Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

My vow - Is it bad?

Ten years ago, when you asked me to Prom, I would never imagine you’d be the man I’m marrying today. I am truly blessed to have found you in my life. You have brought me so much happiness than I could ever ask for.

The hardest thing I ever have to do is saying goodbye to you at the airport, missing you from the moment you drive away. Even though we are apart now, you give me the strength to be alone. I know no matter how hard life gets, you will always be there for me. You’ve given me the strength to be better, to accomplish more, and let me believe in myself.

I don’t know what kind of challenge life will bring us in the future, but I know we will always get through it together. You are my best friend and I couldn’t hope for anyone better to spend rest of my life with than you. I love you and I vow to love you til the end of my days. 

Re: My vow - Is it bad?

• I love it. Beautiful. It's just not really wedding vows. I think this is something lovely you can say to him in a card. I believe that vows are more like lifelong promises. Vows of the heart, not like vows to keep the thermostat above 70. That's just me, but I feel it should be what speaks to your soul. A vow I will treasure in my soul. Vows are not a sweet love letter telling you how much you mean to the other. Just my opinion, but give it some thought. If you are vowing something, make it worth your soul.
  • I agree that it reads more like a letter than marriage vows. Read the traditional vows for a sense of what you're supposed to be promising. While we did write our own, I feel like there's a reason 'for better or for worse, in sickness and in health' has stuck around so long.
  • Lored said:
    I love it. Beautiful. It's just not really wedding vows. I think this is something lovely you can say to him in a card. I believe that vows are more like lifelong promises. Vows of the heart, not like vows to keep the thermostat above 70. That's just me, but I feel it should be what speaks to your soul. A vow I will treasure in my soul. Vows are not a sweet love letter telling you how much you mean to the other. Just my opinion, but give it some thought. If you are vowing something, make it worth your soul.
    This x 1,000. No one cares about how you'll promise to make french toast on Sundays. Definitely keep out the trivial stuff like that. I think you're heading in the right direction, OP!
  • Very beautiful. I don't think it's bad at all. I know it doesn't read as a vow, but I wouldn't change anything. My personal vows read sort of like this and I'm not going to change them at all, but we are also saying sacramental vows for our Catholic ceremony.

If you're going to say this and then when you exchange rings say the "through sickness and health", etc I would say these are perfect. If you're ONLY going to read these vows I would try to change it to something like Schatzi13 suggested.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for all the comments! I revised it and hoping this version is more like a vow!

Ten years ago, when you asked me to Prom, I would never imagine you’d be the man I’m marrying today. I am truly blessed to have found you in my life. You have brought me so much happiness than I could ever ask for.

The hardest thing I ever have to do is saying goodbye to you at the airport, missing you from the moment you drive away. Going through my days, living for the next time I see you again. It’s not easy to always miss you so much, but I am so fortunate to have found someone I love so deeply to spend the rest of my life with. Even though the circumstances make us apart now, you give me the strength to be alone. You make me so weak, yet so strong. I know no matter how hard life gets, you will always be there for me. You’ve given me the strength to be better, to accomplish more, and let me believe in myself.

I don’t know what kind of challenge life will bring us in the future, but with you, I have no fear. I couldn’t hope for anyone better to spend rest of my life with. You are my true love and my best friend. I promise to put your happiness before mine because your happiness is what’s most important to me. I vow to stand by your side in good times or bad. I vow to support your dream and lend you my strength. And most importantly, I vow to love you every day til the end of my life. 

• kjeng001 said:
    Thanks for all the comments! I revised it and hoping this version is more like a vow!

Ten years ago, when you asked me to Prom, I would never imagine that you’d be the man I’m marrying today. I am truly blessed to have found you in my life. You have brought me so much more happiness than I could ever have asked for.

The hardest thing I ever have to do is saying goodbye to you at the airport, or when you leave, I missing you from the moment you drive away. Going I go through my days, living for the next time I get to see you again. It’s not easy to always miss you so much, but I am so fortunate to have found someone I love so deeply to spend the rest of my life with. Even though the circumstances make often keep us apart now, you give me the strength to be alone. You make me so weak, yet so strong. I know that no matter how hard life gets, you will always be there for me. You’ve given me the strength to be better, to accomplish more, and let me  to believe in myself.

I don’t know what kind of challenges life will bring us in the future, but with you, I have no fear. I couldn’t hope for anyone better to spend rest of my life with. You are my true love and my best friend. I promise to put your happiness before mine because your happiness is what’s most important to me. I vow to stand by your side in good times or bad. I vow to support your dreams and to lend you my strength when you are weak. And most importantly, I vow to love you every day until the end of my life. 

Sorry, I tend to be a bit of a grammar Nazi at times, so here are some grammatical and wording corrections/suggestions. (see colored corrections in quote).  Some of it isn't so important when speaking, as opposed to in writing, but it might as well be correct, especially for one of the most important speeches in your life.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards