Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ceremony, Lunch, and lawn games

I'm in the very early stages of wedding planning. I'd like to have my wedding outside at a beautiful garden. I have a couple places in mine that I've talked to.

We're inviting 100 people, but due to distance most likely will have about 80.

I don't want to do a processional. My plan is to have people seated at their places, have the exchange of vows, and then play lawn games (will also have board/card games available) and have lunch. It's going to be pretty laid back, but important enough that our families feel like it's 'real'.  I have a lot of younger cousins that are invited so I plan on having games for children as well (hulahoops, bubbles and jump ropes.) as well as croquet, bocce ball, ladder ball, maybe horseshoes, etc. You get the idea.

My question is, would it be better to have lunch first then lawn games? I figure that having lawn games after the ceremony will allow me to visit our guests without interrupting their lunches. It would also allow time to take pictures in the garden with our families. I'll have the lawn games set up nicely, but obviously people can choose to sit and chit chat if they'd like. Both our families love games :).

If I had the lawn games at the end, it'd be nice for people who finish fast or those with kids so they didn't feel like the kids had to sit there while the adults ate. And, many of my family members have a lot of kids (6-12) under the age of 8. This would allow those with many kids to have half the children entertained while the other half get help getting the food, etc. But, I also think once the meal is over people would feel like they had to stay and play a game and then leave. I don't want the games to be a "she planned it, we'll be considerate and play but it's obvious this things over and we'd rather go home."

I'd love your point of view on this. And, timing as well. How long should I have the games be if they are before lunch? An hour?

Thanks!

Much love!

Elisabeth

Re: Ceremony, Lunch, and lawn games

• Options
    I'd have games with light refreshments before lunch. Kids can resume games once they finish and people are used to the bride and groom eating a meal with tgem

Anniversary
  • Options
    You could do a traditional cocktail hour right after the ceremony (non alcoholic drinks are fine too) and have the games out, so you can take a few minutes to take pictures and greet people. Then set up the lunch service. People might be more likely to play games after lunch. I think you're overthinking this. People who want to play games will, people who don't will just sit and chat. Some will leave right after lunch, but they'd probably do that regardless of the entertainment. Just put stuff out and let it happen. Sounds like a fun, lighthearted afternoon.
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013

eahuber said:
    I'm in the very early stages of wedding planning. I'd like to have my wedding outside at a beautiful garden. I have a couple places in mine that I've talked to.

We're inviting 100 people, but due to distance most likely will have about 80.

I don't want to do a processional. My plan is to have people seated at their places, have the exchange of vows, and then play lawn games (will also have board/card games available) and have lunch. It's going to be pretty laid back, but important enough that our families feel like it's 'real'.  I have a lot of younger cousins that are invited so I plan on having games for children as well (hulahoops, bubbles and jump ropes.) as well as croquet, bocce ball, ladder ball, maybe horseshoes, etc. You get the idea.

My question is, would it be better to have lunch first then lawn games? I figure that having lawn games after the ceremony will allow me to visit our guests without interrupting their lunches. It would also allow time to take pictures in the garden with our families. I'll have the lawn games set up nicely, but obviously people can choose to sit and chit chat if they'd like. Both our families love games :).

If I had the lawn games at the end, it'd be nice for people who finish fast or those with kids so they didn't feel like the kids had to sit there while the adults ate. And, many of my family members have a lot of kids (6-12) under the age of 8. This would allow those with many kids to have half the children entertained while the other half get help getting the food, etc. But, I also think once the meal is over people would feel like they had to stay and play a game and then leave. I don't want the games to be a "she planned it, we'll be considerate and play but it's obvious this things over and we'd rather go home."

I'd love your point of view on this. And, timing as well. How long should I have the games be if they are before lunch? An hour?

Thanks!

Much love!

Elisabeth

Have a cocktail hour first (this is when you take photos), then serve lunch.  After lunch have the games.  (Similiar to an evening ballroom reception where you eat dinner first, then have dancing).  I wouldn't go all crazy with the games.  If I were a guest, I'd much rather mingle and socialize with guests than play games.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards