Wedding Reception Forum

XP: Last day to test?

A while ago (maybe 1 or 2 months) I called the reception venue about setting up a time to taste the food. They said they would call me back when they have another party that orders the same / similar menu so we can come in then (they would just add a little extra for us to try) since they don't keep the "special events" menu items in stock and they order them as they need it. When do you think I should start to worry about not getting in for a taste testing? I know I still have about 7 months or so until the wedding (July) but I don't know when the latest day should be for the testing or when I should begin to get worried / contact them again if I haven't heard from them yet??

Re: XP: Last day to test?

• I talked to my venue about 6 weeks ago to do a tasting also. I'm getting married in May and I'm getting a little antsy. I know this is their slow season so that's probably why we haven't done one yet, but I think after the first of the year I'm going to go ahead and contact them again and get a firm date. I would wait if I were you for a little longer and then contact them again. 
  • I hear about tastings being done much closer to the wedding date, like 2 months out.  There's no need to set your menu much earlier.  The venue will know how much advance time they need to order the right stuff, and it won't take long to do printed menus (if you're having them).
  • Our tasting was 2 months out, but they made it special for us - not an add on to another event. I'd start pushing 4 months out. When the wedding season starts back up I'm sure they'll have some dyes available for you to come in. It's the slow season now :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I got married in July and did our tasting at the end of April, mainly because that was when my Mom was in town and since she was paying I felt like she should at least taste the food.

Also our tasting was made just for us, not added on to other peoples tastings.

I agree with the 4 month out timeframe as to when to start pushing.

• Maybe I need to clarify.....

They're not adding our tasting to someone else's. What they are doing is if another wedding orders the same or similar menu then they will order extra for us to come in and do the tasting with. (The extra is being paid by the venue).

@Maggie0829

@photokitty

@CrazyCatLady3

@tammym1001

• I think that is kind of shitty of the venue. You shouldn't have to wait and hope that some other wedding orders similar food that you want to taste. The venue should just order in the food that is necessary for your tasting. I really can't believe that their wedding food is really that different then their everyday menu that they don't have some items in stock.

• Depending on the type of reception you are having, the tasting may need to be done 3-4 months ahead of the wedding date. If your response card requires meal selections, you need to have the tasting done early enough to order and print the invitations.
  • Most of DH's tasting are 2-4 months out.  He is a chef btw.

Ours was 10 months out only because it was the only time we would be in town before the wedding.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think that is kind of shitty of the venue. You shouldn't have to wait and hope that some other wedding orders similar food that you want to taste. The venue should just order in the food that is necessary for your tasting. I really can't believe that their wedding food is really that different then their everyday menu that they don't have some items in stock.

@Maggie0829

Yeah I wasn't thrilled when I found that out. I know it is hard to believe but since we're in their banquet hall (building next to the actual restaurant) they decided to have a completely different menu. I couldn't help myself so I called again today and got the same response. The lady I talked to today said that the menu I picked is a popular one so she doesn't think I will have to wait too long. We shall see....

• @hlvonb
    My venue's tasting was done before booking, but they did something similar, cooking extra for our tasting (our menu was whatever menu the event had, didn't get to pick..which was ok by me since we pretty much tried everything!). I actually liked it that way for one main reason: we got to taste how good (or bad) the food was when made in mass quantities. It's not hard to make a good meal for 2-20 people. I know that doesn't help you with your question, but I wanted to add that you're not alone in the way they set it up.

Have fun when you do go for the tasting! :)
  • hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2013
    @hlvonb My venue's tasting was done before booking, but they did something similar, cooking extra for our tasting (our menu was whatever menu the event had, didn't get to pick..which was ok by me since we pretty much tried everything!). I actually liked it that way for one main reason: we got to taste how good (or bad) the food was when made in mass quantities. It's not hard to make a good meal for 2-20 people. I know that doesn't help you with your question, but I wanted to add that you're not alone in the way they set it up. Have fun when you do go for the tasting! :)

**STUCK IN BOX**

Thanks! It helps that others went through it too. I agree cooking for 2 - 20 people is a lot easier than cooking for 200 people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards