Wedding Reception Forum

Trying to figure out timing

I have been engaged for about 10 months and am finally just now planning! After several changes of plans and numerous potential dates, we have finally decided on June 21, 2014 and we reserved a beautiful State Park area for our wedding. 

I am going to admit up-front that I know very little about weddings, so please bear with me if my questions seem stupid.

I need to start planning but first I need to figure out what time the wedding should start. One of the stipulations of my wedding venue is that we need to be packed up, cleaned up, and completely out of there by 9:00pm. So I am trying to figure out what would be a good time to start the wedding? How long do weddings usually go for? We will be doing ceremony and reception all the in the same place. I really hate to start the wedding too early in the day, but I don't want to be rushing guests out. 

Also to give you an idea of timing, we will be having a buffet lunch/early diner (depending on time of wedding),  games (venue has horseshoe pits so why not), music, and lots of beer and wine. We will do the cake cutting, dances, and what not. 

So basically the sum it up, my question is: What time would you start the wedding and what time would you end it? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Trying to figure out timing

• A few more questions that might help us help you: If you have to be cleaned up and out by 9, how early can you get in? Can you get in the day before to decorate, or does it have to be done the day of? What kind of decorations are you putting up and how long (realistically) will it take to put up and take down? You can't ask your family or wedding party to help, you'd need to plan on doing it yourself or hiring people to do it. (Saying this so you can budget for it, and set up and clean up always take longer than you expect.) You'd also have to have people to clean up for you, if you don't want to do it yourself. What are the venue rules on decorations? Is it outdoors or indoors? What time of year? If outdoors, what kind of lighting is available if you're there after dark, and what is your backup plan for bad weather?
  • A few more questions that might help us help you: If you have to be cleaned up and out by 9, how early can you get in? Can you get in the day before to decorate, or does it have to be done the day of? What kind of decorations are you putting up and how long (realistically) will it take to put up and take down? You can't ask your family or wedding party to help, you'd need to plan on doing it yourself or hiring people to do it. (Saying this so you can budget for it, and set up and clean up always take longer than you expect.) You'd also have to have people to clean up for you, if you don't want to do it yourself. What are the venue rules on decorations? Is it outdoors or indoors? What time of year? If outdoors, what kind of lighting is available if you're there after dark, and what is your backup plan for bad weather?
     I can get in starting at 8am the day of. My MIL and her friend(s) are in charge of doing most of the decorating and fortunately the venue is pretty simple. It already has two large sheltered areas and tables, chairs, bathrooms, etc. WE just need to set up alter, chairs for ceremony, and all decorations. And then caterer and DJ will need to set-up as well. I know I have family that will help, but my mom is thinking of hiring some of my younger brothers's high school age friends to help with bussing tables and then take-down so I think we are covered there. Venue is outdoors in June. We have sheltered area in case of rain for reception but not for ceremony. We could always improvise though. Decorations are going to be relatively simple..just table clothes, centerpieces, and misc little decorations. The venue itself is gorgeous (lake, mountains, trees, wildflowers) so we don't really need to do a whole lot to make it pretty. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Also, thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sounds like the wedding should start at 11am or noon, then lunch reception following with games, etc. or you could get married a 3 or 4 pm, then dinner, then dancing the night away...until 9pm.
  • I would try to have everything finished by 7 pm, so that you have enough time to do your clean up.  That would give you 2 hours to get everything done after the reception.

2 PM Ceremony
    2:30 PM Cocktail hour
    3:30 PM Dinner
    4:30 PM - 7 PM Dancing and Games

If you are not having a cocktail hour, then move everything back an hour, with the ceremony starting at 3 PM

• Thank you so much for your help! I don't think we are doing cocktail hour, just because of the venue location. Is mid-afternoon too early for dinner, or will my guests just know not to eat a big lunch because of the ceremony time? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• It depends because we often tell brides who can't afford to provide a full meal to start their ceremony at 2 PM.  So it could really go either way.  But I would spread through word of mouth to your guests that you will be serving a full dinner.  I would then have a late breakfast and then wait to eat again until your reception starts.  While it wouldn't be needed because you are having your ceremony & reception in the same location, you could include an insert card about the reception.  Here you can let guests know that it would be outdoors with music, games, and an early dinner.  Some wording could be: Please join bride & groom immediately following their ceremony as they host their first dinner party!  Music, games, and delcious food & drink will be served.
  • That sounds perfect. Thank you for your help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards