Wedding Reception Forum

How long does it take for pictures?

We are having our ceremony and reception at the same location and NOT doing a first look. We will have the bride/bridesmaid pictures and groom/groomsmen pictures done before the ceremony, and after the ceremony we are having a cocktail hour. This feels like a stupid question but are cocktail hours usually actually an hour? I was planning on having an hour to do the photos with the whole bridal party, and parents and then the photos with only bride and groom. Is an hour enough time? Honestly I hate pictures doing pictures and I don't want to waste a ton of time with them, but I do want good pictures at the same time...

Re: How long does it take for pictures?

• You will hear this a lot, it depends on how many people are in the pictures, how many pictures you want take (different poses with the same groupings) and your photographer.  I think 1 1/2 hours is generally the deal.
  • We had the same set up as you. Ceremony and reception in the same location. We had a few pictures taken beforehand but not that many and the majority during cocktail hour. Our cocktail hour was only one hour. We were done pictures in about 45 minutes. That extra 15 minutes allowed us to get upstairs, my dress bustled and ready to be introduced.

Speak with your photographer.  They are generally well versed in getting a great deal of pictures done in one hour.  I think going past an hour is a bit too much, but you can extend to an hour and a half cocktail hour if you need to, but if you have an experienced photographer then an hour should be plenty.

• We had the same set up as you. Ceremony and reception in the same location. We had a few pictures taken beforehand but not that many and the majority during cocktail hour. Our cocktail hour was only one hour. We were done pictures in about 45 minutes. That extra 15 minutes allowed us to get upstairs, my dress bustled and ready to be introduced.

Speak with your photographer.  They are generally well versed in getting a great deal of pictures done in one hour.  I think going past an hour is a bit too much, but you can extend to an hour and a half cocktail hour if you need to, but if you have an experienced photographer then an hour should be plenty.
    45 minutes with no first look? You guys kick ass! The last 3 weddings I've been to they've taken 1.5 hours, 2 hours, and 2.5 hours during cocktail "hour" and it was so annoying waiting around for the reception to start!! 

45 minutes with no first look? You guys kick ass! The last 3 weddings I've been to they've taken 1.5 hours, 2 hours, and 2.5 hours during cocktail "hour" and it was so annoying waiting around for the reception to start!! 
    I mean there are only so many pictures and poses one can take and do. And we had an awesome photographer that knew her shit which is so very important if you don't want to spend hours taking pictures. I also think that many brides feel that they need to have multiple locations for pictures but fail to realize that in the end they will only display a few pics throughout their home and look at their disc or album once in a blue moon.

So some tips for future brides.  Hire a kick ass photographer and know that quality of the pictures always out weighs the quantity.

• I mean there are only so many pictures and poses one can take and do. And we had an awesome photographer that knew her shit which is so very important if you don't want to spend hours taking pictures. I also think that many brides feel that they need to have multiple locations for pictures but fail to realize that in the end they will only display a few pics throughout their home and look at their disc or album once in a blue moon.

So some tips for future brides.  Hire a kick ass photographer and know that quality of the pictures always out weighs the quantity.
    So agree with this- we just went to China in October and spent our entire time on the Great Wall taking 300 pictures yet 5 of them are our favorites and all the others really weren't necessary LOL 
  • Well I can't blame you for taking 300 pictures while on the Great Wall cause I would do the same!

• Thank you so much, I feel better about setting aside only an hour. My fiance and I are pretty good about getting pictures done in a timely fashion, we did our engagement shoot in half an hour and the photographer said it usually takes an hour or more. Its just everyone else we have to worry about, lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards