Wedding Reception Forum

Candy Buffet Help

Our wedding is 11/2014 and we have purchased all the glass jars for the candy buffet.  Our kitchen table is FULL.  Needless to say.... these jars are going to take A LOT of candy to fill!  So we wanted to order a little at a time over the next year so we don't go broke on candy in the months right before the wedding.  
How early do you think will be okay to begin ordering candy if we store it unopened.

Thanks!!!! :-)

Re: Candy Buffet Help

• sfuse76 said:
    Our wedding is 11/2014 and we have purchased all the glass jars for the candy buffet.  Our kitchen table is FULL.  Needless to say.... these jars are going to take A LOT of candy to fill!  So we wanted to order a little at a time over the next year so we don't go broke on candy in the months right before the wedding.  
    How early do you think will be okay to begin ordering candy if we store it unopened.

Thanks!!!! :-)

Ehhh, you still have over a year to go. I'd really hold off on buying the candy for a while. Chocolate gets nasty and hard candy gets gross and chewy. Have you ever accidentally eaten last year's Halloween candy? Yuck.

Why not just set up a little candy fund that you contribute a little money to every month until you're just a couple months out and ready to buy fresh candy?

• I think it depends on the kind of candy but I have been slowly eating a large bag of m&m's for like a year and they are still good even after being opened for awhile.

Just make sure to store them in a dark, cook place so that anything that can melt, won't.

•  I like the PPs suggestion of setting money aside for the 'candy bar' fund. Whatever you would plan to spend early, set that $$ aside & buy it closer to the time. Chewy candies go hard, some hard candies go chewy, chocolate goes funky, etc. You definitely want to have fresh candy/chocolate, & setting the money aside will be less of a blow to your wallet all at once! We had our candy purchased the day before the wedding for our candy bar to ensure freshness. I'm sure you wouldn't need to do it quite that close to the wedding, but I wouldn't do it too far in advance! 

*J
  • JMalettas said:
     I like the PPs suggestion of setting money aside for the 'candy bar' fund. Whatever you would plan to spend early, set that $$ aside & buy it closer to the time. Chewy candies go hard, some hard candies go chewy, chocolate goes funky, etc. You definitely want to have fresh candy/chocolate, & setting the money aside will be less of a blow to your wallet all at once! We had our candy purchased the day before the wedding for our candy bar to ensure freshness. I'm sure you wouldn't need to do it quite that close to the wedding, but I wouldn't do it too far in advance! 

*J
    Completely agree! This is definitely your best bet...you don't want rotten/melted candy out
  • Thanks everyone!!  FI and I have decided to set the $$ aside until about 2 months before the wedding so we don't ruin our candy buffet with nasty old candy.  Defiantly feel better about it now!  :-)
  • NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Edited quote box to remove vendor info

You aren't allowed to post here.  Be gone, vendor!

@KnotPorscha
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • How early would you guys suggest buying the candy? I'm a lot closer to my wedding and I wanna buy mine soon, but I'm not sure how soon...
  • @oliviaester1991  Depending on delivery times I would wait until 2-3 weeks out to place the order.

Also, for those of you who are doing the bigger bowls/vases for candy...  I saw a tip/trick on Pinterest that might help.  Take a plastic cup (preferably clear) and place it top down in the bottom of the jar.  When you pour the candy around it you don't need as much candy to fill it up.

This only works when you know you are ordering more candy than you need so the jars are full.  This isn't good if you have a huge wedding and the candy will all be eaten.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Another tip about the candy buffet: H and I went to a friend's wedding that had a candy buffet and it was great except for the guests, children included, that would grab at the candy with their bare hands. There were scoops and tongs provided but not many people used them. I only took the candy that came in its own wrapper. Please keep that in mind, your conscientious guests will appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards