Wedding Reception Forum

Dad is deaf need alt to father/daughter dance

My father has been deaf his entire life and I would like to do something other than the traditional father/daughter dance with him. He has agreed to dance with me at my wedding, but I kind of want to respect the fact that he cannot hear and doesn't really dance! I don't really want to do a slideshow or anything with music during this period, but any other ideas would certainly be welcome!

Thanks!

Re: Dad is deaf need alt to father/daughter dance

• Give him a toast thanking him for all he has done for you throughout your life and either have somebody sign while you speak or sign and speak yourself.  Deaf or not, some dads just don't want to dance.  Cheers to you for respecting his wishes/needs.
  • Your dad has agreed to dance with you, does he normally not dance?  Does he dance with your mom?  I don't have any alternatives, but perhaps a song with a heavy beat so he can feel the music.

I do think the toast to your dad that either you sign or someone else signs for you would be great.

• This made me think of the scene in Mr. Holland's Opus where he tried to share his love of music with his deaf son by signing to a song with lights going to the rhythm. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0IMASimhRo
    I am not sure what else you want to do for your dad, since he has agreed to dance with you.  
  • If your dad can dance and has agreed to do it with you, then I think you might as well have a father-daughter dance even if he can't hear the music.

If you don't do that, then I agree with the idea of toasting him with sign language.
  • My BIL is deaf. He danced at his wedding, he doesn't normally. We had an interrupter at the wedding. At my first wedding he actually signed a reading and the interrupter translated it for him. I would talk to him about it and see what he thinks. He might want to dance with you as it is a trading and would like to have a picture of it. My dad doesn't dance much, so we played about 90 seconds of music and then faded it out after my photog gavel us the thumbs up saving he had the photos he needed. NOBODY really wants to sit through 3 or more full songs of spotlight dances.
    GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• My niece is deaf and she and her friends play a video dance game ALL THE TIME. They crank the bass way up. Maybe do the dance with him and dance near the speaker so he can feel the bass. 

Instead of dancing maybe you and your dad can sign a song together and choose a song that has lyrics with deep meaning to you. He would just follow your lead. 
  • Dance with him. Typically these are slow songs so it's a simple movement-you lead to stay on point and let him know the song us coming to an end. His legs aren't broken---he is unable to hear. Perhaps practice the dance if you want to do a more upbeat song and you both can share that. <3
  • If he is willing to do it, I say go for it. My dad isn't a dancer either, so I wasn't about to give up probably my only chance to ever dance with my father. But I do think it's very nice of you to be so aware of things and try to come up with other options to make sure your dad is comfortable and enjoys your wedding.
  • doeydo said:
    This made me think of the scene in Mr. Holland's Opus where he tried to share his love of music with his deaf son by signing to a song with lights going to the rhythm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0IMASimhRo
    I am not sure what else you want to do for your dad, since he has agreed to dance with you.  
    I adore this idea- and it brought tears to my eyes :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards