Wedding Woes

I don't want a pizza Christmas

Dear Prudence,
For Christmas this year, my husband and I are traveling to his hometown to celebrate with his family. His parents are divorced, so we have made plans to see them separately. My husband just informed me that Christmas Day will be spent with his mother and her side of the family, and we'll all be eating pizza. I'm easygoing and appreciate that we can be with family members, but Christmas is my favorite holiday and it bums me out that we'll be celebrating so casually (not to mention pizza is one of my least favorite foods). I'm known in our families as a pretty decent cook and I thought about offering to cook a more elaborate dinner for everyone, but I also don't want to commit a faux pas by suggesting this. What should I do?

—Hold the Pepperoni

Re: I don't want a pizza Christmas

• Ask for an order of pasta or wingdings or something and appreciate that maybe they want to spend quality time together, not slave over a hot stove and dishwasher time together.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Sounds better than chicken shit sandwiches, canned vegetable soup, lime fluff, and deviled eggs.  Feel sorry for my husband sleeping with my egg farts.

• From the way the letter starts "For Christmas *this* year..."  it makes me think this doesn't happen every year.  I agree with @dharmabunny - order something that isn't pizza for yourself and enjoy the company.
  • How... how could pizza be a least favorite food? I can't even fathom this.

Also, I would love to have a pizza Christmas. Pizza Christmas at home with the dogs in our pyjamas watching MST3K instead of driving around humanity to visit all of the people who expect to see us on Christmas day.

• My family tadition is pizza.  yay pizza :)
  • It is disappointing to sacrifice some deep traditions that we have with our own families.  It took me a year to get over not having a "real" Thanksgiving one year!  If you have to go this route, then definitely order yourself something that is not pizza and try to enjoy the company.  Add it to the memories of a lifetime with your new hubby and family.
  • Last years Christmas my H and I went out for a sushi dinner, it was so good we are doing this year. Point is, who cares what you are eating. Be merry and bright and all that other fun stuff.

I don't trust people who don't like pizza.
  • fffffuuuu I wish I could have sushi Christmas dinner

• of all the things people complain about...
  • fffffuuuu I wish I could have sushi Christmas dinner
    I can't lie, it is pretty awesome. One great perk of living a couple thousand miles away from family. Total control of the holidays:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards