. The top is beautiful and beaded but i just can't get passed the layers.
  • i dont think it should be an issue, as you are still purchasing from them and they didnt have to special order it, they just held it.
    Thank you, And I hope you are right! I will find out tomorrow when they are open, i just hope they understand and know this day is so important to me and I just want a dress I love. I just do not want to look back at pictures and regret anything.
  • It really should be fine. You wouldn't be the first bride to change her mind :) but I totally understand the worry you have until you speak to the store. It will work out :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I already gave my advice on your situation but just so you know when you are going to post the exact same post on more than one board it's considerate to other posters to put XP for cross post or something in your headline b/c I almost gave you advice over on the etiquette board. 

Good luck with talking to the dress people today, hope you end up with what you want :)
  • Everyone thank you for all the help yesterday! I called them today and they will allow me to transfer my deposit to another dress!

Thank You, you all have wonderful weddings and good luck as well!!!
  • missax said:
    I agree that you should try it on again.

I bought a dress that my MOH & MIL loved on me. I took it home that day and began to regret the purchase the next day. I tried it on a few times throughout the week until I broke down crying to my now husband. He told me to try to take it back so the next day I did. I went to David's Bridal where I bought it and they were very understanding and let me exchange the dress. I went by myself so I wouldn't feel pressure from anyone else and ended up with a dress I absolutely loved.
    Thankfully I am able to do the same thing! I called this morning and the place I got my dress is allowing me to put my deposit towards another dress. I have also done the same, I keep looking at the picture of the dress and I can't see myself wearing it. I'm so glad it worked out for you as well because it is for me and I'm sure was for you, a huge day and us brides want a dress that we are crazy about!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards