May 2014 Weddings
Options

5 Months to go, are you freaking out yet?

For all May 3rd brides, exactly 5 months to go until our big day! And less than 6 months to go for ALL May brides! What is the one big item you still have not checked off your list that you are freaking out about? For me, it's definitely the cake! I plan on having a small-ish 2-tier round cake, with cupcakes and other dessert items for our dessert table. I'm definitely slacking off about it and I should probably kick my butt in to gear before everyone gets booked up for next spring!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 5 Months to go, are you freaking out yet?

• Options
    May 2nd here....and yes now I am starting to freak a bit. Its getting to the end of my grad class semester and the craziness of the holidays/work so I haven't had much time to really do & plan the things I had hoped, like transportation & hotel. *grumble*grumble*
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    It still doesn't feel "real" to me -- is that weird? I'm well aware that we're getting married, and I've gotten to the point where it feels weird when my ring ISN'T on (as opposed to when it is), but I'm still kind of like... Really? I definitely don't have cold feet and I am excited to be married because I've waited almost 5 years for this, but at the same time, not much is going to change for us after getting married. Maybe that's why it's not really setting in? I'm hoping it hits me in the new year, once we get closer to the day and I start finalizing everything.

• Options
    I still have quite a few big things to do.  DJ, photographer, and cake.  We still need to figure out who the heck is going to marry us.  Yeah, we have a lot to do....but the STD are out! :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @pumpkinsandturkeys - No, that's definitely not weird! I took my ring off to do yard work this weekend, and freaked out at one point because I forgot I took it off! And like you said, not much is going to change for us either. I'm still not used to calling my fiance MY FIANCE! I can't imagine what it's going to be like calling him my HUSBAND!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just ordered our STDs on Sunday, so they aren't even mailed yet.  AHHHH!  I know, I know....they should have been mailed out a month ago!  I don't have bridesmaid's dresses picked yet, although that decision will be made this week, for sure.  Then, there is the cake, flowers, catering.....yikes.  Is anyone else slacking this much???
  • Options
    I haven't picked out BM's dresses yet. One of my BM is pregnant and due mid January so we were trying to wait until after she had the baby. Hopefully we aren't too late on that. I also have no idea where we are actually getting married or who is going to marry us. I should be way more stressed out about that than I am. All my DIY projects still need done too, but I'm waiting until after the holidays because I have too much stuff going on with that.
  • Options
    My biggest to do is the caterer.We've talked and hashed out rough price and deposit. But i havent been able to book yet(no contract signed)so that is the one thing im really freaking about.most of my big stuff is done.I am starting to worry abou forgetting the little things. I am even dreaming about stuff and waking up worried about crap like ive just had a nightmare! Good Greif..lol
  • Options
    I'm most freaked out about transportation. Everyone is traveling, and we are staying downtown. I have to rent a bus to take us all to the venue, about 30 mins away. There's a lot to lose in translation, and I won't be there to manage it. It freaks me out on a daily basis.

On another stupid freak out - yesterday, I was looking at my photog's blog, and he had a great shot of the bride laughing her ass off at something the groom was saying. And I thought - what if we aren't as fun? What if we are stiff? What if we have no fun, funny shots from our wedding? So stupid. Of course we're fun.
  • Options
    @klburke88 I'm the same way! I canNOT get used to the word 'fiancé' -- it sounds so weird to me! FI laughs at me because I keep calling it the F word haha

• Options
    My mom has taken wedding planning on as her hobby, so basically everything for my wedding (May 31st) is all planned out and almost finalized except for my bouquet. I can't decide if I want all roses bouquet or something more elaborate like my bridesmaids. I know what I like and don't like but the little details and juggling isn't much fun for me so I'm glad that my mom loves it so much! We make a good team and I know it's been so special for her too! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just ready to get on with it already! Still need to figure out the invitations (going to DIY or have them printed through VistaPrint...simple) but stuff like decorations and what not I don't want to start too early and have to store it for months.
  • Options
    Vistaprint is FANTASTIC!! I used them for my save the dates and also my invitations and RSVPs and literally everything else paper related. I bought a Groupon for Vistaprint and was able to spend 400$ for 700$ worth of wedding stuff. SO helpful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Um....I realized on Dec. 4th that I have UNDER FIVE MONTHS (we're getting married May 3rd) and I freaked out! haha....we have all the big stuff booked, my bridesmaids have all ordered their dresses (2 of the 4 already have them at this point), we figured out tuxes last weekend....right now we're working on ordering invitations and then we have to figure out all the little details - we have to choose our dinners, decide on our cake/cupcakes, order cookies for the cookie table, figure out how we're doing place cards...it's go time!!!

@icecreamcono - I'm with you....we went to 7 weddings this year and the one couple took absolutely amazing pictures.  I keep thinking, will we even get one like that? I'm sure we'll be fine! Your pictures will look like you....and you'll be having a blast :)

• Options
    I'm getting married May 16th, I have pretty much everything under control, but I am starting to freak out a bit!! I don't have favors, I just ordered my invites, I need to do my mock up for my flowers, figure out first dance song, intro song, all that stuff. Just the little details I get. I am starting to get stressed now!
  • Options
    I have to add that I'm not counting down the months, I'm counting down the days. I wrote it up on my dry erase board at home. It helps me pass the time, becasue there is little movement everyday that I can see. And it does help me to put things into perspective..today we hit the 159 days to go mark.YEESH!Doesn't seem so far away
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  Tomorrow marks the 5 month mark for me.  By the time FI and I are married, we will have been engaged for just under two years.  I feel like I've been stuck in this vortex of time, like there was always so much of it and the wedding was always so far away (do you guys remember how excited we were when it was may 2013 and we realized we didn't have to say "next May" anymore? haha).  Five months sounds like nothing, but it definitely hasn't registered in my head yet.  Maybe in January?  Then we'll be in the same year.  

Yikes!
  • Options
    ohxhi said:
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  Tomorrow marks the 5 month mark for me.  By the time FI and I are married, we will have been engaged for just under two years.  I feel like I've been stuck in this vortex of time, like there was always so much of it and the wedding was always so far away (do you guys remember how excited we were when it was may 2013 and we realized we didn't have to say "next May" anymore? haha).  Five months sounds like nothing, but it definitely hasn't registered in my head yet.  Maybe in January?  Then we'll be in the same year.  

Yikes!
    This just gave me a mini panic attack. LOL
  • Options
    Ahh less than 5 months! I can't believe how fast time is flying. We've been engaged for a year now and I always took my time getting everything done but now I feel like I need to get my butt into gear! This month I will decide on my invites and get those done, right after the holidays we will work on getting the tuxes (we already know the colors and everything, just need them to get sized) and my BMs will order their dresses this week! Busy busy busy, but I am making progress haha we have a tasting in Feb. for the food so that's when we will decide on our menu items.
  • Options
    We've only been engaged since August (but together 4 and a half years), so part of me is like, "What? What do you mean, our engagement is almost half over already? No. ...Really?" Haha. I think I'm also still wrapping my head around the fact that we're fiiiiiiiiiiiiinally getting married.

• Options
    Im with pumpkinsandturkeys. We got engaged in August so time is just flying by for me.Weve also been together for 4 years.
  • Options
    Yeah time seemed to have flown by!  I too got engaged in August, but we hit the year mark this last sept.  We will have been together just over a year and a half by the time we are married.  It has been a whirlwind!  And I just need time to pause for a moment so I can get a bunch of things done.  So yes, I'm freaking out a bit too :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Christmas Eve will be our 5 month mark... we only got engaged in October but for some reason it felt like I had a lot more time than I do :/ we just met with a caterer Wednesday but still nothing finalized there!  ugh getting married is so much work!
  • Options
    akopitzke said:
    Christmas Eve will be our 5 month mark... we only got engaged in October but for some reason it felt like I had a lot more time than I do :/ we just met with a caterer Wednesday but still nothing finalized there!  ugh getting married is so much work!
    We got engaged in October as well, with Christmas Eve as the 5 month mark. We haven't finalized our menu either! Eek. We'll get there! Bridesmaids dress shopping happening this weekend so that's another thing checked off!
  • Options
    @akopitzke & @lordmelissa - We got engaged in October too! I haven't seen anyone else doing their wedding so soon after engagement so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! :) I thought I had sooo much done after booking the venue and buying my dress, and now I'm realizing that I still have a lot to do!
  • Options
    There is a lot to do, but it's definitely doable! Especially if you have a venue like mine were they pretty much do everything! But the list is definitely longer than I'd like. 
  • Options
    @lordmelissa ugh bridesmaid dresses are absolutely the worst. I of course had to pick an apparently difficult color and my MOH just had a baby so she is all sorts of hormonal and not exactly thrilled with any of my choices. luckily those won't take as long as my wedding dress!

@malmondo1020 short engagements are kind of a thing where I live. Had a friend get married this past August after a 4 month engagement. mine was actually kind of long having 7 months but wow do they fly by!
  • Options
    May 17th for me.  The caterer at the church is kind of hard to pin down, so I am hoping to get him to meet with us towards the end of January. We also need to decide on cake, flowers, and reception decorations.  Starting counseling in February.  Waiting to hear back from bridesmaids on their dress choice since I gave them a color scheme for the dress and shoes.  Kind of freaking out a little since I am a grad student and need to spend time both studying and planning.
  • Options
    I started freaking out a bit about the 5-month mark as well! Seems like enough time, and then in other ways it doesn't! Most of our big stuff is done, it's little things now, like selecting songs, booking the honeymoon, some DIY projects. But my list is still a mile long!

Question: Is there anyone who has decided not to provide transportation to/from the ceremony/reception? All of it is taking place in the same spot, and the hotel for out-of-town guests is so close, that we figured we can get everyone to carpool. My dad rented a couple 15-seat vans to get everyone there and back, if needed. It's not fancy, but it seemed crazy to pay so much for a bus for guests when they're literally driving for just 5 minutes!
  • Options
    @domey19 I have actually never heard of transportation being provided for guests - must not be a common thing where I live. I did however purposely reserve rooms at a hotel that offers a free shuttle and said they would shuttle guests back and forth. We have limited parking at the venue so we're trying to cut down on the number of cars. My FI and I decided against renting anything fancy for ourselves as we didn't really want to spend the extra money. We'll probably just use his car and make sure its detailed before the wedding.
  • Options
    I recently went to a wedding where the ceremony and reception were about 20 minutes away from each other. The bride and groom chartered a bus for guests that would also take them back to the hotel after the reception. I thought it was really thoughtful. Our ceremony and reception are at the same location, but I'm considered chartering a bus that will take guests from the hotel to the site and back. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards