African American Weddings

To Weave or not to weave...that is the question

What are you doing with your hair? Im natural and I really want to do a natural updo, but im so used to getting weave for special occasions. The idea of some long flowing and fabulous weave is tempting, but there is also something romantic about wearing my natural hair and having a softer and more simple look...choices...

Re: To Weave or not to weave...that is the question

• edited December 2013

<----  see picture for this girl's vote.

it's not even really about "the look" necessarily (for me) it's about control.  I do not wanna try to figure out how to be the tendril tamer on my wedding day.   That's just me though, i'm the type to be obsessed with that one non behaving twist. There are some gorgeous styles and brides who are uber experts at getting it right on the first try (please see mrs. meek's pics) 

eta:  whatcha leaning towards?

• <----  see picture for this girl's vote.

it's not even really about "the look" necessarily (for me) it's about control.  I do not wanna try to figure out how to be the tendril tamer on my wedding day.   That's just me though, i'm the type to be obsessed with that one non behaving twist. There are some gorgeous styles and brides who are uber experts at getting it right on the first try (please see mrs. meek's pics) 

eta:  whatcha leaning towards?

This is exactly what im afraid of. That im going to have a twist out of place or a major shrinkage...my natural hair is so unpredictable and I usually dont mind the fact that my hair has a mind of its own, but now on my wedding day...
  • Mrs. Meek's chiming in :-) 

I wanted to look like me in my wedding pictures so I stayed with my natural look.  I literally only straighten my hair about once a year.  I understand the control thing and I was a bit worried about getting my hair right because I didn't want it to be frizzy, but it worked out...

Of course you have to do what you're comfortable with.  Good luck :-)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • marsm4 said:

Mrs. Meek's chiming in :-) 

I wanted to look like me in my wedding pictures so I stayed with my natural look.  I literally only straighten my hair about once a year.  I understand the control thing and I was a bit worried about getting my hair right because I didn't want it to be frizzy, but it worked out...

Of course you have to do what you're comfortable with.  Good luck :-)

Do you have any pics of your hair on your wedding day. I completely agree with what you said about wanting to look like yourself. I wear twist outs or my fro 90% of the time, and my fiance prefers my natural look so I really want to try to wear it on our wedding day
  • @raeah219 Check out my post," Pro Pics" plenty of pics of my hair there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Im natural also but umm im going to have to throw some weave in it only because im a starting natural and my hair isnt long enough

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• marsm4 said:
    @raeah219 Check out my post," Pro Pics" plenty of pics of my hair there.
    You were a gorgeous bride! I love your hair. Your hair grade is a lot different from mine. My hair is a lot kinkier and more frizzy than yours
  • I have been natural for 7 years but I am not one to really wear my hair it ints natural state...too much I dont know what to do with it little patience not creative can't braid...get my drift lol...I am wearing sewins now to get my hair to grow and I will probably wear my own hair for my wedding...MAYBE
  • @raeah219 Thank you.  Do you know any stylist that specialize in natural hair styles?  my cousin wears her hair natural but she's not really able to style her own her.  She goes to a lady that does natural hair styles and her hair is always so cute! You could try a few out and see how you like them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Weave... someone said weave? Yessss weave it up. 
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • I have long natural hair. Idk what to do with it. My has similar hair and got a sew in for her wedding and was so happy so now she feel like I should do exactly what she did lol. I want to look like me too but I don't want to deal with this mane I got.
  • My hair is natural too but I wear it straight.  I either wear a weave or have it in a bun, so I'm leaning towards wearing a weave or clip-ins on my wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will be un-be-weavable To make my life easier because my hair has a mind of its own and will fall before I get my dress on... So I don't have to deal with it I will have a weave My hair is natural
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love this post. I'm a natural as well going to NOLA for my wedding IN AUGUST and I know it will be humid. I live in Austin, TX but I straighten my hair once every few weeks, like @LouisianaLove33 said I don't know what to do with my natural hair. I watch youtube :-) I don't know what to do with my hair for the wedding bc I want to look like myself also.
  • Im so unsure Im natural as well but dont want to wear my hair on my big day. I live in fla and if my wedding day is anything like the weather has been this month so far. I will be a hot frizzy mess (literally hot) I want a soft updo so I want weave but Im scared that if I have my hair out it will frizz and I'll look super crazy
  • @marsm4 I love your hair... so prettyful
  • Tchavon1984  Thank you :-)

I understand where ya'll coming from.  I got married in November in Chicago so humidity wasn't going to be an issue.  I say experiment as much as you can with different style to see which natural styles can hold up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love this post. I'm a natural as well going to NOLA for my wedding IN AUGUST and I know it will be humid. I live in Austin, TX but I straighten my hair once every few weeks, like @LouisianaLove33 said I don't know what to do with my natural hair. I watch youtube :-) I don't know what to do with my hair for the wedding bc I want to look like myself also.
    CHILD!! You are getting married in one of the hottest and humid months in the swamp LOL! I keep my hair wrapped until i get in a building...If I know I am going to a club I rock curls so that way IF my hair frizzes it won't be too bad but baby to wear it straight and puff up NO MA'AM PRESS HAM! What styles do you like? What is your look that you are going for on your wedding day?
    CHILD!! You are getting married in one of the hottest and humid months in the swamp LOL! I keep my hair wrapped until i get in a building...If I know I am going to a club I rock curls so that way IF my hair frizzes it won't be too bad but baby to wear it straight and puff up NO MA'AM PRESS HAM! What styles do you like? What is your look that you are going for on your wedding day?
    LouisianaLove33

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• misstira said:
    Love this post. I'm a natural as well going to NOLA for my wedding IN AUGUST and I know it will be humid. I live in Austin, TX but I straighten my hair once every few weeks, like @LouisianaLove33 said I don't know what to do with my natural hair. I watch youtube :-) I don't know what to do with my hair for the wedding bc I want to look like myself also.
    LouisianaLove33
    misstira LMAO hush...I dont have a NOLA accent AT ALL...you want to hear a NOLA accent...Listen to Toya Wright talk...now that is a NOLA accent!
  • LouisianaLove33 YEA BABY ITS THERE.... YOU JUST DONT HERE IT LOL (IN MY BEST TOYA VOICE)

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• misstira said:
    LouisianaLove33 YEA BABY ITS THERE.... YOU JUST DONT HERE IT LOL (IN MY BEST TOYA VOICE)
    Bo and Tash say i sound southern and country as hayle...
  • I don't even know what I want to do lol. I used to live in Leesville, LA and I did the something. Kept it tied up until I had no choice other than to take it down. I think I want a curly updo that I can take down at the end of the ceremony and it still look good. My scalp doesn't like bobby pins.
  • misstira said:
    LouisianaLove33 YEA BABY ITS THERE.... YOU JUST DONT HERE IT LOL (IN MY BEST TOYA VOICE)

as 13 brown eggs.

Look, thank you Tira, it's been killing me for more than a year.  I've heard this accent before but where?   Toya.   good googamooga Toya.    With the slight exception that I don't need subtitles to understand CaseyLee but same intonation and all that. 

• misstira said:

as 13 brown eggs.

Look, thank you Tira, it's been killing me for more than a year.  I've heard this accent before but where?   Toya.   good googamooga Toya.    With the slight exception that I don't need subtitles to understand CaseyLee but same intonation and all that. 

lol YOU kill me! LOL why was is so hard to think of Toya...she is really the only person from NOLA that I can think of that is in the limelight and you hear her accent. Ellen is from NOLA and she doesn't sound like she's from there...its funny because the black people and white people in NOLA have two totally different accents but live in the same city! Funniest shyt ever to me!
  • lol YOU kill me! LOL why was is so hard to think of Toya...she is really the only person from NOLA that I can think of that is in the limelight and you hear her accent. Ellen is from NOLA and she doesn't sound like she's from there...its funny because the black people and white people in NOLA have two totally different accents but live in the same city! Funniest shyt ever to me!

Because I could hear her but not see her.  When she and Tiny were on together sometimes they would slip into sounding like each other and it made my spine hurt I just couldn't.  Like I said you're not that deep with it or I'd need a valium before we get on the phone.   Ellen WHO?  DeGeneres?  I would've never even guessed she was from the south let alone Nola, she doesn't sound like anything.

• lol YOU kill me! LOL why was is so hard to think of Toya...she is really the only person from NOLA that I can think of that is in the limelight and you hear her accent. Ellen is from NOLA and she doesn't sound like she's from there...its funny because the black people and white people in NOLA have two totally different accents but live in the same city! Funniest shyt ever to me!

Because I could hear her but not see her.  When she and Tiny were on together sometimes they would slip into sounding like each other and it made my spine hurt I just couldn't.  Like I said you're not that deep with it or I'd need a valium before we get on the phone.   Ellen WHO?  DeGeneres?  I would've never even guessed she was from the south let alone Nola, she doesn't sound like anything.

DEAD AT THAT WHOLE DAMN STATEMENT LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO
    IDK I HEAR THAT ACCENT VERY WELL... BUT YOU ARE RIGHT IT ISNT THAT BAD TO WEAR YOU ARE LIKE REPEAT THAT AGAIN HONEY LOL LOL LOL

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• misstira said:

as 13 brown eggs.

lol YOU kill me! LOL why was is so hard to think of Toya...she is really the only person from NOLA that I can think of that is in the limelight and you hear her accent. Ellen is from NOLA and she doesn't sound like she's from there...its funny because the black people and white people in NOLA have two totally different accents but live in the same city! Funniest shyt ever to me!
    THIS DAMN BO LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL 

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

yes ma'am she is from NOLA! I am glad that you all don't need a valium before we get on the phone....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards