Nevada-Las Vegas

Did anyone have problems using an outside catering company for in suite reception?

I'm trying to do an in suite reception for this april, but i'm worried that there will be an issue if we do not use the hotel's own catering service. Here are the places i'm looking at for in suite about 50 people:

MGM Grand- skyline terrace, or loft
Mandalay Bay-Vista, media or Hospitatlity suite
Platinum Hotel- Terrace Suite

I mean, If I chose to not use there catering, Can they do anything about it if it's in my own suite? Also has anyone chosen to use a Villa or Cabana to host a wedding.

Re: Did anyone have problems using an outside catering company for in suite reception?

• I had my reception in the Vista suite, we had no issues with catering at all. All of our vendors including up-lighting, cake, food, my brother-in-law with a ton of booze, and food all got up hassle free. The bellhops even helped some of them bring stuff up to the room.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic PersonalMilestone BabyFruit Ticker
  • You won't have problems at Mandalay simply becuase they're so damn big that people rolling equipment, food, etc. across the lobby occurs all the time.  Just be careful about noise; it's not unheard of for them to ask you to leave, which kind of sucks on wedding day.  And be cautious of their habit of losing your reservation if you only book for one night.  If you plan to go with Mandalay, read this:  http://www.vegasgroom.com/Mandalay-Bay-THE-Hotel_4.html

Very few people on here do in-suites at MGM, not sure why that is, so unfortunately I don't have a lot of info on whether you'd run into a problem or not.

Platinum is pretty popular on here becuase of their great customer service and value; you may want to just ask them to price out an in-suite reception with your specs; it could be what you wanted to pay anyway so problem solved.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• kazzykazzy member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I did my afterparty at a media suite at Mandalay Bay. Working with Culinary Pros Las Vegas, booze was delivered from Lee's liquor, glass rentals from RSVP party rentals, and picked up my cakes and late night snacks from Whole Foods. They also provided a bartender for the evening, and she helped set everything up while we were eating downstairs at Border Grill.

Some things that made it easier:

- Having everyone up to the room more or less before 9pm, which is when the security guard was posted, and you'd have to do "pick ups" with a room key to get people up and down
    - Giving the runner some tip money to make getting stuff up with the bellhops easier. Greasing palms is always welcome in Vegas!
    - I left money and a note for the cleaning staff the day after. The room was kind of a wreck, (cucumber on the ceiling? don't ask...) and I felt bad. But we gathered garbage and I tried to clean up most of the crap. I never heard peep from Mandalay about it.

You can see photos on my blog if you like http://www.littlevegaswedding.com/2012/06/small-simple-at-the-springs-preserve/

There could be problems, depending on the hotel, in terms of catering. There are a few "safe" hotels, but your mileage may vary. When I did mine, I could not decide between Aria and Mandalay - in the end one of the reasons I went with Mandalay because my party planner said she had had very few problems with self catered parties there. When in doubt, trust the experts!

I think a lot of the reason people don't use MGM is because the rooms were kind of run down, to be honest. But their suite overhaul looks AMAZING - definitely a place to consider for parties these days!

As far as cabanas for the wedding, it might be difficult, unless it's a really small party as I think there are rules about how many people you can have there. The largest at Mandalay is the Moorea Villa, I think, which hosts 16 people. But then you might have to contend with topless sunbathers in your ceremony shots. :)

If you are really set on having a ceremony poolside and a self catered party, have you considered renting a villa from VRBO off the Strip or something similar? Some are specifically set up for large events.

// Little Vegas Wedding blog - click for modern Vegas wedding inspiration, ideas and venues! //
    // Springs Preserve + Border Grill bride, May 2010 //

• I think We decided to do the Ceremony seperate from where we are staying. To try and keep them out of the loop more or less.

-Ceremony at Tahiti Village...anyone heard of it? Really reasonably priced 1500.00
    -Photos
    -Guests will travel back to mandalay Bay
    -Free hour for guests to gamble/ Drink
    -Groom and I arrive.then it's cocktails at border grill for 1.5 hours
    -after party in the Media suite. I'm turning the media room into a dance room (RSVP Rentals for a dance floor. will bring our own karaoke machine).
    -The party will include Hors Doeurves, Drinks, and wedding cake.
    -Bridal/ groom party and various wedding guests will celebrate the night with a limo ride and to some kind of after, after party.

Anyone like the sounds of that?Smile
  • I've heard of Tahiti Village and actually booked there originally.

Your party sounds fun! Do you mind sharing how much you are paying for Border Grill? Is it a private space? Even without an after after party, what you have planned sounds great!
  • Thought I would update on the AMAZING PENTHOUSE I FOUND!

Though it's not as cheap as a Media Suite, I found a privately owned penthouse at the Palms. It has EVERYTHING!! Fully equipped kitchen, 1000sq ft balcony, private pool, two bedrooms 3200sq ft all together. they said it was "perfect for a wedding". it's through 33group.com. the best part though?

NOT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT USING THE PALMS CATERING/BEVERAGE SINCE IT'S PRIVATELY OWNED! OR BEING TO LOUD! i'm so excited. right on the strip, balcony, large, and not using the hotels catering. I couldn't have asked for a better place.

So my plans have undoubtedly changed. We are getting married on a thursday, because the room is 500.00 cheaper. 2000.00 for the room, but using an outside caterer and buying our own beverages is going to be so cheap!!
  • I have also contacted 33Group for the same penthouse at the Palms. Did you end up going with them and what was your experience like?
  • How many people does the suite hold?
  • I'm booked for the Hotel @ Mandalay Bay Presidential Suite 2,200 sq feet. I am nervous about the outside cater thing too but, Mandalay's in-house catering prices are INSANE!  100 bucks for a bottle of Absolute Vodka? Are you serious. That's crap vodka! I'm not payin 100 a bottle for that!! I have the suite for 4 day's so I'm hoping that my cater will come on Friday for set-up and the recp should be over before 9pm so, that should help too. Ugh, I'm sweating bullets over it.
    Anniversary
  • nkcamero, I love your idea!   How fun!

• jayjaay said:
    I'm booked for the Hotel @ Mandalay Bay Presidential Suite 2,200 sq feet. I am nervous about the outside cater thing too but, Mandalay's in-house catering prices are INSANE!  100 bucks for a bottle of Absolute Vodka? Are you serious. That's crap vodka! I'm not payin 100 a bottle for that!! I have the suite for 4 day's so I'm hoping that my cater will come on Friday for set-up and the recp should be over before 9pm so, that should help too. Ugh, I'm sweating bullets over it.
    I don't think you'll have any issues as long as you keep the noise reasonable.

• This looks like an amazing place but definitely not on the strip. It is definitely a cab ride from the strip and maybe an eight or 10 minute cab ride because of traffic. I would love this place but I'm not sure that my fiancé's going to go for it not being on the strip.
  • Does anyone know if bringing outside food/drinks to hotels other than Mandalay is okay?  We are going to stay at the Cosmpolitan and on Friday night, we want to have a "welcome party" in our suite with food and drinks - but would rather get everything outside of the hotel as it will be cheaper.  I could just ask the hotel but I'm nervous they will say no.
  • I say just do it haha. If you ask they can say no so just don't ask :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • km8706 said:
    Does anyone know if bringing outside food/drinks to hotels other than Mandalay is okay?  We are going to stay at the Cosmpolitan and on Friday night, we want to have a "welcome party" in our suite with food and drinks - but would rather get everything outside of the hotel as it will be cheaper.  I could just ask the hotel but I'm nervous they will say no.
    That kind of party happens in nearly every vegas hotel on a daily basis so no reason to worry or ask them.  In suite receptions are just typically a greater cause for concern because there are more vendors, more gear, more food, more everything, for a longer and louder duration.

• Thanks!  We were planning on getting some platters delivered from Whole Foods or we may even pick them up and I was worried that security may stop us or the delivery guy as they'd rather we use their catering for 10x the cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards