Just Engaged and Proposals

Larger Center Stone v. Pave Diamonds

Ultimately I know it really is up to me, and what I like. And more importantly, what the ring represents, which is our love and commitment.

My FH and I actually went shopping together for my engagement ring. Getting married was more of something we decided to do together. We're already all out of order - we have a beautiful 9 month old daughter.

We ended up getting a Zales Outlet Special Reserve ring. It is 7/8 cts with 43 diamonds. It is listed as having a retail price of $5,200 and we paid $1,500 out the door with insurance and tax. 

The ring is very pretty. I have noticed the edges are a little sharp as I've scratched my daughter a few times (it is a square setting with a rounder halo around it). But I know a lot of moms take their engagement rings off after having a baby because of this. 

I guess I'm most curious on other bride's ideas. We're obviously on a budget, so if you had a $1,500 budget, would you rather have a smaller ring (say, 1/2 ct) with a larger center stone, or  a more substantial ring with the pave diamonds? (as I post the pictures, I fall in love with it again).
imageimage

Re: Larger Center Stone v. Pave Diamonds

• It is a personal preference. But to me, I would pick the larger stone. I think the pave/ halo rings are a trend. I would rather have something classic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would pick the larger stone, but that's because I really don't care for halo or pave.
  • I also prefer a larger center stone, but I am not fond of pave taking the place of a center stone to begin with. 

But my opinion doesn't matter, because I'm not wearing it. Whether or not you like it shouldn't depend on what other people think. 

Anniversary
  • My budget was tiny compared to yours, and I wasn't looking at diamonds since my FI couldn't afford one and personally I wanted a moonstone anyways (I'm in love with the way they capture and play with light.  I can spend an hour just staring at it at different angles to see what colors it turns, lol), so I guess you can really take or leave my opinion based on that difference, but when I was making my final choice I was choosing between a ring with a large stone and one with a smaller stone but more interesting/substantial band.  I went for the bigger stone. 
  • If I had to choose, I'd prefer a smaller center stone instead of the pave. I'm not really a fan of super blingy rings. But it's not my ring! If you like this one, stick with it.
  • It's a very personal decision.  For my personal style, I was looking for a solitaire e-ring - they looked best on my hand when I was 'trying' them out w/FI.  I did not like the halo style because I felt they took away from the center stone.  My focus was on the cut (and a tiny bit on the color/clarity).  I always thought I wanted a 3-stone ring, but they didn't look right on me.

Anniversary
  • Daenaria86Daenaria86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2013
    I'm not necessarily basing my opinion or thoughts on with other's input. I was mostly just curious, and the general consensus is that bigger is better. And I absolutely understand and respect that.

I love the halo style ring. I had one for my first marriage - it was an emerald cut center stone with a halo, and two bands around the engagement ring. I loved it, but obviously can't repeat the same style. I also didn't want anything that any of our friends had - I wanted something different.

I've talked with my FH about it, and we are on the same page. We both love my ring. He does like the simple solitares, but they don't look right on my hand (imo). I generally like rings that are more opulant. And this ring fits that category. 

We are going to go back to where we got it from and take one more solid look around. If we don't see anything within our budget, then we'll know we made the best decision for us. I do think the ring is a very good representation of us and our family - a bunch of little pieces fit together to make something beautiful. It is unique, which is what my FH loves about it. We haven't seen anyone with the style of ring before. 

Pave rings I think are a great option for those on a tight budget, who want the larger carat weight. And with a custom wedding band, I don't think we could have gotten a better ring to represent our engagement.

Thank you ladies and keep the opinions coming! :)

**Edited for typo
  • This is definitely up to personal preference. Personally I don't care for halo settings, carat size, or solitaires. What I wanted was a three-stone ring with sparkly sides (I learned that was pave) but not pave stones so big you could clearly tell they were separate stones. I liked the glitter look and not a thick band. My amazing fiancée picked out the most beautiful ring for me!
  • edited December 2013
    I actually used to think I didn't like the pave look because I don't care for rings that look "bulky". This is partially because I'm a small person with small fingers and I wanted a ring that looked delicate and feminine rather than big and clunky (on me).

I didn't really tell my fiancé that though...I wanted him to pick whatever he wanted. All I told him was that I'd prefer something less traditional and not a diamond. He did a great job with my sapphire ring!! And I actually love the pave because the band is still delicate and feminine...it just has that bit of sparkle from the diamonds.
  • I have no opinion other than the two rings shown in pictures are really beautiful and wish both brides the happiest of lives.
  • The only opinion that counts is yours. If you love it, it's the perfect choice for you.

When we got engaged, my husband's budget would have covered a diamond solitaire, but we went with an Australian black opal because I loved it. Same cost, but very different looks. Yes, some women side-eye my ring, but I don't care. We both love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards