Wedding Party

Problems with my future sister in law

I was sitting at a table with a few coworkers of mine and my future sister in law when I was asked about my wedding dress. As I was explaining it, she interrupted me to tell them about the rest of my dress. This isn't the first time, she has also done this with our honeymoon....as I am talking about it. How do I approach this so she knows it's not her wedding and not ok to discuss my wedding without sounding like a jerk.

Re: Problems with my future sister in law

• Uh, there's no way to approach that without sounding like a massive jerk. Maybe she's excited about your wedding? Give her a break. 
  • It sounds like she's excited about your wedding. How old is she? Is there any way that you could learn to appreciate her enthusiasm? So many brides complain that their FILs aren't happy about the upcoming wedding.

Otherwise, I agree with Addie, if you don't share the details, she won't be able to fill them in, during conversations.

• I agree with the PPs.  Wherever your FSIL is coming from, she can't steal your thunder if you don't give her any.
  • Stop sharing information with her, how does she know information about your honeymoon anyway??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MarielP10 said:
    I was sitting at a table with a few coworkers of mine and my future sister in law when I was asked about my wedding dress. As I was explaining it, she interrupted me to tell them about the rest of my dress. This isn't the first time, she has also done this with our honeymoon....as I am talking about it. How do I approach this so she knows it's not her wedding and not ok to discuss my wedding without sounding like a jerk.
    Does FSIL always do this when any story is being told?  I know many people who HAVE to be the story teller.  If she does this normally, why would this change for your wedding?

And PP are right, don't share details with her, so she can't be the one to tell everyone else about it.  Also give her a break, she is probably really excited!
  • Stop telling her shit. Problem solved.
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
  • MarielP10 said:
    . How do I approach this so she knows it's not her wedding and not ok to discuss my wedding without sounding like a jerk.
    The best thing to do here is to send out an email to all of your friends and family and request that they not discuss your wedding.  Maybe make it into a poem or song.
  • MarielP10 said:
    If that's the only problem you have with your FSIL, then bless your heart. 

Agree with PP's stop telling her shit, and she's excited for you. Is it a problem that someone you'll be attached to for life likes you?
  • Unless she is giving out details that you have specifically asked her not to (which doesn't sound like the case, as you are talking about these things as well), or that she is talking about details to people not invited (again, doesn't sound like the case here), then I don't think she is doing anything wrong.  She sounds excited for you!  Enjoy it...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards