May 2014 Weddings

Anyone else wanting to lose some weight before wedding?

How are you doing it?  Tips, tricks, certain exercise programs??? 

I weigh in at 138 and would like to lose 10 before the wedding to be back to my high school weight.  I just started pilates (I've heard it works wonders for lean muscle results but it makes me feel like a total loser when I'm doing it).  I am watching what I eat but not going into full blown dieting mode until after the Holidays because I would never be able to actually stick to it until then.

Re: Anyone else wanting to lose some weight before wedding?

• I'm on the exact same page! I'm 135ish (give or take a pound or two, depending on the day) and I want to lose 5 -10. I'm about a size 6 now, but so mushy in my midsection, and I reeeeally need to tone my thighs and arms. I've already dropped 50 lbs (extra weight I packed on after a hip injury and surgery a few years ago), mainly by cutting back on snacking, increasing green tea/water intake, upping my veggie intake, and spending time with my bestie: the elliptical! I used to do Pilates and loved it -- it's fun when you get into a rhythm with it!

• I've lost 30 so far, all utilizing apps. I use my fitness pal to calorie track. I stay within my calories/macros. When I feel the need to cheat, I still do it, as long as it stays within my daily goals. Also I use C25K to run, which I could never do before. I ran 60 miles in 9 weeks & lost 12lbs and 4 inches in those 9 weeks.

Now that I bought my dress, my goal is to loose 10 more lbs and tone up my arms, abs and legs. My fitting is in April, so I have time.

I found tho, that it's so important to find out what works for you and do that. Maybe someone can't run, but they can walk. Walking is better than doing nothing at all. Just do what you like because you'll be more prone to stick with it.

• Nope, not wanting to. Because then ill have to have my dress altered again and since it already cost 294.....well I think the point is made!lol. I would like to tone my arms up though
  • I'm on the exact same page! I'm 135ish (give or take a pound or two, depending on the day) and I want to lose 5 -10. I'm about a size 6 now, but so mushy in my midsection, and I reeeeally need to tone my thighs and arms. I've already dropped 50 lbs (extra weight I packed on after a hip injury and surgery a few years ago), mainly by cutting back on snacking, increasing green tea/water intake, upping my veggie intake, and spending time with my bestie: the elliptical! I used to do Pilates and loved it -- it's fun when you get into a rhythm with it!
    It sounds like we must be built very similar.  My arms SO need toned and I hate my lower belly.  I too wear a size 6 but so want to be back to my 4!!!

I am hoping once I get used to the Pilates I will love it too.  It definitely works your muscles. 
  • I definitely want to lose some. I am at 152 right now. A comfortable maintainable weight for me is 140-145, but I gained a lot after my Ironman event. I hope to be down under 140 by the wedding. I have had success with Weight Watchers before, so I might go back. I am also doing Barre and running. I have been a runner for years, though, so there is no weight loss benefit to me there.
    It sounds like we must be built very similar.  My arms SO need toned and I hate my lower belly.  I too wear a size 6 but so want to be back to my 4!!!

I am hoping once I get used to the Pilates I will love it too.  It definitely works your muscles. 
    Agreed! I so miss being a 4, and the belly I have now makes me feel so much larger than I am. Ditto for my arms when they're squashed against my sides... Definitely need to fix that before I put on my strapless dress! haha

• I'd like to lose about another 5-10lbs. I have a hard time sticking with something, though I have lost about 10 lbs already just by eating smaller sizes and trying to watch what I eat. 

What I really need is to find an exercise program I can stick with.

Anniversary
  • I would like to lose about 10 pounds myself. I've been trying for about 6 months and have had no luck. I even hired a registered dietitian and a personal trainer with no luck. If you ladies have any suggestions I would love to hear them. I already work out 4 days a week (which is about all I can fit in my schedule) and eat pretty healthy. I have no idea what else to do!
  • I want to lose some weight as I'm still carrying about 15lbs of baby weight - and my son is now 4 :/ but I'm worried about having to get the dress majorly altered if I lost too much.. but we're going to the Riviera Maya for our honeymoon and there is no way I'm putting on a bikini until I tone up my abs and thighs!
  • I would like to lose about 10 pounds myself. I've been trying for about 6 months and have had no luck. I even hired a registered dietitian and a personal trainer with no luck. If you ladies have any suggestions I would love to hear them. I already work out 4 days a week (which is about all I can fit in my schedule) and eat pretty healthy. I have no idea what else to do!

@tammym1001 Are you always doing the same things when working out? Even if you switch it up from day to day, if you're doing the same exercises week in and week out for a while, your muscle groups adapt and you stop seeing results. It can be as simple as switching up your cardio (bike vs elliptical vs treadmill vs aerobics) or trying different versions of exercises for each muscle group (ie: dumbbell flys and tricep dips instead of push-ups). I also try to vary my calorie intake -- I'll eat on the lower end and low-fat for a couple of days, and then throw in a higher cal, high fat day to kickstart my metabolism and get it working hard again.

• @pumpkinsandturkeys - no I do different work outs. I actually have a couple different people I work out with and we do different things all the time. As for the food, that would be nice to do but my body hates me. It will take me weeks to lose 1 pound if I really watch what I eat, but I can gain 5 pounds in one weekend if I don't eat right (and it's not just water weight that comes right back off). So I try not to have high fat days because it just puts me right back where I started from. 
  • I feel like no matter what I do in the amount of exercise or what i eat, i stay the same always. I'm pretty athletic though but you would still expect some change. hmph.

Calculate the amount of calories your body should have based on your age, height, weight, and exercise amount.  Then stick to it consistently.  Counting calories has never failed me.  Awesome apps on smartphones as well that help you track.  Food journals always keep me on track and I make my fiance' watch me weigh myself every Sunday morning so I am accountable to someone.
  • I too am in the needing to loose 10-15lbs (in theory, I could stand to loose a few more, but I don't want to have wedding dress fitting problems).  Mostly I want to tone my arms.  Both FI and I want to get into some exercise back into our lives, however we are waiting until after the holidays.  Neither one of us want to worry about it while all the yummie food is being passed around the table.  So we are just waiting until the new year.  Not that we are stuffing our selves currently in a "this is the last time I'll eat something I love" kind of way.  We are already trying to eat at least a little healthier on a regular basis.  But the real work begins January! :D
    Anniversary
  • So when are we really going to lose wt? I figure if I loose weight now I might gain it all back in February ! I think I'll get serious in march maybe april?  My goal is to lose 7 lbs
  • KiKIQueen said:
    So when are we really going to lose wt? I figure if I loose weight now I might gain it all back in February ! I think I'll get serious in march maybe april?  My goal is to lose 7 lbs

I'm starting ASAP! (Although, I'm all bloated and feel gross right now because I have my period, so that's not helping) I figure if I wait too long, I might not lose as much as I want to. This way, I have plenty of time!

• I would like to tone my arms and upper back because I have a strapless dress and I want to look good in pictures
  • We should start some kind of little group/thread to support each other and keep each other motivated!

• I love this post.  I like that we're including things on our board that you can find on the main boards, but it's more personal here :)

I'm definitely in on the motivation bandwagon.  I'm definitely interested in losing some weight and toning up before the big day - especially my arms and back since those will be on display.  I'm not putting a number on it yet because I tend to psych myself out, but I've been working out more consistently lately and trying to eat better - the holidays definitely make that more difficult.

I don't know if any of you use Instagram, but I've found a lot of really motivational accounts on there.  I actually started a second one just to document my progress and follow all fitness stuff.  #grinderglamchallenge is a photo a day challenge that's fitness related and fun.  It's amazing how supportive people can be. 
  • @ohxhi- That is great to know. I use Intsagram and I have been looking for challenges to do to help with toning my arms and my abs.

I think it would be great for us to start a sticky to be able to easily go to for motivation and to celebrate our successes!!

• @Tnt082013 - I love that idea! 

I'm still trying to figure out a hashtag for wedding pics that doesn't make me gag, so I'm definitely open to hearing what ideas you all have- I like to think I'm creative, but not when it comes to that.  Anyone else who uses IG, let us know and we can get that started :)
  • Just curious if any of you use myfitnesspal? It's basically an online food journal, and it's nice because you can look at each others journals to get some ideas on what to make/eat. It free to use, and you can do it online or there's an amazing free app. You can have "friends" on it, and encourage each other to keep up and stay motivated. It never shows your weight (thank goodness), but it will show up to your friends if you lose weight.

Anyway... if any of you are interested, I would love to add you! :)
  • I lost 15lbs doing Shaun T's hip hop abs!
  • FI & I are both trying to loose weight for the wedding...we joined a gym in Aug and have been pretty good about trying to get there at least 3 times a week (and he even goes to yoga on Sunday mornings with me- that's love!!), but there have been a few weeks we just couldn't make it due to work and things. I've also been much more aware of what & how much I'm eating and trying to get Fi to do the same (which is a task in itself). I too use myfitnesspal @kellibastien - I love the app, it just makes things so much easier, and its a great way to really track your progress (I love seeing that little graph line go down with each pound!), but I have to admit that I've been slacking on entering in my logs this past month or 2.... feel free to add if ya want: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/pixierockstar23
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • FI & I are both trying to loose weight for the wedding...we joined a gym in Aug and have been pretty good about trying to get there at least 3 times a week (and he even goes to yoga on Sunday mornings with me- that's love!!), but there have been a few weeks we just couldn't make it due to work and things. I've also been much more aware of what & how much I'm eating and trying to get Fi to do the same (which is a task in itself). I too use myfitnesspal @kellibastien - I love the app, it just makes things so much easier, and its a great way to really track your progress (I love seeing that little graph line go down with each pound!), but I have to admit that I've been slacking on entering in my logs this past month or 2.... feel free to add if ya want: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/pixierockstar23
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • For us arm ladies, I found this http://shrinkingjeans.net/2013/07/30-day-arm-challenge/  We could all motivate each other and start this on Jan 1st :D  Let me know!
    Anniversary
  • @kellibastien @artteacher23 i have that!  I was doing great with it for about a month and then i started slacking.  I bet i'd be better at it if i was being held accountable :)  add me jrd5067!

@kristen625 I'm in! Everyone always says arms are the most important thing for brides to focus on and I couldn't agree more.  Mine need some attention.
  • @Kristen625 - I tried to click on the link and it says it isn't available. Can you try to link to it again. I will do the 30 day arm challenge.
  • @tammym1001 http://shrinkingjeans.net/2013/07/30-day-arm-challenge/ Try that.  Otherwise I did a google search for 30 day arm workout challenge and found this.  The website is shrinkingjeans.net.  I bookmarked it.  I think what I will do is look it up on my phone, and then take a screenshot of the workout so its on my phone.  Hope this helps!
    Anniversary
  • Here is an image of the workout.  The first number is the number of pushups to do, the second number is the length of time you do a plank in seconds, and the third number is the number of chair dips to do.  On the website it shows you how to do all those things...but at least with this you all have can see it
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards