Wedding Etiquette Forum

I think I hate my wedding dress!!!

So this past Saturday I went dress shopping with my two brides maids, my sister, and my grandmother. I tried on a few dress and one caught everyone's eye. My nanny and friends began to cry and said it was the dress. Being the type of person I am, I thought they were right and forgot all about the style I wanted, and we put a $400.00 deposit down. As soon as I got home and started looking a pictures I see everything I hate about this dress and I can not see myself wearing it. I have no idea what to do! Did anyone else have this same regret? What did you do, did you wear it anyways or try to convince the store to allow you to exchange it?

Re: I think I hate my wedding dress!!!

• I mean... not to be (too) snarky, but this is why I didn't go shopping with a huge group of people in tow.  It was me and my mom.  And she's smart enough to not push something on me that I'm not 100% into.

If you really hate it, then see if you can shift the deposit elsewhere.  Or, lose the deposit and lower your dress budget by $400.

Finally, you could suck it up and just wear it.  It's one day of your life.

And FWIW $400 is about twice what I spent on my entire wedding dress - I bought a totally plain one off the clearance rack at DB and my mom embellished it for me.  I think I tried on like 5 total and then just went with it.  So we might approach this sort of thing differently.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Call the shop right away and tell them you changed your mind and would like to apply your deposit to another dress.  I'm sure they will be accommodating since they are still getting your money.  Then go back and look at more dresses by yourself or with one trusted person.
  • The layered one is kind of like the on I put a deposit on, but its even more layered. That is why I am having second thoughts, I don't like all the layers after really look at the picture. The ruffly one is my dream dress and what I wish i would have got.
  • bre1431 said:
    The layered one is kind of like the on I put a deposit on, but its even more layered. That is why I am having second thoughts, I don't like all the layers after really look at the picture. The ruffly one is my dream dress and what I wish i would have got.
    I love them both haha. But I also have a huge poofy gown. Like others suggested, call the store and see if you can shift it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • bre1431 said:
    The layered one is kind of like the on I put a deposit on, but its even more layered. That is why I am having second thoughts, I don't like all the layers after really look at the picture. The ruffly one is my dream dress and what I wish i would have got.
    You like the 1st pic best?  Def call and see if you can get THAT dress and xfer the deposit to it if you try it on and still love it.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Thank You all so much! I just hope I get the chance to exchange it, the store is only open Thu-Sat and I got it last Sat. So if I call them tomorrow when they open back up hopefully they will understand and realize they didn't lose a sell or anything since they have been closed. Also I am still spending my money with them and even getting a dress that is $50.00 dollars more! So I hope they see it the way I do and allow me to switch dresses because this is one of the biggest days in my life and I would like to wear a dress I love!
  • One of my sisters bought a dress and then had a big change of heart and wanted to return it.  The store (Kleinfeld's) wouldn't refund her $1,200 deposit but gave her store credit.  She found a dress she loved at another store and sold the $1,200 store credit online.  Look into your store's return policy, hopefully they'll allow a refund or at the very least, store credit.

Another poster said it, but the fewer people you take dress shopping, the better.  I had just one sister with me when I picked my dress.  Your opinion is most important.  Good luck!

• eileenrob said:

One of my sisters bought a dress and then had a big change of heart and wanted to return it.  The store (Kleinfeld's) wouldn't refund her $1,200 deposit but gave her store credit.  She found a dress she loved at another store and sold the $1,200 store credit online.  Look into your store's return policy, hopefully they'll allow a refund or at the very least, store credit.

Another poster said it, but the fewer people you take dress shopping, the better.  I had just one sister with me when I picked my dress.  Your opinion is most important.  Good luck!

I sure hope they allow me to do in-store credit, since I plan to just find a different dress there and just apply my deposit to another on of there dresses.
  • kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    Is there something specific you hate about this dress? Even if you're stuck with the order, I'd encourage you to think about minor alterations--corsets, zippers, adding or removing sleeves or straps, changing the neckline, adding a belt or lace or bling. Why did everyone else like it so much?

ETA: the dress I ended up with is completely different from one I had envisioned. We were so torn. But the reality was that my "dream" dress was extremely pretty, but not AS pretty on my body as the one we finally went home with.

• kitty8403 said:
    Is there something specific you hate about this dress? Even if you're stuck with the order, I'd encourage you to think about minor alterations--corsets, zippers, adding or removing sleeves or straps, changing the neckline, adding a belt or lace or bling. Why did everyone else like it so much? ETA: the dress I ended up with is completely different from one I had envisioned. We were so torn. But the reality was that my "dream" dress was extremely pretty, but not AS pretty on my body as the one we finally went home with.
    I hate all the layers mine has and i just din not notice how much i dislike it till i was home. Now i just wish i would have went more of the way i had planned.
  • bre1431 said:

kitty8403 said:

Is there something specific you hate about this dress? Even if you're stuck with the order, I'd encourage you to think about minor alterations--corsets, zippers, adding or removing sleeves or straps, changing the neckline, adding a belt or lace or bling. Why did everyone else like it so much?

ETA: the dress I ended up with is completely different from one I had envisioned. We were so torn. But the reality was that my "dream" dress was extremely pretty, but not AS pretty on my body as the one we finally went home with.

I hate all the layers mine has and i just din not notice how much i dislike it till i was home. Now i just wish i would have went more of the way i had planned.

Sometimes the seamstress can take off big layers of fabric or tulle--just depends on the dress. But if sounds like you probably do need to try asking them to put your money toward another one. Good luck!
  • kitty8403 said:

kitty8403 said:
    Is there something specific you hate about this dress? Even if you're stuck with the order, I'd encourage you to think about minor alterations--corsets, zippers, adding or removing sleeves or straps, changing the neckline, adding a belt or lace or bling. Why did everyone else like it so much? ETA: the dress I ended up with is completely different from one I had envisioned. We were so torn. But the reality was that my "dream" dress was extremely pretty, but not AS pretty on my body as the one we finally went home with.
    Sometimes the seamstress can take off big layers of fabric or tulle--just depends on the dress. But if sounds like you probably do need to try asking them to put your money toward another one. Good luck!
    Thank so much! I need it.
  • The layered one is kind of like the on I put a deposit on, but its even more layered. That is why I am having second thoughts, I don't like all the layers after really look at the picture. The ruffly one is my dream dress and what I wish i would have got.
    Stupid box, I'm stuck :( Anyways, I'm not surprised you hate the dress you got, I think those are both nice but it looks like the one you got is REALLY different from what you wanted.  I agree with PPs, go back with fewer people and see if you can transfer the deposit onto a different dress.

Stupid box, I'm stuck :( Anyways, I'm not surprised you hate the dress you got, I think those are both nice but it looks like the one you got is REALLY different from what you wanted.  I agree with PPs, go back with fewer people and see if you can transfer the deposit onto a different dress.
    Thank you and i know they are completely different and both beautiful I'm just not crazy about that dress and I want a dress I am completely in love with. Tomorrow i will find out and if they let me I am just taking my Mom since she didn't get to go Sat and she really knows me best. Besides my fiance who i have been dieing to show my current dress to because I trust his opinion almost more then anyone (but maybe my mom) But i don't wanna ruin that special moment on our wedding where he sees me for the first time in it.    
  • @kitty8403  and all the rest of you have been more the helpful!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards