Favors

Shot glass favors

So what does everyone think of having an engraved shot glass, just with our last initial? We both come from families who like to drink and we thought instead of wasting money on bottles of champagne that no one will drink, we give everyone a shot glass in a nice gift box and they can shoot a liquor of their choice for the toast. 

Re: Shot glass favors

• No, thank you. I don't need a shot glass, especially not one with someone else's initial on it. Unless by chance we have the same initial. Also, I love champagne. If you don't want to "waste" it, just have it available with your other booze. Then people can drink it if they like it, or toast with their beverage of choice.
  • I wouldn't take this. Especially if the initial wasn't mine.

Also, are you saying that you want people to drink from them for the toast? Personally, I wouldn't take something out of a box and just drink out of it without washing it. Not to mention that if I wanted to take it home, it would be wet and I'd have to figure out what to do with it.

• staar987staar987 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2013

I wouldn't take this. Especially if the initial wasn't mine.

Also, are you saying that you want people to drink from them for the toast? Personally, I wouldn't take something out of a box and just drink out of it without washing it. Not to mention that if I wanted to take it home, it would be wet and I'd have to figure out what to do with it.

• No. I hate personalized anything when it comes to favors. What the heck am I going to do with one or two shot glasses with your initials on them? I would honestly skip the favors and use the money to upgrading your bar since you say your families are big drinkers.

• Uklaw88 said:
    So what does everyone think of having an engraved shot glass, just with our last initial? We both come from families who like to drink and we thought instead of wasting money on bottles of champagne that no one will drink, we give everyone a shot glass in a nice gift box and they can shoot a liquor of their choice for the toast. 
    Skip this and save the money.  Nobody is going to want anything engraved with your initials.  If you really want favors, edible usually is best.
  • I dislike personalized favors, and from the looks of it, so do a lot of people. I don't mind a random shot glass, but not with someone elses name/initial on it. What if you put the shape of the state you got married in?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Super cute idea! We are wine drinkers, so we got wine bottle stoppers with hearts on them for our guests! I'm all about getting something your guests can use- candy gets so overrated! 
  • Super cute idea! We are wine drinkers, so we got wine bottle stoppers with hearts on them for our guests! I'm all about getting something your guests can use- candy gets so overrated! 
    Thank you for being the only person to be nice on this board. I understand that a shot glass idea is not everyone's cup of tea, but people are just down right rude. 
  • Uklaw88 said:
    Super cute idea! We are wine drinkers, so we got wine bottle stoppers with hearts on them for our guests! I'm all about getting something your guests can use- candy gets so overrated! 
    Thank you for being the only person to be nice on this board. I understand that a shot glass idea is not everyone's cup of tea, but people are just down right rude. 
    So people not agreeing with your idea and giving you other options equals being rude.  Yeah, not so much.

• Uklaw88 said:
    Super cute idea! We are wine drinkers, so we got wine bottle stoppers with hearts on them for our guests! I'm all about getting something your guests can use- candy gets so overrated! 
    It's not the shot glass that is not everyone's cup of tea, it's the engraving of YOUR initials on a gift you are giving your guests that we are not fond of!  Please reread the comments.

And just because people don't like your idea does not mean they are rude.  Please consult a dictionary if you need help with the definition.
  • Uklaw88 said:
    I will also recommend just upgrading the bar or doing anything else then engraving something. If you absolutely have to do the shot glasses, do it, just don't engrave it. 

Anniversary
  • My brother and SIL did this.  But I have never used my favor from their wedding.

So I suggest not doing this or any other "personalized" favor.
  • I say if you love it, do it! No one else on here knows you, your family and friends, or what they'd like! Everyone will have an opinion, and you can't please "everyone." :-)
  • Uklaw88 said:
    I'm happy you appreciated my words.

Sorry not everyone likes your idea, but I don't think any of these people are invited to your wedding, so I wouldn't worry about it. Do what you want & remember it's your day. Your monogram or wedding date, will give your friends & family something to remember your date by. It may not be something they have forever, but it's the thought that counts.

When is your wedding?
  • JoanE2012 said:
    Uklaw88 said:
    It's not the shot glass that is not everyone's cup of tea, it's the engraving of YOUR initials on a gift you are giving your guests that we are not fond of!  Please reread the comments.

And just because people don't like your idea does not mean they are rude.  Please consult a dictionary if you need help with the definition.
    JoanE2012- Don't be mean. 
  • Uklaw88 said:
    How were the other members, including myself, being rude? I even said I LIKED the shot glass idea- Just because someone isn't totally into the idea does not mean they are being rude.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• JoanE2012 said:
    Uklaw88 said:

JoanE2012- Don't be mean. 
    If someone is going to call my initial post as well as others RUDE, you better believe I'm going to call them out on it.  It's not rude if we disagree with others.  The OP asked for input.  She got it.

It may be YOUR WEDDING, but we are trying to provide honest input.  What is the purpose of asking a question if you don't want to hear truthful input?

• Not a fan of anything with someone else's initial on it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • CaliMel11CaliMel11 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2014
    The thing I don't like about shot glasses is that well, they're shot glasses. It's not like you can really use them for anything else, non-drinkers are stuck with a favor they can't use, and really...I just prefer edible ones myself.
    But if it fits with your friendgroup and everything then go for it! I just am wondering, why not serve after dinner liqours and do the toast with those in the little cognac looking glasses? If they're liquors, it makes more sense to use the little glasses that those are typically served in instead of shot glasses.

• We are giving what The Knot says is a "shot glass", but in reality, is big enough for a tea light or even votive candle. Our wedding is right after Easter and FI and I love jellybeans, so we are putting Jelly Belly's in each glass.

We did have a claddaugh (we're Irish), our names, and our wedding date printed in white ink...

BUT-the ink washes off when run through the dishwasher, so we felt that anyone who didn't want a personalized memento for the rest of their life could still utilize this favor.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI has a bunch of shot glasses from a wedding he went to for his best friends. They put their names on them, along with their wedding date and two hearts. Needless to say, they ended up with a LOT of them left over because no one wanted to take them (lots of drinkers in the crowd so that wasn't the issue) and that's how FI now has like 5 or 6 of them (he doesn't care what they say, he just wanted shot glasses and they gave him a bunch after the wedding). I like the idea of putting the state that you're from on them as a PP suggested. I don't think I'd drink out of it at the wedding (because an unwashed shot glass is not going in my purse) but at least it wouldn't be personalized for someone else and I'd be more likely to take it home.
  • edited January 2014
    Since when did "opinions please/tell me what you think" = only post if you're going to validate my idea, regardless of how good or bad it is.

OP, plenty of posters gave great examples of why you could better use the money elsewhere. Also, keep in mind, just because people might not leave them behind doesn't mean they plan on keeping them. I have read plenty of posts of similar favors where posters said they took the favor because they didn't want to be rude, but ended up throwing it away when they got home.

Edited: Spelling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards